Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Track car pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 12:40 PM
highboy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info...have you talked with Neil in making changes to the HG to work better on an o-ringed head? I think these guys are putting out real nice stuff and seam to be willing to make good on a design. I live just 10mins north of there facility - I don't a have a o-ringed head for them to work with BUT I am willing to work with them to get it right.

-Tom
Old 07-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it's out...as we play Pink Floyd's "Money" on the CD player

Old 07-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the mains need to be changed.

Old 07-14-2004, 06:20 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, you guy's don't waste any time.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well Jim is having a couple of slow days at his shop, a couple of employees are in so...Jim's Porsche Service is open for business. I know he wished he was doing more JABRacing tuning and driving but uh uh. Maybe in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:23 PM
DAR951
Pro

Bret,

With the crossmenber still in place, looks like you pulled it out the top? Did you remove the head before or after you yanked the rest?
Old 07-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Before, Jim made a plate that fit over the back four head studs, welding in a lifting padeye and out the she came. The only glitch that he mentioned was the housing for the speed and reference sensors. He said after that it came forward about 2 inches and out she came - yes, out the top. Fans and radiator out, front pulleys off, alternator off, power steering pump off.
Pistons should be in Friday and everything will be in San Antonio Friday afternoon or Monday morning - hope to start putting it back together the next Friday.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:04 PM
jwl
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by David Floyd
Man, you guy's don't waste any time.
Heck, I just want to get it back together and see if I blow it up again....NOT!
The plan is to get the 100.5 pistons in by Friday and have the block at Duffin machine on Monday for the bore and alusil. Hopefully by the end of next week we can start going back together with it.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:53 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by jwl
Heck, I just want to get it back together and see if I blow it up again....NOT!
The plan is to get the 100.5 pistons in by Friday and have the block at Duffin machine on Monday for the bore and alusil. Hopefully by the end of next week we can start going back together with it.
I had the guys at Duffin do my overbore, crank prep, rod bushings, flywheel work on my old steel flywheel, head o-rings and the valve job. They did good work. Still, make sure the oil galleries and block are well flushed after the machine work. I think I put the equivalent of my neighbors swimming pool through my block before I was satisfied that it was clean enough - but that was before I had compressed air!

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim is taking the block to San Antonio tomorrow to receive the overbore and alusil hone. The pistons came in this afternoon, hi silicon material. The skirts are coated with iron and a touch of graphite. New wrist pins and rings. After we get the final machining done, I'll post the pics with the new cylinders, pistons, and final measurements.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way cool! Where did you get the pistons coated with the iron?
Old 07-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by OZ951
I had the guys at Duffin do my overbore, crank prep, rod bushings, flywheel work on my old steel flywheel, head o-rings and the valve job. They did good work. Still, make sure the oil galleries and block are well flushed after the machine work. I think I put the equivalent of my neighbors swimming pool through my block before I was satisfied that it was clean enough - but that was before I had compressed air!

Good luck.
Hey mate, good to see you posting again. I trust the move went well.

For cleaning oil galleys I used a rifle cleaning kit. You can even get cotton cleaners that screw on the end of the rod. I highly recommend using Berryman's carb cleaner to flush everything out. That stuff will clean anything. When I built my Sentra engine I bought a parts washer but I ended up using Berryman's gallon Chemtool for things I could dip and carb cleaner for things I couldn't. I buy the carb cleaner by the case now.

Clean the galleys until the cotton swab comes out totally clean.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 07-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update: Jim is picking up the block tomorrow. He will shoot some pics of the new Alusil cylinder walls, Duffin made a very small cleaning pass on the block and checked out the head - straight - less than .001 at the measured spots. So now we know the block and the head are straight, Jim should start putting the short block back together this weekend. I ordered the LR oil pan baffle kit and hope it arrives in time to take it to the shop and get it welded in, as Jim has nothing to weld aluminum with.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:12 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How did you remove the engine and still keep the pressure plate within the clutch housing??!?

Quick Reply: Track car pics