Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 02:03 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Default v8 Ford Throttle Body on 951 engine questions

Hi,
Hoping you guys can help.
I have installed a TB from a v8 ford engine to the intake of a 951 but would like to see some photos of the modifications you guys have done to make it work.
I'm running a map sensor on the pipe before the TB.
Question: how do you route air into the intake for start up/idle if the butterfly is closed on start up/idle?
Thanks!
Old 07-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...options-4.html

The above link shows what people are doing for mounting, but doesn't discuss my concern for intake air for engine running at zero throttle input. I know the air should be "filtered" for cleanliness & also measured by the MAP sensor for proper engine management. So I suspect if I run hoses after air filter then feed the intake in one of the 15mm tubes on the intake near the head, essentially bypassing the TB. I guess if I can find an oem Porsche diagram, it would give me a general idea of routing.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:14 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Noah,
if you're running a MAP sensor it should be behind the throttle plate. "manifold absolute pressure".
on my VEMS i added a T to the vac line going to the FPR for my MAP sensor.

where the Porsche TB had a bypass screw the Ford TBs tend to have a small bleed hole drilled in the throttle plate.
although the idle valve really will take care of most of the idle issue.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:51 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

The factory setup has the idle valve taking filtered air from before the throttle body and dumping it downstream of the throttle body via one of the ports on the intake manifold.

Be aware that the factory 944 idle valve is a PWM type, it will require setup and tuning to get it to meet idle speed targets and etc. If you are interested in a simpler setup, some factory Ford idle valves were an "on/off" type that requires no setup. When the car is cold the ECU switches it on, sort of creating a controlled vacuum leak that gives a fast idle. When warm it turns off. Simple but effective.

This is the same idea as the early 944 style valve but that valve has no ECU input whatsoever. It just gets switched 12v and as it warms up the air bypass gets less and less.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:28 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a functional AC?
Old 07-05-2018, 02:04 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Noah,
if you're running a MAP sensor it should be behind the throttle plate. "manifold absolute pressure".

where the Porsche TB had a bypass screw the Ford TBs tend to have a small bleed hole drilled in the throttle plate.
Ideally the MAP sensor should have a dedicated signal line to the intake manifold that is not shared with any other component. I would check with Laust Pedersen (he posts on this forum) to see if he has any vacuum manifolds left.

Originally Posted by odonnell
The factory setup has the idle valve taking filtered air from before the throttle body and dumping it downstream of the throttle body via one of the ports on the intake manifold.

Be aware that the factory 944 idle valve is a PWM type, it will require setup and tuning to get it to meet idle speed targets and etc. If you are interested in a simpler setup, some factory Ford idle valves were an "on/off" type that requires no setup. When the car is cold the ECU switches it on, sort of creating a controlled vacuum leak that gives a fast idle. When warm it turns off. Simple but effective.

This is the same idea as the early 944 style valve but that valve has no ECU input whatsoever. It just gets switched 12v and as it warms up the air bypass gets less and less.
This is good information. I guess it all depends on what the original poster is doing for engine management----that would be good info to have!
Old 07-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tedro951
Do you have a functional AC?
yes. OEM hardware 1988 944.
Installing a SDS EFI Management system which comes with a "fast idle relay", and the ecm gives the relay a ground when it senses power to the air compressor clutch.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Fascinating! And I always thought the 944 oem unit was 12v on or off. Glad to hear this because the engine management kit I bought came with an idle air solenoid to deal with loads such as a/c or cold starts.Looking at it I thought it seemed similar to the Porsche one. This explains why the company said "you'll need this". Thanks homes!
Old 07-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Noah,

Shoot! I'm a dummy... sorry it was early in the morning and I don't know why I wrote "MAP before TB".
I think part of my confusion comes from converting from the AFM to MAP. I must have been thinking of the AFM measuring air before the TB, but what you say makes sense. MAP on the manifold. ECM tells air valve "more or less" and all the while the MAP is reading and supplying values to the ecm. Gotcha buddy!
Old 07-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Droops83
Ideally the MAP sensor should have a dedicated signal line to the intake manifold that is not shared with any other component. I would check with Laust Pedersen (he posts on this forum) to see if he has any vacuum manifolds left.

This is good information. I guess it all depends on what the original poster is doing for engine management----that would be good info to have!
Thanks mate! I will search Laust and see what that cat is doing.
The product I'm installing on an otherwise stock 951 engine: http://www.sdsefi.com/ (My car is called "Wilson" or "Rough Life Wilson" and I usually have some type of build thread on this or the non model specific forum).
I did read on the instructions regarding the MAP sensor, if the ecm is getting rapidly fluctuating values, then install a reduced like a mig wire welding tip (.035") in the line as it helps stabilize.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:37 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I tee'd my map sensor into the FPR/fuel damper vac lines as well:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5c26932bac.jpg

On the stock TB there's a nipple right downstream of the throttle plate. I used a 3-way vacuum line fitting. One goes to the TB nipple, one goes to the MAP sensor, one goes under the manifold. That last one splits between the FPR/damper. Never had a problem.

The MAP sensor is mounted on the TB bracket where the auto transmission kickdown cable would go (obviously not present in a 5 speed car). Used a small piece of steel drilled to match the 2 bolt holes on the sensor with a hole drilled for the sensor's nipple. The nipple goes through the hole where the cable end would seat in the bracket.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

I tee'd my map sensor into the FPR/fuel damper vac lines as well:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5c26932bac.jpg

On the stock TB there's a nipple right downstream of the throttle plate. I used a 3-way vacuum line fitting. One goes to the TB nipple, one goes to the MAP sensor, one goes under the manifold. That last one splits between the FPR/damper. Never had a problem.

The MAP sensor is mounted on the TB bracket where the auto transmission kickdown cable would go (obviously not present in a 5 speed car). Used a small piece of steel drilled to match the 2 bolt holes on the sensor with a hole drilled for the sensor's nipple. The nipple goes through the hole where the cable end would seat in the bracket.
EDIT: I just took a look at Noah's build thread and realized that he is turbocharging a NA 944 . . . . while this does not invalidate what I say below, it explains why he is using a Ford TB!

That looks like a good solution for a NA 944, nice short run to the MAP sensor. The 951 engine bay is much more cramped, and the ideal place to install an external MAP sensor is on the firewall; therefore many people simply tee into the existing vacuum lines back there (my VEMS ECU has an internal MAP sensor, so I simply plugged the KLR line into that). The problem is, the stock 951 already has a long daisy chain of devices (including the bypass/"blow-off" valve) which tap into the same port on the manifold. The optimal solution is to have a dedicated port for each device, which ensures a strong signal and rapid response . Plus it makes checking for vacuum/boost leaks much, much easier!

Years' worth of discussion and conjecture about the subject can be found here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...her-stuff.html

Last edited by Droops83; 07-08-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: v8 Ford Throttle Body on 951 engine questions