Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 11:26 AM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drivers don't install on my Laptop:

Old 10-09-2020, 01:26 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

My Windows 10 machine installed the software and drivers just fine. The GUI does not report installed drivers - probably needs to see the USB interface to populate that data.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 381 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Perry 951
My Windows 10 machine installed the software and drivers just fine. The GUI does not report installed drivers - probably needs to see the USB interface to populate that data.

To be clear on what is going on, the application is just adding the driver to the Windows "driver store". When Windows detects the OBD+ interface, it will automatically pull the driver from this store and install it. Unless the OBD+ module is connected, the "USB" and "OBD" indicators will remain red. Once connected, both of these indicators will turn green and the firmware version of the OBD+ interface will appear in the "About" Tab.

Last edited by Ftech9; 10-09-2020 at 04:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
riouxc (10-10-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 10:40 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Update #7 To OBD Project

The OBD+ Module Upgrade now has a product page on the website, I expect to open up order for the Beta launch very soon!

riouxc (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:55 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Question 944 OBD Project beta

Originally Posted by Ftech9
The OBD+ Module Upgrade now has a product page on the website, I expect to open up order for the Beta launch very soon!
On your web site, you state that the only WBO2 is AEM 03-0300 via analog output but to ask for other. I use Innovate MTX. Will that be an issue? Thanks.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:25 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by riouxc
On your web site, you state that the only WBO2 is AEM 03-0300 via analog output but to ask for other. I use Innovate MTX. Will that be an issue? Thanks.
Supporting Innovate WBO2 will be no problem. I reviewed every manual they have available for download and the 0-5V analog outputs for WB02 are all scaled identical. I will start working on this now, it should not take long to get it integrated into FocusOBD.

riouxc (10-14-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 10:51 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I implemented Innovate WBO2 in the FocusOBD software, it is available now for download on the website. There is now a "Settings" tab where you can select your controller from a dropdown list:

riouxc (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 07:15 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Talking 944 OBD Project beta

I installed the new version on my laptop (Windows 7 Pro 64 bits). No issues, still that USB driver quirk. Dropdown works properly. Can't wait to see the results with the OBD. I shipped my ECU yesterday...

I implemented Innovate WBO2 in the FocusOBD software, it is available now for download on the website. There is now a "Settings" tab where you can select your controller from a dropdown list:

Old 10-18-2020, 07:02 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Update #8 OBD Project

The OBD+ Module is now available for purchase as a Beta product!

OBD+ Upgrade Module

Customers will receive the following perks for being early adopters:
  • A $100 Discount
  • Free Optional “Pig Tails” for MAP and WBO2
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
  • Free Hardware Updates
  • Priority Support
riouxc (10-18-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 12:15 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Update #9 OBD Project

I just implemented a new sensor called “NBO2 Digital”. This sensor I especially interesting because it can be used to help determine if your NBO2 sensor is functioning properly and/or detect a rich or lean condition. The NBO2 or “Narrow-Band Oxygen Sensor”, is used to measure the oxygen content of the exhaust. This information is used by the DME to keep the AFR (Air to Fuel Ratio) as close to optimum as possible. However, the NBO2 can tell you if the mixture is rich or lean, but it cannot tell you by how much. To be useful, the DME is constantly crossing the rich/lean threshold to indirectly know that it hitting the target value of about 14.6 AFR for gasoline, this is also known as ”Stoichiometric AFR”. With the OBD+ Module, you can actual see the DME behaving this way! Here is a video of the FocusOBD application reading out the “NBO2 Digital” and “NBO2” sensors from my 1985.5 944 NA:

The engine needs to be warmed up to enter “closed-loop” mode where it starts regulating AFR based on the NBO2 sensor. You can see from the video that the “NBO2 Digital” sensor constantly cycles between Rich and Lean; this is completely normal and expected. Also note the “NBO2” analog voltage slowly ramps up and down. This is actually caused by the DME program making very slight corrections to the injector pulse width. You can kind of see this in the “Injector Pulse Width” sensor. I am rounding to one digit and doing a lot of oversampling, so it is not very pronounced for now. Eventually I will have a special tab dedicated to NBO2 diagnostics. This tab will put everything at optimal settings to better analyze the NBO2 sensor. As a point of reference to how small of a change we are talking about, note the WBO2 sensor tracks this oscillation, but not by a while lot. Not to put too fine of a point on it, but the “Narrow” in NBO2 gets its name because it has a very large signal output over an extremely “narrow’ AFR band.

