Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Project 300RWHP on a buget.. info needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 11:40 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I built my own ballast resistors"

What impedance resistors did you run???

How do you hook them up?
Old 07-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

I built my own ballast resistors"

What impedance resistors did you run???

How do you hook them up?

bump
Old 07-22-2004, 05:39 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In support of Matt H, AFPR are complete ****. I have the stock one and big *** injectors.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:36 PM
pflyers
Instructor

I tried exactly what your doing. I put in a k27/8, maf kit, and 65 lb. injectors. The car drove like crap after I did it. On the dyno it pulled 280. One of the big tuners on this board was there custom burning chips on the spot. Even with that it never came out right.

Surging problems while driving, no torque or horsepower until 4200 rpm and only then if I floored it and the wastegate was not the issue. it basically sucked.

Last week I swallowed hard and put everything back to stock except for my guru chips. If you've never swapped a turbo you'd better have a good set of wobble sockets a bunch of long extensions and take every inclination to hurry right out of your system. It's not technically that hard, but it does take a very high ability to just be there and confront the job at hand the first time you do it.

Now that it's back guess what my car drives great and I love driving it again where before it was just sitting collecting dust, grinding on my nerves every day.

I will upgrade in the future after I sell everything off and will go with a vitesse stage II because:

1. It's proven
2. The support is unmatched
3. All the parts needed come in the kit
4. Not one complaint on this board re: them, only raves.

My suggestion if you want to do it:

Buy a maf and tuning device like arc2 off ebay and teach yourself how to tune the air/fuel ratios before doing anything else. If these aren't right you'll hate your car. Getting it tuned properly is the number one most important aspect...period.

Having someone burn chips for you over and over is a total complete pain in the *** and you might never get it right. Believe me it's not a cheap shortcut.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:59 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OKay no way am I reading through 6 pages of opinion's....i will just add mine after reading the first three pages.

Can you make 300rwhp on a stock turbo?
Absolutely you can.

Do you need stupid size injector's like 75lb?
Hell no. I am sorry but, fact's are fact's tunning is everything ...let me say this again tunning is everything when it comes to these car's. I run 55lb injector's and I am 300+rwhp on stock turbo....I just decided to uprade to a Lindsey Racing super 75. I will have plenty of fuel to run 18-20psi on that turbo. Take the number of the injector's say 55lb so take the number 55 and double it that's 110.....that's now in crank hp terms what the injector can flow at a reasonable pressure...you can increase this number even more so by increasing the pressure to say 3.0bar and fix this to come on earlier. So you have 4 injector's at 110.....what's 4 times 110? 55lb injector's are now good to 440crank hp. I don't know why people go with stupid size injector's. People run into problem's because the car isint tunning properly. Relying on someone else's burn chip's ect. Now not everyone has problem's. But, not everyone's car is the same. What works(chips wise) for one car might not work for another.

My suggestion is if you dont' know what your are doing let a professional be involved in every aspect of the car. Buy a serious fuel controller on some sort. I run a digital fuel controller in my cockpit along with a maf tuner. My car pulls extremely strong and go's like stink. I am still on stock tiny *** turbocharger(2.0inch inlet) and I walk c5's like their are Gt mustang's. I have invested 4.1k in mods on my car(that includes tax and install) If you want to do the install yourself then I suggest having a pro tune it(the same vendor you got the parts from) that way he will have absolute controll over every aspect of the air/fuel ratio,boost pressure,timing,ect.ect.

My mods
Lindsey Racing stage 2 maf
Power perfect
55lb injector's
DP wastegate
Lindsey Racing Exhaust
Pro-M
MBC

that's it! Not brain surgery. You bet I am 300rwhp. Everyone and their brother claimed I was running some kind of upgrade turbocharger.....nope. It's all in tuning. More over even then all of our car's run differently. I think the fact that everything has been rebuilt on my car might have something to do with why it pulls so strongly. Some car's just run better than other's do.

Bottom line. For 2k you could easily hit your hp goal and be safe.
Get yourself a maf,injectors,chips,wastegate,exhaust, have a pro dial everything in turn up the boost and go out and have fun. 300hp here you come.

I will let you know how my car turns out in the near future with the upgraded turbocharger and stage 1 head. I am thinking somewhere in the upper 300's range to the wheel's. By that time I will be knocking on the door of 7k in performace mods. Please keep in mind that includes tax and install.

Porsche 951 there is no subsitute.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:08 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh OT

Go Lindsey Racing woot woot

Give them a call. Dave knows his ****. He will be installing my new turbo and re tuning the car then it hit's the dyno. I will post it up when the car is done.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:10 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
OKay no way am I reading through 6 pages of opinion's....i will just add mine after reading the first three pages.

Do you need stupid size injector's like 75lb?
Hell no.
Nice to see you didn't read through it, because if you did, NOBODY said 300whp NEEDS 75lb injectors. It's just that 75lb injectors and 55lb injectors cost the same, so why buy injector after injector during the upgrade path? Go with the biggest.

I don't know why people go with stupid size injector's.
I dunno why people go with small injectors and have to upgrade over and over again, when buying big injectors once will be the end of it. I learned the hard way on the 951, and now I buy big injectors for all my cars.

