Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AVG TIME TO GET GURU PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 09:40 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another reason to purchase from GURU, SFR and Powerworks is because they are one of the sponsors for Rennlist......Keep that in mind
Old 10-05-2004, 11:33 AM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

of course i would be pissed if i didn't get my parts for 3 months and they told me i would etc.. but it does know good bashing him since these threads are useless.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daniel951
of course i would be pissed if i didn't get my parts for 3 months and they told me i would etc.. but it does know good bashing him since these threads are useless.
Daniel, I have to respectfully disagree with you. This is a web board for US not tuners. Period. When a newbie comes on here and asks the question "what chips should I buy", 20 people pipe up and give a vendor's name (lately it's been Guru but that tide is changing). What they fail to mention is that they may never get their products when they order them, they may have issues with back firing, cold starts, hesitations, etc....... I also see people recommend a product who have NEVER even tried it. What is the logic behind this? Additionally I see people who say XXX is the best when it's the only product they've ever tried and have ZERO proof to support that claim. I also find it hysterical that people who have a chip upgrade and nothing else are recommending products like their Corky Bell to others in one thread and asking people to diagnose their bad DME relay or failed power door locks in another.

As far as this thread goes, I think it's absolutely appropriate. If Guru don't like it, too bad. I recall MANY threads before he was in business giving his 6 page dissertation on how a CA "tuner" blew his headgasket on a dyno so if he was against these types of threads how would I or anyone who's been on this list for a while know who that tuner is/was? Unless of course his opinion "flipped-flopped".

If a particular tuner doesn't like me bitching.....too bad. I could care less and can find a boatload of people to take my cash. I have had dozens of people e-mail me about this issue over the last year because they don't have ***** to post online in fear that they may eventually need a four page diagnostic plagerism regarding an issue on thier car in the future. I, and a couple dozen others on the list don't need that sort of information and are free to say what's on our minds.

To a certain degree I have no sympathy for a guy who gets jacked by a tuner because many times they didn't do their research or let the problem go on forever before adressing it. I also love it when a guy gets shafted more then once by the same tuner because that just validates that iognorance catches up to you. Remember guys, tuners should be here to serve us if they take our cash. We're not here to serve them through their lifelong issues, growing pains and lies. I'm shocked and somewhat disappointed that John D allows certain people to even be a site sponsor when they don't necessarily hold business ethics in the highest regards.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:15 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

bravo jeremy, well said, exactly what i was thinking. to those who have had good transactions with guru, i'm happy for you, really i am. but that doesn't excuse the fact that others have been screwed.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:38 PM
AlexE
Pro

Nicely said Jeremy.

Agree 100%.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:45 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

You hit the nail on the head again Jeremy well said.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:53 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with the negative and positive comments. I think the bitching is good for upcoming buyers if it gives insight and reason for thier complaint.
I personaly am in the market for upgrading my 951. Ive narrowed it down to vitesse or Guru, currently i have been leaning towards guru since I find their site gives much more info on what i want. Just by websites alone Guru seems to be a much better company. The map stage 1 kit seems to be exactly what im looking for as far as upgrades as well as 55 injectors. This post has given me lots of insight on what to expect and quite frankly is making me want to go with vitesse instead, but i have no clue what they have in stock. I find their site very limited on info in areas other than the stage # kits(I cant find anything similar to guru's map stage 1 kit). If someone who has dealed with vitesse could give me insight on what they sell with more detail (similar to Gurus detail) id appreciate it, I really want something like Gurus kit. Another point of concern is ease of installation. Gurus site makes me feel much more comfortable in feeling that their kit will be fairly easy to install without having to do tuning. Vitesse seems to need more info before you can tune your car right? Am i mislead here?
Also is Danno the only guru vendor? is it his business or is he just a distributer? If their are other distributers then id just go with them. It would be nice to have some backround info on what/ who im buying from(and what im buying) before i drop close to 1500 into my car....
Old 10-05-2004, 02:02 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

Danno is Guru, but you can get the link AFM and everything else you need from other sources. Speedforce racing also sells the MAP kit, and I'm sure it is very similar to the Guru setup. My advice to anyone dealing with Danno is to make sure he is ready to ship before you send the money and be very clear about it. The thing that has pissed most of us off is the broken promises about shipping times, not the long wait. (well the long wait sucks too)

