Inspect 2/6 rod bearings with TB off and crank locked at 45░ BTDC - Page 2 - Rennlist Discussion Forums



Inspect 2/6 rod bearings with TB off and crank locked at 45░ BTDC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #16
M. Requin
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
M. Requin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 3,036
Default

What the hell, carry on! I understand (although try to stay away from) your position, and besides, seppuku wa dame da yo!
M. Requin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #17
hwyengr
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hwyengr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 512
Default

Just a point of order, my rod bearings looked fine the but the #1 main was worn from what is suspected to be a faulty damper.
hwyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #18
jbrob007
User
 
jbrob007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,235
Default

Seth, You mentioned that you drained your oil into a contaminated catch pan. I would not be surprised if you had an antifreeze or other liquid sheen rise to the top... If that's all that's bothering you I wouldn't get TOO stressed. It appears you've fallen into the same "mind trap" I did with my first 928. There were some things that needed to be done, like deferred maintenance, etc, but noting too major. After getting the WYAIT bug up my ***, I ended up spending $6K on PARTS... Fortunately, labor was pizza & beer - gotta love the 928 Buckeye Landsharks! The point being, my first car didn't NEED most of the parts we replaced... but I did anyway... WYAIT. I soooooooo feeeeeeeeeeel your pain! Wrap it up before you drain the bank and drive your car. I know you'll have the oil tested in 5K miles and that's a good thing, but I've got $5 that says it'll come back pretty clean Glad Pete's 86.5 landed with such a great guy... Best of luck Dude!

Joel
jbrob007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:39 AM   #19
skpyle
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
skpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Blacksburg, SC
Posts: 1,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Requin View Post
What the hell, carry on! I understand (although try to stay away from) your position, and besides, seppuku wa dame da yo!
Thanks Martin. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! I am in this position through my own fault and failings. And I will get out through my own efforts.




Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyengr View Post
Just a point of order, my rod bearings looked fine the but the #1 main was worn from what is suspected to be a faulty damper.

hwyengr: Ye gods, that is gnawing at a corner of my mind. The balancer on the Red Witch looked none too good. I have a new ATI Superdamper on order from Greg. Hopefully it is not too late.





Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrob007 View Post
Seth, You mentioned that you drained your oil into a contaminated catch pan. I would not be surprised if you had an antifreeze or other liquid sheen rise to the top... If that's all that's bothering you I wouldn't get TOO stressed. It appears you've fallen into the same "mind trap" I did with my first 928. There were some things that needed to be done, like deferred maintenance, etc, but noting too major. After getting the WYAIT bug up my ***, I ended up spending $6K on PARTS... Fortunately, labor was pizza & beer - gotta love the 928 Buckeye Landsharks! The point being, my first car didn't NEED most of the parts we replaced... but I did anyway... WYAIT. I soooooooo feeeeeeeeeeel your pain! Wrap it up before you drain the bank and drive your car. I know you'll have the oil tested in 5K miles and that's a good thing, but I've got $5 that says it'll come back pretty clean Glad Pete's 86.5 landed with such a great guy... Best of luck Dude!

Joel
Hi Joel!
Thanks for the encouragement!
I have definitely gone too far. I have spent $10K on parts on my own after taking possession of the Red Witch last May. That doesn't include the $7K I spent at Auto Assets. Some are needed, some are wanted. I had planned on doing all of them in a reasonable amount of time. That time just ended up coming together now...

Unfortunately, it is not that simple for the oil pans. My oil drain pans are enclosed, and only used for oil products. I drain coolant in another pan. The oil catch pans have recently had engine oil, ATF, gear oil, and brake fluid from other vehicles.
As the oil from the Red Witch drained onto the decks of the catch pans, I could see the fine metallic sheen in the sun.
Deep down, I agree with you. This is probably nothing. I have never seen the oil drained in my 928 yet. I have only driven it 2000 miles. I would assume Auto Assests would have told me if they saw something bad in the oil when the drained it.
I really don't think anything has failed in the engine. But, I HAVE to check for my own sanity.
I am going to put her back together, drive her, and do an oil sample. And go from there.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Sometimes, I need it. I look out at my 928, sitting on lift bars, many pieces apart, and think that I am a sh*tty steward. I have a vision in my head and a plan in my heart. And the bank is already drained. That's why I have to get this right in one shot.
skpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:49 AM   #20
jcorenman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jcorenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Friday Harbor, WA
Posts: 3,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpyle View Post
...
As the oil from the Red Witch drained onto the decks of the catch pans, I could see the fine metallic sheen in the sun....
I am going to put her back together, drive her, and do an oil sample. And go from there.
This^^... Contact Blackstone, request some sample containers. For the next change, drive the car and warm it up, then drain the oil into the usual scuzzy pan. When you pull the drain plug, count to three or four, then stick the sample bottle into the stream and fill it 3/4 full. Seal it up, send it in, post results.

It's like a urine sample, they want a mid-stream catch.

P.S. You need to spend more time driving, less time worrying
jcorenman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:26 AM   #21
skpyle
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
skpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Blacksburg, SC
Posts: 1,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorenman View Post
This^^... Contact Blackstone, request some sample containers. For the next change, drive the car and warm it up, then drain the oil into the usual scuzzy pan. When you pull the drain plug, count to three or four, then stick the sample bottle into the stream and fill it 3/4 full. Seal it up, send it in, post results.

