Old 02-09-2004, 06:48 PM
stoked944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mike Buck
no
test pipe = no cat
straightpipe = no muffler

using that pipe above the cat is conjunction with the bent up piece is what typically constitutes a testpipe. With a Bursch, this is all one piece. SFR and/or Fabspeed make it two piece, so you can slide in a cat for emissions testing.

I have the full SFR 3" SS system. I like it. It's stupid light. It sounds cool. When I pull the muffler it sounds cool ++

I didn't mean an actual straight pipe. i was just talking about that straight peice of pipe with no cat in it thats above the straight peice of pipe with the cat in it on the fabspeed photo.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:55 PM
stoked944
Racer

is that the part being replaced?
Old 02-09-2004, 08:06 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Sterm, why thank you... I thought they were good choices myself, as well I plan on attending just about as many events at the Point as I can afford and make it too!!

EZ, I was talking to som others about this, if I'm fully disappointed with the Europr. chips, I will get rid of them and splurge to get Danno's. But if they are half-decent, I'll hold out until I get a lot more done to the car and get it custom chipped or get a chip-emulator to tune it thataway.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Jeremy,

YES, i would like to have the NAPA part number for the gasket material.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Aleks951
Do any companies manufacture a high flow cat that we can use instead of the test pipe? Or is that just a silly waste of time? Just wondering.
I think it's a good question. Wish I had the answer for you.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just buy a universal high flow and have it fitted. It has been my experience that most of those do not pass emissions so you might as well skip it all together.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Chris Prack
Yes it will because the SFR test pipe IS a Fabspeed test pipe. They are just reselling Joe's part.
Chris.

Are you just speculating or do you have confirmation of this. I agree that the 2 parts look alike but it doesn't really make sense to me from a business sense. Why would Tim of SFR who started his business around his welding/fabricating abilities supporting a niche car, buy and resell something like a cat pipe. I just don't see where there would be enough margin in it for him when he obviously has the skill to make his own. I think that the scenario of Fabspeed buying and reselling SFR pipes is much more likely.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:15 PM
stoked944
Racer

Originally posted by Aleks951
Do any companies manufacture a high flow cat that we can use instead of the test pipe? Or is that just a silly waste of time? Just wondering.
sfr makes one for a 3" exhaust. check their site.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Random Technologies is one of the top cat manufacturers, they have a wide selection of "generic" high-flow cats that you can choose from to clamp or weld on.

Sam
Old 02-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam - I have emissions tested a number of random tech cats and maintain that in most applications a car that passed with the stock cat failed with the random tech cat. Just an FYI.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally posted by Skip Wolfe
Chris.

Are you just speculating or do you have confirmation of this. I agree that the 2 parts look alike but it doesn't really make sense to me from a business sense. Why would Tim of SFR who started his business around his welding/fabricating abilities supporting a niche car, buy and resell something like a cat pipe. I just don't see where there would be enough margin in it for him when he obviously has the skill to make his own. I think that the scenario of Fabspeed buying and reselling SFR pipes is much more likely.
Smoke and mirrors.

I can tell you that I have been told by someone who would know that it is fact. SFR even used Fabspeed's photo's off of their site for some period of time. I know what I can buy Joe's exhaust for and it's no different then anything others parts in this business.

It makes perfect sense. If you are a business, you can usually get a wholesale price so that you can move units and make a little money as well. It's no secret, it pays the bills and keep's the door's open for both business's. It's easy money for Tim and he can spend his time doing something else like superchargers for 968's.

I sell Fabspeed exhaust as well, I just don't call it mine. It's give and take. I once sent Joe a template of a gasket and he now makes it in metal for his test pipes. I could have spent my time fabricating my own gasket or test pipe but to what end? What is my time worth? How many different test pipes can there be? Sometimes it's just not worth the effort and your time is better spent with something else.

SFR selling Fabspeed is no different then me selling Fabspeed. I believe that Tim is a good guy and I am not trying to take any business from him. Every business does this, Lindsey sells Vision (or Kokeln), I sell PCNA parts as well as Fabspeed and many more. That's business. It really shouldn't be a shock to anyone.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:46 AM
AlexE
Pro

Chris

.......so since we are chatting about test pipes........

How about a nice group buy price on them .......

SFR had great response on the cat back group buy anyone else feel like completing the set ?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:54 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I tell you what, I will see what I can do and let you know tomorrow during the day here in this thread.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:15 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Skip, as Chris explained, it's far more economical for SFR to buy Fabspeed's part at wholesale and make some profit there, freeing a whole lot of time to develop other, more exclusive products, than to spend his time on those. It makes a lot of business sense, the only unique thing about this case is he sells it as his own and Fabspeed doesn't seem to care.

Matt H, I too have heard about cars failing with the RT cats, but that was because the cars were not heated up enough. The RT flow better and heat up less, so simple idling while waiting for the test isn't enough, each person who I've heard of failing with the RT cat went back and tested, this time holding the engine at mid rpm for a minute right before the test, to heat the cat, and then passed fine. I've seen that a bunch of times on Corvettes, and a few times on Hondas.

Sam
Old 02-10-2004, 02:09 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

A group buy.. on my thread?? I would be so honored. I'm curious as to what price we might be able to get

Chris, is this an out of your home business or do you run a shop (sorry if that soudns like a stupid question...)?

Quick Reply: Test pipe choices