Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lets talk turbos T61 vs GT30R etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 01:38 AM
lithium
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk turbos T61 vs GT30R etc

I am looking for some comparisons between all the biggest turbos that still fit the stock maniold, so far i am liking the Garret 30R with the anti-surge housing, but i gavent been able to find much HP or flow data on it. Another one is Lindsey T61, which they say will support 600HP. Another one i found was the GT3071R, no data other than its like the GT30 only slightly smaller. Also if anyone is running these, please list supporting mods. Thanks guys.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:57 AM
seanbrowning
Advanced

I don't run these, so no actual experience. But I've heard great things about Lindsey racing in general. They really are porsche experts. Just what I've heard if that helps.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:00 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you sure it's a T61 Lindsey is selling? I assume you refer to one of the "Lindsey Super"-turbos.
They're pretty secret about the origin of their turbos so it would be nice to hear if you got some additional info.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:15 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to Lindsey, their turbo's are made using garrett internal components while making them specifically to 'bolt up' to the intake, exhaust etc.....
Old 09-27-2004, 05:22 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Hmm yes that's what the website says. But it doesn't include any valuable information about the turbos.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:20 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lithium...there are several member's running the Gt stuff...infact there was a thread not too long ago. Press search and enter something like GT30 or GT turbo in the 944turbo and turbo s section you should pull up all kinds of info on them. There have been video's/dyno's all kinds of stuff about them. They in my opinion are the best turbo's on the market right now. Every car I have ever seen running a new GT series turbo made serious power.

As far as the hole lindsey t61 thing. Those aren't t61's they are hybrid parts built by garret and assembled at lindsey along with further "secret" modification.

If I decide I still want to do the turbo before my supra....I am having a tuff time between Chris in Virgina who aparently is starting up GT series kits' for our car's as well as Tim @ AFR would aparently also does the crossover pipe modification's nessesary to fit the turbo. Among other's ofcourse. The other turbo that I am considering is the Lindsey super 75 unit.

For the record Lindsey Racing kicks ***. Dave and Mike really know there stuff and they have done most of the work on my car. So I am thinking of just taking the car up there again and having the retune the car and instal the 75. We will see. Still on the fence as of yet.

Anyways if you have trouble finding those video's of the GT stuff I have them all so just email me and I can send them to ya.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
lithium
Intermediate

Thanks. Lindsey turbo info is right on their website... Both the T61 and the GT30R go for a about $1200 and both fit the stock location. Id like to see some dyno #;s for both. T75 is a huge bitch, but you need a lot of stuff to make that one fit.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

lithium those aren't T-series turbo's. And there's no GT-series turbo that fit in the stock location without some serious mods.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:39 AM
lithium
Intermediate

I am not sure what you classify as T series, but lindsey lists them as T's so thats what people call them.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:22 AM
J Chen
Drifting

lithium,
Firstly, if you're not going all out to install a GT turbo,
don't bother to ask about them. Theres nothing about
them that will fit. You got to make the mods to fit them.
Lindsey's turbo are all base on TO4E housing with KKK
replica #8 or #10 hot housing. If I'm not mistaken, you
either go with stage III or V turbine trim. The T's Lindsey
are referring too can only be their own model name.
BTW, try to get some physical examination of actual turbos.
That will give you more insight about them.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:49 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Default (edit)

JChen: You took the words out of my mouth

I remember reading the very LONG post of fitting the GT series turbos on our cars (hell of a lot of work to make them fit). I even remember you saying that the amount of work going to fitting the GT turbo's and the fabrication could cost almost the same or more than the actual turbo itself

And yes, the Lindsey series are based on the KKK #8 and/or #10 (which i still am trying to figure out ) and TO4E compressor side (heck, it's ALL on their site ) just copy and past that stuff here
Old 09-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

J Chen you're right, the "T" is just Lindseys internal designation.
Lithium, what I classify as a T-series turbocharger is simply a T-series turbocharger...
It's a line of turbos just as the GT-series.

I'm just afraid you will get a lot of wrong answers if you ask people about a T61 in a 951 since it's a completely different turbo! A lot bigger BTW.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:56 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Duke, It's just like pizza, the base is the same, just
add a diffrent flavor & walla, you give it another name.

Hosrum, during my GT install, at times I was telling
myself, What the F____k am I doing, It's alot of effort
since I did most of the mods myself. Is it worth the
effort ? Well I guess it depends on the individual.

Anyway, this thread about which turbo has been
thrash to death. Only conclusion is if you can't
diy & don't have big bucks to spend on the conversion,
don't bother to talk about GT turbos.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:19 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by lithium
I am looking for some comparisons between all the biggest turbos that still fit the stock maniold, so far i am liking the Garret 30R with the anti-surge housing, but i gavent been able to find much HP or flow data on it. Another one is Lindsey T61, which they say will support 600HP. Another one i found was the GT3071R, no data other than its like the GT30 only slightly smaller. Also if anyone is running these, please list supporting mods. Thanks guys.

A T-61 compressor will not make 600 horsepower with a KKK 8 or 10 cm housing.This is a bunch of hype.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:10 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Tim: You are aware that the T61 mentioned here is the Lindsey Super series that they call Linder Super 65,75 etc, not the Garrett T series............

Last edited by hosrom_951; 09-28-2004 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Lets talk turbos T61 vs GT30R etc