Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Basic Question - Has my motor mount collapsed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:41 PM
Allrpm
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic Question - Has my motor mount collapsed

I installed new Porsche motor mounts about 3 years ago, but am now getting a noticeable vibration again. I took a photo of my passenger side mount to show you guys. One side seems to be crushed down, but I’m no expert. Let me know what you think.

I’d be a bit annoyed if a 3 year old Porsche mount died, especially since they’re so pricey. And it’s strange that inly one side looks crushed.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 PM
Allrpm
3rd Gear

After looking at a photo of a new mount, it appears that they’re made with more rubber on that side, so maybe it’s ok?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:08 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks normal to me. Inspect the rubber for damage. Oem ones I think are liquid filled so they typically rip open, lose liquid and get weak. Most aftermarket are solid rubber so they don't leak but break down over time. I believe it's normal for your header side mount to fail sooner due to heat exposure.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 PM
Allrpm
3rd Gear

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at Clark’s Garage and it says to measure the compressed height, which I’ll do tomorrow.

If the mounts measure out ok, I guess the question is, then, what’s causing a decent vibration throughout the RPM range on my car? I am going to check the timing and balance belts to make sure that they haven’t jumped a tooth. I also have a substantial exhaust leak somewhere, which I’ll smoke test this weekend. Any other ideas?

Quick Reply: Basic Question - Has my motor mount collapsed