Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lightened flywheel feels different- is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightened flywheel feels different- is this normal?

Stock flywheel was lightened by about 4lbs or so. Right now after bleeding the clutch a bunch of times the clutch engages when its just off the floor....i mean 1/2" off the floor and it seems pretty grabby. The car is a lot easier to kill if you aren't paying attention. Is this normal? I'm assuming that it is just want confirmation. Good news is it revs a whole lot faster.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:30 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1/2" off the floor is not normal, I am guessing you installed a new clutch also? The clutch is a bitch to bleed, I think you still have some bleeding to do.

I don't have a problem stalling my car with lightened stock flywheel, but I could just be used to the feel now.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I used the existing clutch since the previous owner replaced it about a year prior and it measured just below new thickness. Damn....guess i'll go back to bleeding it again.

thanks
Old 04-09-2004, 02:38 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you install new master and slave cylinders ? if not this also could be a concern, if more bleeding does not correct things.

Get the rear of the car higher than the front when bleeding and a Motive Power Bleeder does wonders.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been told that due to the lightened flywheel, an engine is easier to kill due to less roataing mass to keep the engine running when the cluth catches. I guess it's true.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:04 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Mike Murcia
I've been told that due to the lightened flywheel, an engine is easier to kill due to less roataing mass to keep the engine running when the cluth catches. I guess it's true.
Not much different at all IMHO and I have lots of lightened parts, kevlar clutch and stronger PP.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:28 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think that the clucth needs to be bled, youhave to check the clutch release prince (on the clucth pedal) the workshop manual tells you how to adjust it
Old 04-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Well....i've bled and bled and bled.....i swear I cannot bleed anymore. LOL! I have a motive and I jacked the back end up multiple times now. Pumped to 10-15psi and opened the slave cylinder bleed valve. After each time I would release the pressure and pump the clutch a few times.

At this point it's not much better. Maybe a tad...but not great. Not sure when the slave or master clutch cylinders were last replaced, but neither show leakage. Master looks brand new.

I'm starting to wonder if my fuel injection mapping is part of the problem. Off-idle is really bad right now....too rich. I'm going to try and lean it out a bit to see if that helps. Otherwise...i'm open for suggestions.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:51 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightened flywheel shouldn't be your problem, unless they was some weird refacing done?

The reduced weight does not stall the 944, but I hear it is problematic in the 911...
Old 04-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I played with it this morning. When slightly engaging the clutch I was dropping MAP zones and the zone I dropped into was super rich.....which was causing a stall like situation. I leaned it out and its a lot better now. Clutch feel is very close to stock, but the car revs faster. No complaints now.

Quick Reply: Lightened flywheel feels different- is this normal?