Airbag Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 PM
savantauto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Control Unit

Hello All,

Would anyone be able to tell me where the airbag control unit (944 618 917 00) is located on my 1987 951?

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:55 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Likely the same place as the 968 - deep up under the dash on the passenger side.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:50 PM
savantauto
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. How do I find out how to access?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:48 AM
GJB928
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the glove box out and you can access it.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:55 PM
savantauto
Instructor

Many Thanks.

Anyone ever have a situation where the airbag light fails to come on upon engine start up? I know the bulb is good.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:51 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savantauto
Many Thanks.

Anyone ever have a situation where the airbag light fails to come on upon engine start up? I know the bulb is good.
Theres a trick you can do to eliminate all airbag lights. Typically this is done when installing an aftermarket steering wheel in an air bag car.

Copy paste,

PASSENGER SIDE AIRBAG & WARNING LIGHTS

At this point the car will run and the passenger side airbag will still be operational. However, the Airbag Indicator, Seat belt, and warning lights will remain lit because the SRS controller will register a fault from the disconnected driver's side airbag.

There are at least two methods that can be used to turn off the warning lights.

METHOD 1: SNIP THE WARNING LIGHT WIRES. The SRS controller is the bright orange module bolted to the underside of the dash in front of the glove box. It connects to the car harness through a round, 7-pin connector. The wire colors and functions are as follows:

1- brown, ground
2- red/black, central electric KL50
3- black/white, central electric N48
4- black /red, supply for DME relay
5- white, buzzer relay, seat belt
6- unused
7- yellow/black, airbag warning lamp

To keep the warning lights from activating, snip wires 5 and 7 on either the car side of the harness or at the controller itself. (Note: the wires directly attached to the controller are different colors). I didn't use this method because I didn't want to cut any wires in the car harness or controller. In any event, if you snip the wires or just leave the warning lights on, you do NOT KNOW THE STATUS OF THE SYSTEM. Therefore, I recommend the passenger side airbag also be removed or disconnected AT THE BAGS to ensure the bag contacts are shorted. This requires pulling the glove box, which is easily removed by taking out the 5 Phillips screws, the glove box light, and the glove box door. Removal of the passenger airbag is a PITA. I left mine intact, but disconnected.

METHOD 2: DISCONNECT THE CONTROLLER. This is the method I used. If you just disconnect the 7-pin connector the car won't start because the controller needs to send a signal to the DME relay via pin 4. This problem can be overcome by jumping pins 3 and 4 together so the relay receives a signal. The easiest method to do this is to use an old controller-side connector half from a bad controller... or the one from your old controller if you don't intend to use it again. This preserves the integrity of the stock wiring.

I suggest cutting all the wires off the back of the old plug except those corresponding to pins 3 and 4, solder or crimp those two wires together, and protect with shrink wrap or other suitable method (I sealed the back of the connector with RTV). Insert the modified plug into the car side connector half and the engine will start and function normally, and the warning lights will be deactivated :-)

I have one reservation about using this method however. In the event of a real crash that would have been sufficient to deploy the airbags, the controller interrupts power to the DME relay. This turns off the engine and fuel pump. By leaving the controller connected and snipping the warning light wires, this feature is retained.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:57 PM
savantauto
Instructor

thanks for the reply but my problem is the light will not come on. any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:14 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks for the reply but my problem is the light will not come on. any suggestions?
Test the circuit. Probably a bad wire or cluster part. You might try bypassing the airbag light with the jumper method to see if it makes any changes. Take the cluster out and follow the trace lines and look for a break.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:00 AM
GJB928
Instructor

On mine, the PO disabled the air bag system. Part of that mod disabled the light. Do a search and you will find the mod. I reversed it on mine and now everything works. Although I've not tested the actual airbag deployment.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:31 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GJB928
Although I've not tested the actual airbag deployment.
Yeah, that's pretty much a one-time event.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM
savantauto
Instructor

Thanks for the help all. What does PO mean? I have not modified my car at all if that is some type of mod. Glad no one has reported on deployment functionality. Intentional or otherwise!
Old 01-11-2019, 03:07 PM
savantauto
Instructor

Also, what type of tool is used to remove the fasteners holding the control module in place? They look like some type of tamper proof cork screw jawns.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Also, what type of tool is used to remove the fasteners holding the control module in place? They look like some type of tamper proof cork screw jawns.
Those are special 'break-away' fasteners that are designed to use a special socket to remove. I removed mine using a small pair of vice grips to grab the side of the bolt head then used an adjustable wrench to engage the vice grips and turn the assembly to remove them.

YMMV
Old 01-11-2019, 09:46 PM
GJB928
Instructor

Thanks for the help all. What does PO mean?
PO = previous owner.

I did not have to remove the control unit to put the system back to stock.

Quick Reply: Airbag Control Unit