And yes, it's in the tuning. Don't even upgrade to ANY injectors unless you or someone else can tune it.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:31 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

paul sorry to hear you had to pull everything off, that sucks man. i think you'll be happy with vitesse though, as you know i came from basically the same situation and am very happy with my new vitesse setup.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:35 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

I run 55lb injector's and I am 300+rwhp on stock turbo.....
dude, not meaning to be negative but you keep saying this yet you've never had the car dynoed or had some means of demonstrating that you actually make 300+rwhp. everybody feels like they are making lots of power and quite a few are surprised when they actually put it on a dyno.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:42 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

hey shaheed. I'll take a bet on that if you want. It's going to take two weeks for the new head to get here and then maybe another week after that for install and basics. She is hitting the dyno right after that because I want a before and after pull of the new turbo.

Paypal is accepted.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:50 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

i have no need for a bet because personally i have no need to know what a stock 26/6 can do. it does concern me however when i see folks telling other folks who are asking for advice, you can easily do X and Y, when they have actually never demonstrated that it can be done at all (much less easily). there are a lot of successful tuners in the 951 world that have tried and are unable to get 300rwhp out of a k26/6....

anyway good luck with getting your car back together and your tuning process.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by shaheed
i have no need for a bet because personally i have no need to know what a stock 26/6 can do. it does concern me however when i see folks telling other folks who are asking for advice, you can easily do X and Y, when they have actually never demonstrated that it can be done at all (much less easily). there are a lot of successful tuners in the 951 world that have tried and are unable to get 300rwhp out of a k26/6....

anyway good luck with getting your car back together and your tuning process.
I said it before and ment it. Every 951 is a little different. What works on one car might not work the same on another. To say that it's not possible and has never been done is a lie though. I retain my most important statement and that is tunning is everything. That's why you see k26 car's getting 300+rwhp on standalone management system's on this board. More over there were several people who chimed in with number's on their car's being very close to 300rwhp on just a few mods. I will have to recheck page 2. No doubt you have to have the boost.....I run 20psi. On our small stock turbocharger's anything more than that I think would be kinda pointless(heating up the air too much) unless ofcourse you want to add meth injection in the equation.

Thanks for the kind words on the car. I will indeed make sure I post before and after dyno sheet's of the car. So all misconception's can come to a halt. I believe I am(as do my tuner's) that its a little over 300 at the wheels and I will probably be 350-360rwhp after the turbo. Ofcourse I do plan on really turning up the boost just for one dyno's sake and see what 22psi and race gas can do on a bolt on 951 with a to4e. We will see.

OT what do you guy's think a to4e (67mm wheel) .60ar compressor would max out at as far as effeciency????

Any idea's?
Old 07-22-2004, 04:22 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Talking

Interesting Post

I agree with Rage regarding the larger injectors. Going for more horsepower is the ultimate slippery slope. Better to go for bigger in the first place and not make additional purchases as you go. I have running issues but not with idling. It’s idling at 14.7 all day long. Pick a tuner and stay with them (I’d suggest either Fast951 or Lindsey) Do you a search on everyone. I’ve found Faster951 extremely helpful although I haven’t purchased his system yet (I am buying parts to build a 2.8 stroker as I can afford then I am off to Fast951). Dave at Lindsey is outstanding as well. I’ve had several good purchasing experiences with Lindsey. To me the availability of someone to talk to when experiencing problems should be the only criteria.

I am running 17 psi with a stock headgasket for over a year. With the proper fuel/air ratio you’ll be fine. Do the injectors, MAF, and turbo route and you will be at your target rwhp.

The stock k26/6 and k26/8 do become heat stinks negating horsepower gains from higher levels of boost. Only Tony G had a head of class K26/8 turbo do more than 300hph and heaven only knows what else he did to it. Good Luck ed
Old 07-22-2004, 04:37 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Porshhhh951, Who has done this? Any dyno charts on this?

"That's why you see k26 car's getting 300+rwhp on standalone management system's on this board."

And when are you dynoing your car? Love to see those too!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:55 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Porshhhh951, Who has done this? Any dyno charts on this?

"That's why you see k26 car's getting 300+rwhp on standalone management system's on this board."

And when are you dynoing your car? Love to see those too!

I am sure he will chime in here.

I am dyno'ing my car after I install the new head which should be about 3 weeks. We will just have to see how long shipping takes as well as install. Since I am working now hours available on the car will be limited to days off. I figure a couple of day's to install the new head worse case senario. I learned alot when we did my Hg so it shouldn't be a problem at all really. I will then take the car to the dyno and make some passes. Prolly 2 @18psi and 2 @20psi. Then I will drive the car up to the best tuner's in the word(Lindsey) and Dave will install my new super 75 turbo completely retune the car and it will then hit the dyno again afterwards to see how much hp we are making with the upgrade. I honestly think upper 300's is going to be do able on 20psi ....we will see.

I will post everythiing up when I do it(dyno chart's/video footage/ect)

Quick Reply: Project 300RWHP on a buget.. info needed.