Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 05:11 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 132 Posts

Wow. Thanks for all your efforts. I suspect this will prove a valuable addition to the DME

As for your initial post's question, of all the optional sensors on top of the basic "Internal Sensors", I vote:

Reference + RPM sensors waveforms
TPS
MAP
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (04-21-2022)
Old 03-23-2019, 06:13 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting. What's the reason for going with an external Bluetooth adapter, rather than incorporating one onto the OBD Module board (and presumably routing an antenna through the case)?
Old 03-23-2019, 07:04 PM
MN
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Exciting. Any possibility that this could (be developed to) support a 968 motor! (Have '86 944NA but now with 968 motor.)
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (04-21-2022)
Old 03-23-2019, 07:09 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 386 Likes on 146 Posts

There are actually several reasons I decided to make the Bluetooth an option rather than integrating it:

Cost – Not everyone will want or use the feature.

Time to market – I don’t need to select the Bluetooth module at this point in development. It will actually take some time to test several options and get the best peformance.

Upgradeability – I can change the Bluetooth adapter with the latest version of what ever wireless technology exists in the future.

Last edited by Ftech9; 03-25-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default 968 DME Support

Originally Posted by MN
Exciting. Any possibility that this could (be developed to) support a 968 motor! (Have '86 944NA but now with 968 motor.)
Creating a DME for the next Generation of BOSCH Motronic computers has long been on my development list. I have bought a few of these DMEs and took them apart. I can defiantly develop a replacement and my OBD technology would essentially bolt right on to it. However, it is huge development effort and I would need buy a Porsche 968, 964 and 944S to develop on. I am in no way apposed to this, but it is a huge expense and I need to start small with the 944 and 951 I currently have. Once I take the ML3.1 Motronic platform as far as I can go I will I will port all of my technology to the ML4.x Motronic.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:39 PM
MN
Racer

Originally Posted by Ftech9
would need buy a Porsche 968, 964
There are definitely worse things in life than having to buy a Porsche 968 or a Porsche 964
Old 03-24-2019, 12:08 PM
MN
Racer

Creating a DME for the next Generation of BOSCH Motronic computers has long been on my development list ... However, it is huge development effort ... huge expense ... Once I take the ML3.1 Motronic platform as far as I can go ...l port all of my technology to the ML4.x Motronic.
Thank you for your reply. I believe most of us can't even fathom the complexity of such a project.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by darek_u
Can you write few words about the functions it provides?
My first post goes into specifics, but here are the main objectives for the custom Windows software I will create:
  • Intuitive/Easy to use
  • Tablet/Touchscreen Friendly
  • Simple DVR Style Data-logging
    • “Select your sensors then select record”
  • Free Software, share and play back Data-logs with the 944/911(3.2L) community.
  • Read Live Engine Data
  • Graph Live Engine Data
  • Self-Diagnostics
    • Flywheel Sensors
    • Oxygen Sensor
    • Injectors
    • Ignition
The software will be released in stages starting with a simple data grid of sensors and evolve with free updates from there.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:47 PM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm most interested in the self-diagnosis part. In your previous posts you mentioned that your hardware will not support error codes - how to understand "self diagnostic" then? Just a simple check for open loop or short circuit?
Last but not least - will it be compatible with Rogue DME or it is a whole different animal?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 132 Posts

My first post goes into specifics, but here are the main objectives for the custom Windows software I will create:
  • Intuitive/Easy to use
  • Tablet/Touchscreen Friendly
  • Simple DVR Style Data-logging
    • “Select your sensors then select record”
  • Free Software, share and play back Data-logs with the 944/911(3.2L) community.
  • Read Live Engine Data
  • Graph Live Engine Data
  • Self-Diagnostics
    • Flywheel Sensors
    • Oxygen Sensor
    • Injectors
    • Ignition
The software will be released in stages starting with a simple data grid of sensors and evolve with free updates from there.
Will the use of Microsoft Windows be a requirement? For example, most tablets are Google's Android or Apple's iOS and some people don't even have a windows machine / laptop anymore (ie. using OSX (Macbook), ChromeOS (Chromebook), linux, etc)
Old 03-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Self Diagnosis

Originally Posted by darek_u
OK, I'm most interested in the self-diagnosis part. In your previous posts you mentioned that your hardware will not support error codes - how to understand "self diagnostic" then? Just a simple check for open loop or short circuit?
Last but not least - will it be compatible with Rogue DME or it is a whole different animal?
What I mean by “Self Diagnosis” is active and intelligent evaluation of sensor data.

For example, there are two flywheel sensors on a 944/911 (3.2L). One reads each and every tooth on the starter ring and the other reads a maker at top dead center (TDC). The when the OBD module reads the TDC marker it will start counting the number of flywheel teeth. When the OBD module reads TDC again it will expect that count to be exactly the number of physical teeth on the starter ring. If the count is higher or lower, then the sensor failed to read properly one or more times. The same logic also works in reverse. If the tooth count is higher than the physical number of teeth on the starter ring, TDC Sensor failed to read properly.

If ether of the above failures happens, I would highlight the sensor on the GUI and increment an error count. If bad wiring is suspected, you could shake the sensors harness/connector and see how that changes the frequency of errors.

The Rogue Tuning DME is a close “cousin” of my standard DME. I will create a version that is compatible with it. The main issue is getting access to the switches which would be covered the this version of the OBD Module.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default iOS Android Support

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic

Will the use of Microsoft Windows be a requirement? For example, most tablets are Google's Android or Apple's iOS and some people don't even have a windows machine / laptop anymore (ie. using OSX (Macbook), ChromeOS (Chromebook), linux, etc)
I completely agree. However, while I have strong skills developing firmware, electronics and Windows applications, I will need to learn a cross platform skillset using Xamerian. Basically, this will allow me to use the same base code for Android, iOS and Windows platforms. But this also means Windows will come first because I am already comfortable writing code on this platform.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up

I completely agree. However, while I have strong skills developing firmware, electronics and Windows applications, I will need to learn a cross platform skillset using Xamerian. Basically, this will allow me to use the same base code for Android, iOS and Windows platforms. But this also means Windows will come first because I am already comfortable writing code on this platform.

Btw that new DME is working Beautifully

Dwayne
Old 03-28-2019, 09:22 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Will this also work with Rogue’s DME?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Rogue DME Support

Originally Posted by fejjj
Will this also work with Rogue’s DME?
The OBD Module Prototype in the pictures above could plug directly into a Rogue Tuning DME and basically work. However, the Rogue Tuning DME has a different injection driver and several switches. I will need to create a slightly different design to read the injection current waveform and provide access to these switches.

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)