Justin
Old 10-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
I agree with the negative and positive comments. I think the bitching is good for upcoming buyers if it gives insight and reason for thier complaint.
I personaly am in the market for upgrading my 951. Ive narrowed it down to vitesse or Guru, currently i have been leaning towards guru since I find their site gives much more info on what i want. Just by websites alone Guru seems to be a much better company. The map stage 1 kit seems to be exactly what im looking for as far as upgrades as well as 55 injectors. This post has given me lots of insight on what to expect and quite frankly is making me want to go with vitesse instead, but i have no clue what they have in stock. I find their site very limited on info in areas other than the stage # kits(I cant find anything similar to guru's map stage 1 kit). If someone who has dealed with vitesse could give me insight on what they sell with more detail (similar to Gurus detail) id appreciate it, I really want something like Gurus kit. Another point of concern is ease of installation. Gurus site makes me feel much more comfortable in feeling that their kit will be fairly easy to install without having to do tuning. Vitesse seems to need more info before you can tune your car right? Am i mislead here?
Also is Danno the only guru vendor? is it his business or is he just a distributer? If their are other distributers then id just go with them. It would be nice to have some backround info on what/ who im buying from(and what im buying) before i drop close to 1500 into my car....
That is the only complaint you'll find about Vitesse, their web site. After observing both the link MAP and Vitesse mass-air (with SMT-6), I believe the ease of tuning and installation goes to the Vitesse set-up. The Vitesse mass-air is a direct plug in set-up with the exception of 1 positive wire. The best advice I can give you is to e-mail Vitesse and chat with him about his products. I love the SMT-6's functionality and ease of use as well as chips that are specific to the mass-air signal as opposed to redundant signal interpretations. If you decide on the map kit, go with SFR. Tim's customer service is exceptional in my experience.

Unfortunately as consumers we are naturally drawn to the glitter and awe of fancy web sites but that always isn't an accurate representation of the service and products. Huntley had a nice web site as well. The only logic I can come up with about Vitesse's site is he's too busy developing products, shipping when he says he will, and supporting customers when they have questions. If he had time to spend posting in the OT about his latest girlfriend or frat party and jerking people off when it comes time to ship their products I'd be sorely disappointed with his web site. One thing about Vitesse that a lot of new guys need to understand, he won't promise you the moon just to get your business and cash. He'll tell you how it is straight up. That's why thirty of his customers are not on here complaining because they didn't get the products or service that they expected.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:49 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Wasn't there someone on the east coast now a dealer of GURU products to lessen the customer service/shipping load from Danno???
Old 10-05-2004, 02:54 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jermey that's well said.

Danno is a nice guy just not a good business man. He has helped me out before on things and I am very appreciative...but, due to his track record I prolly wont be buying anything from him. I like to get my stuff in a timely fashion. It is after all our money and car's isint it?
Old 10-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Wasn't there someone on the east coast now a dealer of GURU products to lessen the customer service/shipping load from Danno???
That would be PowerWerks. I don't know if they carry all the Guru products but they do list the MAP and AFM chip kits.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jake951
That would be PowerWerks. I don't know if they carry all the Guru products but they do list the MAP and AFM chip kits.
I've delt Paul @ Powerwerks, very good people.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
Gurus site makes me feel much more comfortable in feeling that their kit will be fairly easy to install without having to do tuning. Vitesse seems to need more info before you can tune your car right? Am i mislead here?
I think it's fair to say that no matter which MAF or MAP kit you get, you had better be prepared to do some tuning for optimal performance. These are old cars, many of them already modified, in varying condition, and it seems that no two people get the same results installing the same system without tuning. In the case of the Link MAP system, the Link tuning module is really an essential accessory IMHO. Plan to spend some time on the dyno or doing your own road tests with a WBO2 A/F setup to ensure your A/F ratios are safe.

Having said that, the Link MAP system is quite easy to install and there are a number of MAP users on this board who can give you pointers.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it's fair to say that no matter which MAF or MAP kit you get, you had better be prepared to do some tuning for optimal performance
Amen. I've had both MAP and MAF kits on my car now. Both have good and bad points and both were relatively easy to install all things considered. I'm still playing with/tuning the MAF install so I won't compare the two until I get a few more miles on the MAF. I had Guru chips with the MAP and have Vitesse chips with the MAF so maybe in a few weeks I can compare the two a little since there don't seem to be too many folks here that have run both. I can say this for sure - you will need to do some fine tuning no matter what you upgrade to. It may be a little tuning or it may be a lot, but you're going to need to do some especially if you have upgrade injectors, turbo, exhaust, etc.

Quick Reply: AVG TIME TO GET GURU PARTS