Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Test pipe choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 12:07 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Burma Shave
4.It is best to buy the car before you modify it.
Good point. Are you looking for a completely stock 951? Good chance you will find a car that has a few basic mods including test pipe (depending on the area of the country you are looking).

You might want to look at the car you have before you modify it. Does it need major work? Is the maint. up to date? Is the testpipe the first logical thing to change on the car?
Old 02-09-2004, 01:50 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Chris Prack
Yes it will because the SFR test pipe IS a Fabspeed test pipe. They are just reselling Joe's part.
i've been wanting to say that too...but have been biting my tongue. thats not saying anything bad about fabspeed, joe's shop does nothing short of superior quality work (and joe is one hell of a guy...total p-car nut like us). i find it hard to believe that no other tuner (hint hint) wouldn't make a 3" SS (i have no need for full polish...i'd get it jet hotted) pipe w/ V band clamps for $300-400.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure? It has a different flange than any other I have seen (granted I have not seen Fabspeeds unit). Doesnt matter here too much work to take it off and put it on for emissions check.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Burma Shave
Note: If anyone does buy a used pipe the gaskets are a pita to get a hold of and I am told the stock rings will not work(2 weeks and counting for gaskets to arrive).
Yes and No. I too waited for my gaskets to come from Bursch and wasn't about to do that again (I think they were $20) NAPA sells hi-temp exhaust gasket by the sheet that you can cut to fit (took me about five minutes) and holds-up just fine (actually longer then the bursch gasket as it's metal reinforced). The sheet it 18" x 36" and you can make about two dozen gaskets out of it. It was either $7 or $13 if I remember correctly. If anyone needs the PN# I can get it for you. A few NAPA's I called said they didn't carry anything like that.........until I gave them the PN for it.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Matt H, compare:

Fabspeed:

SFR:

Same thing.
Sam
Old 02-09-2004, 03:56 PM
stoked944
Racer

Originally posted by toddk911
1 piece of exhaust straight pipe, 2 heavy duty exhaust clamps, 1 grinder to cut out cat, couple hours work, 15$ = cat by pass/test pipe.

Of course others in here somehow think a name brand piece of pipe and a generic piece of metal pipe equal to better performance or more hp, but I have yet to see anyone post a dyno to such. But, as stated earlier, to each his own

Would you get an actual straight peice of exhaust pipe? because the ones see in the pics have bends in them? if you can make one out of a straight pipe, where exactly would you put it to get it to flow best? by the way, i don't know what i'm talking about, but i would like to get a testpipe also, but i know somwone who welds and could weld for me if i wanted to go the diy route.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:36 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by OriginalSterm
Good point. Are you looking for a completely stock 951? Good chance you will find a car that has a few basic mods including test pipe (depending on the area of the country you are looking).

You might want to look at the car you have before you modify it. Does it need major work? Is the maint. up to date? Is the testpipe the first logical thing to change on the car?
I know what car I'm getting, as it's reserved for me. The exhaust is stock, the maintenance has been routinely done (verified and documented), the car is in beautiful shape and is accident free. The only mods on it are a conical filter and LBE. It needs no major work that I can see, and I believe (and hope) that will be verified when the owner gets a PPI for me and has the shop send me a copy of their report.

I think the test pipe and chips are two logical first mods. Anyone care to pipe in with their ideas here? All opinions welcome!
Old 02-09-2004, 04:39 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Mike, the cat can ne taken out with a simple straight pipe as shown in Sam Lin's top photo of the Fabspeed setup. See the smaller straight pipe above the cat?
Old 02-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Davinder, both my Bursch and SFR test pipes have snapped, crackled, & popped with my magnaflow muffler. I've got a bolt in resonator on order with Tim. Hopefully that will quiet it down, to socially acceptable levels.

Originally posted by B951S
Is one test pipe more prone to exhaust poping on overrun than another?? I have a BUrsch and have some pretty bad poping on overrun. I have heard the Bursch do this. Anyone?
Old 02-09-2004, 05:24 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally posted by FSAEracer03
I know what car I'm getting, as it's reserved for me. The exhaust is stock, the maintenance has been routinely done (verified and documented), the car is in beautiful shape and is accident free. The only mods on it are a conical filter and LBE. It needs no major work that I can see, and I believe (and hope) that will be verified when the owner gets a PPI for me and has the shop send me a copy of their report.

I think the test pipe and chips are two logical first mods. Anyone care to pipe in with their ideas here? All opinions welcome!
Lucky you!

p0wp0w's dad almost bought my car out from under me last spring. I had a deal and everything and the PO told me he was selling to someone else! Good thing the PO backed out on him (at least that's how he told me it went down).

Test pipe in conjunction with chips and a boost enhancer work well to eliminate boost lag. Good first mods. As long as the rest of the car is up to snuff, learn to really drive the car. Next mods are DE's and schools!
Old 02-09-2004, 05:56 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by FSAEracer03
[BI think the test pipe and chips are two logical first mods. Anyone care to pipe in with their ideas here? All opinions welcome! [/B]

Waste Gate/MBC/bypass CV, clean/ballance fuel injectors, check or replace FPR, throughly check all your vacuum lines. The Euro chip is an improvement over stock but you should have spent a little more for Guru's. For a car like the 951 I'd rather be using the best chip money can buy.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:01 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Cheeta:

"todd...i'm guessing your venting you WG to atmosphere since you didnt mention welder in your recipe. how does it sound when the WG is bleeding off the boost?"

Nope, I didn't touch the WG. It is in stock position, just rebuilt by GURU.

All I did was make two cuts, the cat fell out, then clamped in a piece of straight pipe
Old 02-09-2004, 06:18 PM
stoked944
Racer

so that straight pipe above the cat in the fabspeed photo is the testpipe?
if so then it semms to be not that hard to diy one in there. cool.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:30 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by stoked944
so that straight pipe above the cat in the fabspeed photo is the testpipe?
no
test pipe = no cat
straightpipe = no muffler

using that pipe above the cat is conjunction with the bent up piece is what typically constitutes a testpipe. With a Bursch, this is all one piece. SFR and/or Fabspeed make it two piece, so you can slide in a cat for emissions testing.

I have the full SFR 3" SS system. I like it. It's stupid light. It sounds cool. When I pull the muffler it sounds cool ++
Old 02-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Aleks951
Instructor

Do any companies manufacture a high flow cat that we can use instead of the test pipe? Or is that just a silly waste of time? Just wondering.

Quick Reply: Test pipe choices