It's like a urine sample, they want a mid-stream catch.

P.S. You need to spend more time driving, less time worrying

Thanks, Jim!
I have spent some time on Blackstone's website. I saw that they want a sample in the 'middle'.
Having been in the military, I am entirely too familiar with urine samples.


As for the last part, God, you are so right...
The two months that I drove the Red Witch were GLORIOUS! That is what is driving me now.

Last edited by skpyle; 03-15-2017 at 11:51 PM.
skpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:16 AM   #22
M. Requin
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
M. Requin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 3,036
Default

You may have done this and I missed it, but all my major projects - brakes & suspension, top end refresh, etc. have had a reward scheduled as a goal to shoot for. Get it ready for SITM, Frenzy, Hershey -and now Camp928. I have made some and missed some, but have always been motivated by the goal, and never discouraged when I didn't make it, because I knew this would be a never-ending story when I started it. YMMV.
M. Requin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #23
Rob Edwards
Archive Gatekeeper
Rennlist Member
 
Rob Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 12,042
Default

Rule #1 of 928 Club is that it oughta be fun. If it isn't, walk away for a while. It's not like the car's gonna go anywhere...
Rob Edwards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #24
skpyle
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
skpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Blacksburg, SC
Posts: 1,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Requin View Post
You may have done this and I missed it, but all my major projects - brakes & suspension, top end refresh, etc. have had a reward scheduled as a goal to shoot for. Get it ready for SITM, Frenzy, Hershey -and now Camp928. I have made some and missed some, but have always been motivated by the goal, and never discouraged when I didn't make it, because I knew this would be a never-ending story when I started it. YMMV.
Thanks, Martin! My goal is SITM 2017. I knew this would be a commitment, but didn't realize I would fall so far so fast.
I'll get it.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Edwards View Post
Rule #1 of 928 Club is that it oughta be fun. If it isn't, walk away for a while. It's not like the car's gonna go anywhere...
Thanks Rob. I appreciate it.
I am getting wrapped too tight...
skpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #25
GregBBRD

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

 
GregBBRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 7,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpyle View Post
Thanks, Greg!

The Red Witch has around 165,000 on her clock. Broken in but not worn out. I think that is high enough mileage to justify checking the rods. A general theme I have picked up from yours and other posts on bearings in a 928 is that if the rod bearings are OK, then the main bearings are likely OK. Though not always. In some of your threads on failing harmonic balancers, you had noted failures of main bearings while the rods looked good.

I am just going to have to hope for the best.
The reality of crankshaft bearings:

I've never seen a worn main bearing kill an engine (except for TBF engine.....and the bearing failure is a result, not the cause.) Main bearings get worn and it is visually obvious that they have wear. The crankcase can get pounded by the main bearings, also. I believe a large amount of this wear is caused by the failure of the crank damper. Obviously, any wear or pounding increases bearing clearance and is not desirable. However, unless the main bearings spin, it is doubtful that an engine failure will ever occur.

Rod bearing wear will kill an engine.....quickly.
GregBBRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #26
skpyle
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
skpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Blacksburg, SC
Posts: 1,109
Default

Thanks Greg!
That makes sense, and is why I am checking all 8 rod bearing sets.


As an aside, I want to apologize to Jim Corenman. I mistakenly called you 'John.'
Sorry! It has been corrected in the post.
skpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:24 AM   #27
GregBBRD

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

 
GregBBRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 7,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpyle View Post
Thanks Greg!
That makes sense, and is why I am checking all 8 rod bearings.
This might sound strange...
But hopefully you are wasting your time.
GregBBRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:48 AM   #28
skpyle
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
skpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Blacksburg, SC
Posts: 1,109
Default

No, I understand!

I want to find 16 happy rod bearing shells with normal wear, ready to be reoiled and put back into service.
I have no problem spending the money on 16 new rod cap nuts.
I have no problem going through the effort of inspecting the bearings.

If I don't, I'll never know.
skpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #29
Chris Lockhart
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Chris Lockhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Taylors, S.C.
Posts: 1,601
Default

Best of luck Seth. If you need any extra tooling, especially calibrated torque wrenches, let me know.
Chris Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #30
skpyle
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
skpyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Blacksburg, SC
Posts: 1,109
Default

Hi Chris!

Thank you for the offer! As of right now, I have a decent set of torque wrenches that I trust, 1/4 - 3/4" drive, both click and beam type.
However, if I run into trouble, I will get ahold of you.
skpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding TDC with no belt SalzundPfeffer 924/931/944/951/968 Forum 7 06-19-2016 12:58 PM
Another TDC question fiily 944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 12 04-21-2016 01:08 AM
Wait... What?!? IMS removal, 4-6 head.. oh my. RRTEC 996 Forum 3 04-14-2016 11:08 PM
Yet Another Timing Belt Tension Question Pitt944T 924/931/944/951/968 Forum 13 11-10-2015 01:00 AM
What would cause an engine to lock up besides valves? (Re-Timing) yellowline 924/931/944/951/968 Forum 8 04-04-2011 01:37 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Copyright ę 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send