Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 02:27 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
The OBD+ system requests sensor data at a very high rate, typically something like 2000 to 4000 updates per second. Some slower computers cannot keep up with the request/response transactions and start buffering the overflow data. Buffering this data creates a time lag where the date is no longer being displayed in real-time. If at any time you see the buffer percentage above 0%, you should adjust the PID delay until it stays rock-solid at 0%.

Joe
For the next major FocusOBD update I plan to complete the data "streaming" feature which will be much more efficient for Windows in terms of response time and CPU utilization. This is mainly because Windows will no longer need to request every parameter individually to get an update. But also, because the data rate will automatically throttle itself based on buffer utilization.

-Joe
Old 04-22-2024, 05:40 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Bumping for update from Joe on MAF for 944
The following 3 users liked this post by T&T Racing:
1q2w3e4r5t (04-30-2024), riouxc (04-26-2024), spencang (04-22-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Bumping for update from Joe on MAF for 944
Sorry for the late reply, I just got back from vacation and had a lot that needed to be done before I left.

As much as I would like to finish MAF and release it, all non-critical projects are on hold until I complete a major upgrade to my production processes. The incremental improvements I made recently helped for a while but are no longer enough. It is time to take things to the next level and invest heavily in the tools and equipment that will produce the needed volume for the foreseeable future. I estimate it will take the rest of the year to complete this upgrade, but as new equipment is added this should also free up development time.

Joe
The following users liked this post:
J1NX3D (05-07-2024)
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM
Knucklebuster
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth mode MAF???

[QUOTE=Ftech9;17827239]Lately things have been very busy, but I managed to get some MAF development done. I decided to try additive manufacturing (i.e. 3D printing) and produce my own MAF housings. Originally, I was going to use OTS (Off-The-Shelf) MAF housings and adapters but there were a couple issues. First, the MAF sensor was not perfectly centered in the housing. This is not ideal because the airflow at the center of the housing is the least restricted and only degrades as it approaches the walls. Second, the airflow transition between the square air cleaner box and the round MAF housing was abrupt. This creates air flow disturbance that cause the MAF sensor to read less accurately than it could. There was also an issue where I was not able to source a OTS housing and adapter for the 944 Turbo.

I designed the below MAF housing in Solidworks and printed it using engineering grade ASA filament. This material is commonly used in automotive applications and will easily withstand engine bay temperatures. It bolts into the factory location, accepts the factory gasket and bolts. The brass inserts for the bolts are flanged and designed so they will not pull out or distort the housing if over torqued. The resolution is lower than production units because it takes 2 to 3 days to print and at this point, I just need functional samples.

Here is the MAF installed in my 944 NA, note the correct moisture-sealed connector that properly adapts the factory harness to the MAF sensor.

have you considered making your housing look like the AFM? Some of the extra space could be used to hide the adapter pigtail connector. Just wondering because I love that sneaky sleeper stuff.
Old Today, 12:55 AM
Knucklebuster
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feature suggestion

@Ftech9 Would it be possible to add a controller for electric wastegate solenoid/boost controller? Could it be programmable with the OBD+ software? Would be a cool feature to have integrated and not have to have a bunch of extra boxes cluttered up on the dash.
And also I think you should print a MAF housing that looks like the old AFM, sneaky hot rod stuff is cool.

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)