Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1987 944 Turbo for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 03:47 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 944 Turbo for sale

First: I'd like to apologize in advance for the long post that will follow... there is certainly a lot on my mind today and I'm not one for change...lol
Second: I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for all the great information and help over the last 10 years. It has truly been a source of pleasure being a part of this "online community" and I have really appreciated everyone's time and efforts. Thank you!!!

Now to the meat of the post... I've decided to sell my Guards Red 1987 944 Turbo. The short story is; free time for me has always been an issue and although I've loved owning and "puttsing" (don't know how to spell that...lol) around with this Iconic vehicle over the last 10 years, I've never really driven it (Garage Queen) as it deserves (about 500 miles since purchasing) and the time has come to make room. My son's Mustang GT will be taking the spot in the garage and my plan is to spend time with him pursuing "mods" on his car that interest him (kids...lol).

The details of my 944:

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo / 72,000 original miles / LSD rear / Guards Red Exterior with Rare Beige Linen Script Sport Interior

Recent Maintenance within the year and within 100 miles of driving: Timing Belt, Balance Belt, Power Steering Belt, Alternator Belt, Rollers, Water Pump, Power Steering Pump Rebuild, Coolant, Motor Oil / filter Change, Rear Diff Oil Change
Maintenance within 500 miles but over the course of ownership: New Spark Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Air Filter
Overall Condition: Excellent inside and out.
Some Side Notes: the front bumper was repainted due to stone chips by one of the previous owners otherwise the car is all original paint and it shines like new. The car had window tint on all windows when purchased. I removed all (pictures still show tint / looks much better without) but the rear hatch. I replaced the weathered factory stone guards rear of the front wheels and front and rear of the rear wheels (if that makes sense). There are 3 smaller than a dime "dings" on the car that I have been waiting for my PDR guy to repair. They may or may not be there at time of sale. Otherwise the exterior is scratch free and as stated shines like new. The car has always been garage kept to the best of my knowledge and looks it. The only "aftermarket items" on the car is the Strut bar, Lindsey Boost Enhancer and 17" wheels (all of which can be easily returned to stock if desired).

I searched for this car for a year and a half before finally pulling the trigger and purchasing it from a great guy in Arizona in 2009. I had it shipped to me via an enclosed trailer and I have never ever had any regrets since the day it arrived. In fact, every single time I uncover it, I'm reminded of how pleased I am in my purchase decision. This car is literally in "like new condition" for being 31 years old.

I am accepting offers over $18.5k and will start the process here on Rennllist. There is much history and many pictures here if you search my posts but I expect and welcome specific questions, picture requests and any additional information wanted. My goal is that the next owner of this 944 will be as happy with their purchase and purchasing experience as I was 10 years ago.

Kurt

Last edited by teamcrossworks; 08-06-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:49 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Wow is this what 87’s with that mileage are going for these days, I’ve seen similar lower mile 951’s fetching near that or similar turboS spec cars fetching more, but never an 86 or 87. Have you considered listing it on BAT? I’ve seen some go on there for decent money. Nice car btw, hope you get the $’s you want, glws.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:37 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Default more pics

Old 08-06-2018, 11:39 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Old 08-06-2018, 03:59 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Very Nice clean car Kurt!

For that money it is a steel here in Europe. You US guys are lucky, I say buy it quick anyone in the market...!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:42 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PF
Very Nice clean car Kurt!

For that money it is a steel here in Europe. You US guys are lucky, I say buy it quick anyone in the market...!
Thank you.

I have seen a lot of 944's both before I purchased this one and after and haven't seen any (even low mile 40k cars) that match up to this one in the details.
I can take pictures anywhere on the car (door jams, exhaust headers, battery compartment, spare tire space ect.) and 99% of it looks perfect. I believe there are only a very small amount of 1986-89 951's in this good original condition... just my opinion.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:49 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everything works - all power accessories work (windows, seats, roof, rear hatch, cruise) and A/C? Any mods to engine or stock? Suspension? Hatch glass separated yet and rattling a little...looks like no dash cracks
Oil used - Mobil 1, VR1, or ??
TBelt, Bal, and water pump last done?
Oil pan gasket ok?
Clutch changed, upgraded or ?? Interested...but also sent to a buddy whose wife misses their 1986 one, that JAB Racing rebuilt the motor with LR 340 kit and it dyno'd spot on and passed TN emission check.

Last edited by Ski; 08-14-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Looks like a great car. My 87 just sits under a cover most of its life, it is also in fantastic shape. It has engine mods, so it has a lot of power, and it is just a hoot to drive.

I can't see getting rid of it for now, it's just too much fun the 3 or 4 times a year I drive it. Best of luck!
Old 08-14-2018, 10:19 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
Interested...but also sent to a buddy whose wife misses their 1986 one, that JAB Racing rebuilt the motor with LR 340 kit and it dyno'd spot on and passed TN emission check.
I knew it....,

T
Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I sold my '87 too soon :-(
Old 08-15-2018, 08:45 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
everything works - all power accessories work (windows, seats, roof, rear hatch, cruise) and A/C? Any mods to engine or stock? Suspension? Hatch glass separated yet and rattling a little...looks like no dash cracks
Oil used - Mobil 1, VR1, or ??
TBelt, Bal, and water pump last done?
Oil pan gasket ok?
Clutch changed, upgraded or ?? Interested...but also sent to a buddy whose wife misses their 1986 one, that JAB Racing rebuilt the motor with LR 340 kit and it dyno'd spot on and passed TN emission check.
Ironic. Your black 951 was one of the ones I was looking at 10 years ago but you sold it before I could pull the trigger ...

To answer your questions:
Everything works except the boost gauge and speedometer which worked fine before this last 3 year sitting spell (I'm trouble shooting them both now and hope to resolve shortly)
No mods at all except as mentioned (wheels, strut bar and Linsey Boost Enhancer)
Hatch glass just starting to show signs of separation but no rattling
No dash cracks at all
VR1 20-50W

Again this car is in excellent condition and I would be surprised to see many it's equal.
Not trying to be obnoxious but to relay the condition accurately...
Old 08-16-2018, 04:37 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

You mean this one...I miss this car. I pm'd the owner the other day to see if he still had it. Last time I talked to him, he was having a "miss" issue and was about to change the wiring harness with the BRAND NEW one I gave him in the sale - yes I had one in the box, brand new 87 harness.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:14 AM
dionphaneuf
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice car. Those sport seats are super rare. That price is pretty high. You could certainly take the risk and put it on BaT with a high reserve. I'd maybe consider hiring a photographer and take it to a cool location. There's certainly the chance you get more than 18.5k. That said, you need to be willing to put in the time and effort to deal with the peanut gallery of comments, but a super clean car like this with these options could go for a lot there on the right day.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:23 AM
thom4782
Advanced

Just bought a similar car for about $17.5 in mid July off of Bring a Trailer. Saw one advertised in San Francisco for 29K around the same time...Good luck
Old 08-28-2018, 07:45 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

PM'd you Bret.

Quick Reply: 1987 944 Turbo for sale