Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF or TURBO, which one first?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004 | 02:15 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF or TURBO, which one first?

If you didn't have the bucks for a total upgrade, which would you choose first, installing upgraded turbo or MAF (MAP)?

If my logic is correct, it would be turbo, because the size of turbo wll be the limiting factor of pushing air, so larger turbo first.

Whatcha think?
Old 08-21-2004 | 02:17 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on what turbo. I myself went maf first.

Blueman give us some back ground on the car....what's done to it and what kind of immediate performace you are looking to get outta her.

when the time does come LR stage 2 baby. Works great with the power perfect.
Old 08-21-2004 | 02:21 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

You will notice a more signifcant increase in power with a turbo upgrade, so if you are looking for the bext bang for the buck upgrade I would do that first. More than likely the turbo will be the main factor in determining the amount of power your car will make.
Old 08-21-2004 | 02:23 PM
89951DREAMER
Instructor

I went with a turbo upgrade first. This was because the original turbo was toast. However, the car already had Superchips in it (which I hate). I will be doing the MAF next. The best bang for the buck is a chip/boost upgrade if your car is completely stock.

Ian
Old 08-21-2004 | 02:25 PM
Blueman33
Pro

My car is mostly stock. chip, 3 bar FPR, LBE.

I have a testpipe which isn't installed yet.

I am looking for more low end grunt. The track I drive is full of turns (14), one which is hairpin turn (30mph). I find myself in many occassions where I have to down shift, then upshift immediately thereafter. With more low end get up and go I would be happy.

The 'long' straighti isn't even that long. I can get 110 if I come out of turn 14 fast enough.

So I don't want a car that makes HP really high in RPM range, but is doggy down low.

I have actually toyed with changing my final drive gear ratio to get a bit more low-end, since I can't get 160 mph out of the car anyway.
Old 08-21-2004 | 02:30 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, You can't just install a larger turbo and "badda bing" have more HP, you need some way to control the fuel mixture as you will need more to keep up with the added air the big turbo will provide.

Then if you buy a MAF designed for a stock turbo and later install a larger turbo then you need a chip reburn, unless you have a piggyback with enough range to tune in the setup.

So save up for a turbo/MAF kit designed to work together and you will be a much happier dude in the end.

Again IMHO
Old 08-21-2004 | 02:49 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with David 100%. If you're stuck on buying something, buy the MAF and make sure that it can be upgraded to match your turbo later. Personally, I would buy the Turbo and stick it on a shelf where you can see it daily. Then spend the next few weeks, months, years, collecting the parts you need to go with it (injectors, MAF, chips, exhaust). Having it sit there tends to motivate you to do it quickly.
Old 08-21-2004 | 02:51 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd

So save up for a turbo/MAF kit designed to work together and you will be a much happier dude in the end.

Again IMHO

I agree. If you absolutely had to do one, I'd do the MAF first but it won't do much for you and you would still need chips burned to adjust your fuel for it. Then when you add the turbo later, you'll have to add injectors, FPR, and have the chips reprogrammed.

Save up and do it all at once.
Old 08-21-2004 | 02:54 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

You can make well over 320rwhp on these cars without a MAF. If you are trying to save money, forget the MAF and buy everything else you need to run a better turbo. Some people here may not like it, but that is my opinion.
Old 08-21-2004 | 03:04 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with David and Jeremy, that's the route I would take. With the SMT6 and the Mafterburner of today, a complete system - turbo, MAF, injectors, non stock chips & piggyback, will be SO much easier to tune, not to mention between fast951, David Floyd, Jeremy, jwl, MySwiss, just to name a few - great rennlist support for a Vitesse package. Myself and jwl(track car, my street car), red1, Eppic, Dave?- there is great rennlist support for the MAfterburner with any Lindsey system.

However, I did take the other route first but it was turbo, Kokeln intake system(your larger turbo's have a larger air inlet), injectors, AFPR, and custom chips - three burns to be right. pulled 314hp @17 psi on 93 octane
Old 08-21-2004 | 03:09 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by badass951
You can make well over 320rwhp on these cars without a MAF. If you are trying to save money, forget the MAF and buy everything else you need to run a better turbo. Some people here may not like it, but that is my opinion.
That is true, but no no matter if you run the AFM or a MAF you still can't just install a larger turbo and be on your way.
Old 08-21-2004 | 03:18 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

That is true, but no no matter if you run the AFM or a MAF you still can't just install a larger turbo and be on your way.
from last post...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I guess I need to list these parts or else you guys think I am an idiot...

Things to buy with upgraded turbo:

1. larger injectors
2. custom chips
3. AFPR
4. exhaust upgrades?
5. widefire headset and upgraded head studs?

I am sure you can do without #'s 4 and 5, but they would definitely help.
Old 08-21-2004 | 03:29 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by badass951
from last post...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I guess I need to list these parts or else you guys think I am an idiot...

Things to buy with upgraded turbo:

1. larger injectors
2. custom chips
3. AFPR
4. exhaust upgrades?
5. widefire headset and upgraded head studs?

I am sure you can do without #'s 4 and 5, but they would definitely help.
You have to do that much ???? I did say "that is true" which means I AGREE WITH YOU, Don't get you panties in a wad, I read your post and I was not attacking you.

I just don't want Blueman33 to waste money buying piece by piece and end up with parts that do not work together.

Last edited by David Floyd; 08-21-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2004 | 03:41 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maf with the powerperfect I re-iterate
Old 08-21-2004 | 03:50 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

You have to do that much ???? I did say "that is true" which means I AGREE WITH YOU, Don't get you panties in a wad, I read your post and I was not attacking you.

I just don't want Blueman33 to waste money buying piece by piece and end up with parts that do not work together.
Well Mr. Floyd, that is quite thoughtful of you. My apologies. I have learned a lot about these cars over the past year while doing research for my car that is being custom built by Promotion Racing and just wanted to contribute. However, I greatly respect your willingness to go beyond answering the question in this post to making sure that Blueman33 understands the fact that you can't just buy one or the other, you need additional modifcations to make the setup work.

Quick Reply: MAF or TURBO, which one first?