Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shelter-in-place 951 projects

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 02:43 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Cool chair. Is it from some 1960s Porsche dealer or something?
Old 03-24-2020, 05:27 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Cool chair. Is it from some 1960s Porsche dealer or something?

It was an old Coca-Cola stool but the upholstery was all torn up, so I had it redone by my local auto upholstery guy. He did this stool as a favor and tried to match the grey/red theme of my new garage. He's a good guy and did this whole interior for me a few years ago...

The following users liked this post:
finally! (03-28-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 08:06 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Gorgeous!
Old 03-26-2020, 04:32 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 284 Posts

Just getting ready to pull mine out of hibernation & do some self isolated driving to enjoy all of the past projects that got it to where it is today. Really nothing left to do....

finally! (03-28-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Just getting ready to pull mine out of hibernation & do some self isolated driving to enjoy all of the past projects that got it to where it is today. Really nothing left to do....

Wow nice shine on the strut bar.

how are you enjoying the Vitesse MAF?
Old 03-27-2020, 11:35 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Beautiful engine bay Nurburger, and great photography!

Since I have all the time in the world, I decided to clean the inner door before I put it back together. The vapor barrier was cut and ripped in a million places, covered in duct tape, and to make things much worse, I previously covered the door in Dynamat sound insulation, so there was gummy black butyl all over the door. Two hours later it looks like new and I have a brand new PCNA vapor barrier ready to go on. By the way, I've recently discovered that Porsche of Marin has an active mail-order business and, so far, everything they sell has been slightly cheaper than Sunset. And, they are way faster to ship. I order the vapor barriers on Tuesday. They had to get them from PCNA, of course, but still had them on my doorstep by today (Friday). Worth considering if you are ordering factory parts online....

SamGrant951 (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 11:06 AM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn

Since I have all the time in the world, I decided to clean the inner door before I put it back together. The vapor barrier was cut and ripped in a million places, covered in duct tape, and to make things much worse, I previously covered the door in Dynamat sound insulation, so there was gummy black butyl all over the door. Two hours later it looks like new and I have a brand new PCNA vapor barrier ready to go on. By the way, I've recently discovered that Porsche of Marin has an active mail-order business and, so far, everything they sell has been slightly cheaper than Sunset. And, they are way faster to ship. I order the vapor barriers on Tuesday. They had to get them from PCNA, of course, but still had them on my doorstep by today (Friday). Worth considering if you are ordering factory parts online....

Looks beautiful! All that factory perfect paint that never sees the light of day. I love cleaning areas of cars like this, knowing that the last time it looked that good was when factory workers were putting it together. Even buttoned back up, if you care, you know!

My own shelter-in projects have included removing disgusting and tenacious old rock guards, paint touch up, and doing 2000 grit wet sanding and polishing to reduce orang peel. Plus building a DIY sim racing rig. Stay healthy, my friends!
Old 03-28-2020, 02:30 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapman951
Wow nice shine on the strut bar.

how are you enjoying the Vitesse MAF?
Thanks - it's a Racing Dynamics strut bar. Don't see them too often anymore.

The Vitesse MAF kit is a great upgrade. When I bought the 951 it had an old Autothority MAF on it which we removed once we came up with the plan for all of the other modifications. Vitesse is very friendly with other mods such as bigger turbos, 3" exhaust etc.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:32 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Here's the new vapor shield and a before and after of the passenger door. The passenger side had a rattle of unknown origin, and it turned out just about every bolt on the door was finger tight, so I'm hoping just re-installing everything tightly will do the trick. But, of course, I had to clean it up before I put on the new vapor barrier, so did a proper before and after this time.

SamGrant951 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:45 PM
Desert Duck
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmf
Know the feeling.
Replaced brake rotors, cleaned up calipers, bought more aggressive brake pads, and a set of Nitto NT-01's. Head and block machined, new head studs, dual port wastegate and MBC. Larger radiator, intercooler and oil cooler.
All PCA track events in the area cancelled into the foreseeable future. All dressed up and no place to go.
Please tell me about the Large Radiator. Looking to improve my 83 na and prepare it for LS swap. My car had a Chinese radiator in it before I bought it. Need to replace it, so I’d like to know what radiator you bought, and any needed mods to install. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:05 PM
Desert Duck
Track Day

Hey! Is your car louder without inside the Dynamat? I’m about to install some for my sheltering in.. thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:02 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Desert Duck
Hey! Is your car louder without inside the Dynamat? I’m about to install some for my sheltering in.. thanks in advance for your reply.
I haven't been on the highway yet without the dynamat in the doors, but at least around town I didn't notice an obvious difference. The dynamat made a big difference on the metal floor/hump where I deleted the rear seat, but otherwise I'm not a big fan of the butyl-like goo that is just a mess if you ever need to get under it again. I'd guess the more of it you use inside the cabin, the lower the noise on a meter, but not sure how much of that translates into a real-world difference in driving experience. I'd use it for known problem areas (like the rear hump) but wouldn't slather my car in it. It's a lot of weight and mess for a marginal difference (assuming you still have your stock sound insulation everywhere).
Old 03-31-2020, 09:53 PM
Desert Duck
Track Day

I haven't been on the highway yet without the dynamat in the doors, but at least around town I didn't notice an obvious difference. The dynamat made a big difference on the metal floor/hump where I deleted the rear seat, but otherwise I'm not a big fan of the butyl-like goo that is just a mess if you ever need to get under it again. I'd guess the more of it you use inside the cabin, the lower the noise on a meter, but not sure how much of that translates into a real-world difference in driving experience. I'd use it for known problem areas (like the rear hump) but wouldn't slather my car in it. It's a lot of weight and mess for a marginal difference (assuming you still have your stock sound insulation everywhere).
thanks for the insight Tom! I’ve purchased the matting but yet to install it!
Old 04-11-2020, 08:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I'm now upgrading the a/c to Griffiths stuff and converting to r134a finally. I opted for a Griffiths 134a-friendly condenser (which looks very nice) and am waiting on Porsche to deliver new rubber air seals, since my were all chewed up. So, obviously, I had to clean and wax the radiator frame while waiting...

Old 04-24-2020, 08:05 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Success! Got the new A/C parts installed and converted to 134a finally. The old compressor was leaking oil, so that was the final straw that got me to fix it all. Props to Griffiths for supplying the parts -- 134a-friendly parallel flow condenser, factory-rebuilt compressor, receiver/drier, hose, O-rings, oil, pretty much everything but the 134a and tools to get it in. (Speaking of which, the Harbor Freight 134a gauge set it pure garbage! I'm already in the market for a better set.) Taking out the factory condenser was much easier than I feared. Just undo the refrigerant lines, remove two bolts, and the thing slides down and out. Easy peasy. Overall, it was a very straight-forward project with no memorable nightmares. Only surprise that slowed me down was waiting for new rubber seals that go in behind the condenser. With all the perfect new parts, I couldn't live with the torn up old rubber. It's a little over 80 degrees here today and I was able to see temps in the 30's from the dash if I nursed it just right. My pressures were on the low side (40 and 170) so I probably could add a smidge more 134a, but I may wait for a day in the 90's or higher to fine tune. Overall very happy with the results and probably should have made the conversion years ago.

New rubber seals make me happy.

New compressor.

Griffith's condenser.

Before.

After
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom M'Guinn:
Chalt (08-15-2020), Crazy Eddie (04-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Shelter-in-place 951 projects