Car running great now, Need Prescription for more HP now please

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 11:51 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Can you expand on this, because I see it differently.
Honestly I wouldn't even know where to begin for you. It seems like you understand some concepts but you apply them incorrectly to the system as a whole. Most basic concept is that air density and air pressure have a linear correlation. So compare the density of 9psi air to that of 15psi air. You've lost 40% density and thus 40% less air mass to react with gasoline to release energy to the wheels (neglecting some temperature change because the 9psi might be a little cooler). It sounds like you're trying to say that you think you've made you air pump so much more efficient that it's drawing the K26 down from 15psi to 9psi. I would simply suggest to look at benefits that cams provide to other similar naturally aspirated engines and see that you're very unlikely to have made more than 5% with a mild cam change, and not ruining the power band. You have more than likely created a valve overlap / exhaust back pressure issue that your wastegate control strategy wasn't able to overcome. That is infinitely more likely than to suggest that you might be making anywhere close to 315 crankshaft horsepower at 9psi (that's 225 stock horsepower x 1.4..... the 40% you think you're getting). Look up some dyno charts and see how much power 951s make at 10psi. You might *think the car feels faster because it probably has a torque curve that's very peaky and gives a push sensation... but i'd say you need to take the car to the dyno in a couple different configurations and see what you're actually getting. Anyone that doesn't see that the turbo itself is the cornerstone to making power on these cars is completely out to lunch. It's painfully obvious.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:30 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Honestly I wouldn't even know where to begin for you. It seems like you understand some concepts but you apply them incorrectly to the system as a whole. Most basic concept is that air density and air pressure have a linear correlation. So compare the density of 9psi air to that of 15psi air. You've lost 40% density and thus 40% less air mass to react with gasoline to release energy to the wheels (neglecting some temperature change because the 9psi might be a little cooler). It sounds like you're trying to say that you think you've made you air pump so much more efficient that it's drawing the K26 down from 15psi to 9psi. I would simply suggest to look at benefits that cams provide to other similar naturally aspirated engines and see that you're very unlikely to have made more than 5% with a mild cam change, and not ruining the power band. You have more than likely created a valve overlap / exhaust back pressure issue that your wastegate control strategy wasn't able to overcome. That is infinitely more likely than to suggest that you might be making anywhere close to 315 crankshaft horsepower at 9psi (that's 225 stock horsepower x 1.4..... the 40% you think you're getting). Look up some dyno charts and see how much power 951s make at 10psi. You might *think the car feels faster because it probably has a torque curve that's very peaky and gives a push sensation... but i'd say you need to take the car to the dyno in a couple different configurations and see what you're actually getting. Anyone that doesn't see that the turbo itself is the cornerstone to making power on these cars is completely out to lunch. It's painfully obvious.
Psi in this case is being used as an indicator for restriction. Lets say a k26 can theoretically flow 500cfm and produce 270 hp on a 951 motor at full boost. A cam change increases the engine flow enough to hit that 270 at a lower boost. Not saying you will see more hp.
This is fact not fiction. No matter what size turbo you stuff in your car you will not produce more that 330 to 350 hp on a 951 engine. Unless you improve its efficiency.
Any turbo that can hold boost till redline will yield the same result.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:19 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

🤦🏻‍♂️

Train wreck below.

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Psi in this case is being used as an indicator for restriction. Lets say a k26 can theoretically flow 500cfm and produce 270 hp on a 951 motor at full boost. A cam change increases the engine flow enough to hit that 270 at a lower boost. Not saying you will see more hp.
This is fact not fiction. No matter what size turbo you stuff in your car you will not produce more that 330 to 350 hp on a 951 engine. Unless you improve its efficiency.
Any turbo that can hold boost till redline will yield the same result.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:28 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by E-man930
🤦🏻‍♂️

Train wreck below.
Train wreck = watching the hipsters on the "premier" facebook group pretend to know what they're talking about.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
Yes!!!! I was really impressed with the guys running the business, willing to help and tune for free!!! And they know their stuff! The Race ECU with the discount is about $1400, that comes with the ecu, harness, and Wideband sensors, I’m really impressed with the company!
That's stupid cheap. I think I paid more than that for a custom harness although it was all milspec hardware but still, this Maxx stuff sounds an excellent option.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:24 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SirLapsalot
Train wreck = watching the hipsters on the "premier" facebook group pretend to know what they're talking about.
Who is quoting whom? Which ones are the hipsters again?

Quick Reply: Car running great now, Need Prescription for more HP now please