Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

carbon fibre intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 08:39 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

/\You know what that guy does for a living?
||
Old 10-18-2005, 08:57 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

I'm actually an Engine Induction Systems engineer by trade, specfically intake systems and manifolds. I've been meaning to create a model of the 951 manifold in Ricardo Wave for the past few months and see what some tweaks would do for it. Unfortunately I'm still at the south end of the learning curve, but I've got access to a lot of good information and some pretty smart dudes to bounce questions off of.

If the stock manifold proves to have some significant flaws that would make a custom one worth designing, I'll put it on my long list of stuff to-do. But no promises!
Old 10-19-2005, 12:04 AM
dlgranison
Instructor

yeah ST I have been around. I'll send you a PM
Old 10-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Default Damn Straight

Okay guys now THAT'S the kind of responses I was looking for. Performance increases are mandatory, but the main reason I want one isn't only for those gains...I like having things no one else does, and probably won't. I like to go the opposite direction of "Bling Bling"...not that its bad, I just hate shiny ****, hurts my eyes. To me cf is the essence of the car I'm building...so I appreciate the help guys.

Gabriel
Old 10-19-2005, 01:25 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Interesting to see that the intercooler outlet pipe is wrapped.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Individual T-bodies increase throttle response dramatically (and if I am going to spend 3K on a part there better be more than a little bling at 10HP). I asked what the diference was in HP about 7K times and no one knew. I got the chance to drive acar with a individual T-body before and after, the throttle response was unbelievable.

ehall - all things being equal there would be no reason on earth to go to a CF manifold. It *might* weigh 4 pounds less, maybe.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

individual Throttle bodies do not do much in a turbo car.
It is not the weight it is the shape and the volume of the intake that makes the difference.
The volume of the stock intake manifold was perfect for 220-300 HP but not for 400-500 HP.

Konstantin
Old 10-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont line to be disagreeable but ITBs damn sure do make a difference on a Turbo car. Having driven a car with them, I assure you it makes a difference. I didnt think it would either but it did.

Stock manifold is not the limit to HP and it never will be. Would I like to see a different design? I dont doubt there are ways of improving on the stock manifold but 3K for 10HP is not an improvement that people are willing to spend on.

The guys making 400-500HP have already dropped a mint, for the most part, so 3-5K is not a bad deal, all things considered.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:24 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"individual Throttle bodies do not do much in a turbo car."

Without sounding mean, ""but what rock have you been living under""?

Multi TB's make huge differences.

But I do agree that the shape and Volume make a huge difference as well. We talk about the Port shape, but the Volume of the port is very important as well. You can have the shape you need, but unless you have volume, the air cannot get thro.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without sounding mean: did you EVER made a back to back test with the above intake and a single throttle body?
word like " I think", "I believe" or "I heard" do not count
I did and I tell you that the difference is very small and not worth the hassle.
I have the first 951 build in 84 and probably own a car like this more than most of many rennlisters. I have checked every single screw in the car by my self
My car drove 300 km/h almost 10 years ago when some others just dreaming about this
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0003315/top104.html
I made 250000 Km with this engine and the engine is still is perfect except of the worn piston rings

you can check here what the car is capable now
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0003315/313kmh.mpg
this is only at 0,88 bar boost. No big HP runs. just a camera and a not so free piece of Autobahn

I tested everything I say and I know what works and what not. This is not what I heard from others as some others do here.
You will not find more than 10% of the mods of this car on Rennlist and I do not promisse big HP and great engines like you do for years. I just present here the results.
I work as a race engineer started from nothing with very little skills and educate my self in the university and in real racing for the last years.
If you do not believe what I say you can try it by your self. You will be suprised how much time you will lose just to find out that I am right.
You are free to check this, do the R&D by yourself and post here the results.

maybe you can tell us what and HOW MUCH a single throttle manifold bring to our street cars.
I will help you a little. It has very little to do with HP and Torque. The advandage is in the more acurate fuel adjustment and this brings a better throttle response together with all the downside that a SIM has.
So now is your turn. Show us that I am wrong and prove here with real life RESULTS what you say. I would be glad to prove me wrong and help me improve my car. So I do not have to do all this work by my self.
I wait to read about your " results" but even more to see a real evidence.

Konstantin
BTW a really good SIM starts at 20000 EUR (24000 US$) You can have one any time if you want.

Quick Reply: carbon fibre intake