All F9T DME’s are based on the factory BOSCH DME, so they share a lot of functional similarities. Nether the BOSCH or F9T DME reads the NBO2 analog voltage directly. This signal is processed by a circuit that triggers on four specific voltages. These four trigger points are relayed to the DME program via two digital inputs. All the DME program knows about the NBO2 sensor is Lean, Going Rich, Rich and Going Lean. Presumably, it is measuring the time between these transitions to get the rate of change then calculating the Injector Pulse Width correction.

Last edited by Ftech9; 10-21-2020 at 12:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ftech9:
Chris Moon (10-21-2020), riouxc (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 03:50 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up 944 OBD Project beta

I just implemented a new sensor called “NBO2 Digital”. This sensor I especially interesting because it can be used to help determine if your NBO2 sensor is functioning properly and/or detect a rich or lean condition. The NBO2 or “Narrow-Band Oxygen Sensor”, is used to measure the oxygen content of the exhaust. This information is used by the DME to keep the AFR (Air to Fuel Ratio) as close to optimum as possible. However, the NBO2 can tell you if the mixture is rich or lean, but it cannot tell you by how much. To be useful, the DME is constantly crossing the rich/lean threshold to indirectly know that it hitting the target value of about 14.6 AFR for gasoline, this is also known as ”Stoichiometric AFR”. With the OBD+ Module, you can actual see the DME behaving this way! Here is a video of the FocusOBD application reading out the “NBO2 Digital” and “NBO2” sensors from my 1985.5 944 NA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3lxIVFTxw4

The engine needs to be warmed up to enter “closed-loop” mode where it starts regulating AFR based on the NBO2 sensor. You can see from the video that the “NBO2 Digital” sensor constantly cycles between Rich and Lean; this is completely normal and expected. Also note the “NBO2” analog voltage slowly ramps up and down. This is actually caused by the DME program making very slight corrections to the injector pulse width. You can kind of see this in the “Injector Pulse Width” sensor. I am rounding to one digit and doing a lot of oversampling, so it is not very pronounced for now. Eventually I will have a special tab dedicated to NBO2 diagnostics. This tab will put everything at optimal settings to better analyze the NBO2 sensor. As a point of reference to how small of a change we are talking about, note the WBO2 sensor tracks this oscillation, but not by a while lot. Not to put too fine of a point on it, but the “Narrow” in NBO2 gets its name because it has a very large signal output over an extremely “narrow’ AFR band.

All F9T DME’s are based on the factory BOSCH DME, so they share a lot of functional similarities. Nether the BOSCH or F9T DME reads the NBO2 analog voltage directly. This signal is processed by a circuit that triggers on four specific voltages. These four trigger points are relayed to the DME program via two digital inputs. All the DME program knows about the NBO2 sensor is Lean, Going Rich, Rich and Going Lean. Presumably, it is measuring the time between these transitions to get the rate of change then calculating the Injector Pulse Width correction.

Latest version installed without issues on my Laptop Windows 7 pro 64 bits.

You should receive my ECU Thursday or Friday.

Regards,
Charles
Old 10-26-2020, 07:32 PM
zoom944T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

will this software be compatible with an ipad or is it laptop only?
Old 10-27-2020, 11:19 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zoom944T
will this software be compatible with an ipad or is it laptop only?
For now the FocusOBD software is for Windows only. However, I should to be able to reuse about 80% of its code towards an iOS and Android app. I expect to start development on these platforms early next year. But keep in mind that some features will likely only be supported on the Windows platform due to peformance and/or other technical limitations.

The FocusOBD Software is made for touchscreens (I.e. Touch-First Application) and will run on cheap Windows tablets. I picked up an older Fujitsu Windows 8.1 tablet on eBay for a little over $100 and I prefer it over my $2000 Surface Pro 7! The Fujitsu gets much faster sensor updates than the SP7 and the docking station is convenient for a quick Grab-And-Scan. Plus it has two USB A connectors (SP7 has only one). I have also tested on the HP Stream 7, and it works well, but you definitely don’t want to run Windows 10 on it.

Last edited by Ftech9; 10-27-2020 at 11:22 AM.
riouxc (10-27-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 12:30 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Talking

Hello all,

Package received. I will install it later today and give you info on this.

Regards
Charles

Old 10-30-2020, 02:44 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hello all,

Package received. I will install it later today and give you info on this.

Regards
Charles
That's great! Cant wait for you to get the OBD system up and running. Let me know if you run into any issues installing it or bugs, I will get you fixed up ASAP.

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)