Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 03:05 PM
La007
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! I just purchased a SPORT model DME from you, when do you expect the OBD board to be available to market?

Thanks,
Landon
Old 04-25-2020, 02:55 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts

Dear FTech 9: OK, I've read through your thread for about the 3 times already. I have an early(83) 944 with a functioning DME(rare)..What do I need to do to incorporate your upgrades to my car? What do I need to purchase besides the electronic DME relay..(still on the to-do-list). I would like it to be a smoother running more reliable car with some sort of readout on a laptop..which I believe your upgrades will accomplish for me. This is a daily driver/cruiser..nothing exotic or a racing car requirements...Where do I go next? Do I purchase this equipment from you, or do I need to go through a specified dealer? Sign me very interested. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Devia (05-16-2021)
Old 04-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by La007
Looks great! I just purchased a SPORT model DME from you, when do you expect the OBD board to be available to market?

Thanks,
Landon
At this point a mid-year release of the OBDModule Upgrade looks achievable. I am working on the ability to field update the firmware in the OBD Module now. This is a key ability so no one will need send their DME back for feature enhancement and bug fixes. You will just need to download the latest FocusOBD application from my website and it will update the OBDModule automatically if needed. Once this feature is done I just need to finalize the electronics and ramp up for production.
The following users liked this post:
La007 (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 09:59 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Dear FTech 9: OK, I've read through your thread for about the 3 times already. I have an early(83) 944 with a functioning DME(rare)..What do I need to do to incorporate your upgrades to my car? What do I need to purchase besides the electronic DME relay..(still on the to-do-list). I would like it to be a smoother running more reliable car with some sort of readout on a laptop..which I believe your upgrades will accomplish for me. This is a daily driver/cruiser..nothing exotic or a racing car requirements...Where do I go next? Do I purchase this equipment from you, or do I need to go through a specified dealer? Sign me very interested. Thanks.
Upgrading an early 944 (1982 to 1985) to a SPORT DME requires two things. First, the early style DME (Motronic ML2.x) cannot be used as a core. You would need a late model DME core from a 1985.5 to 1988 944 (8-Valve engine) or any 944 Turbo. They are generally available on Ebay or I offer a refundable core charge if you prefer that option. Second, you will need a late model AFM (0 280 202 084) or upgrade to a MAF kit. I do not have distributers at this time, so placing an order on my website is the only option for my products.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:19 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts

Dear Ftech9 Thanks for the info...I will start on collecting the parts..Good luck on your projects!
Old 05-03-2020, 11:57 AM
NYFlapjack2
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subscribed - watching want!

Wished I saw this thread before.....spring...
I guess I need to spend more time on RENNLIST!

1987NA Base 8V - 5spd, 116k miles, Runs great - except intermittent stumble, sometime stalls- random at idle only, least issue with ICV diagnosis jumper in but not perfect.
Would love opportunity to use my OBDII scan abilities, say nothing of discounting the old DME possible ICV DME electronic issue or all other little (cold solder?) new with SPORT..
To keep from long thread - grounds cleaned & added more, 02/RPM/Ref & bracket set sensors, intake gaskets, FPR, injectors rebuild, ICV, all hoses done, it helped a lot as IVC hose under manifold was split wide open. Only a very random idle, like 1 misfire and dead or a gulf and keeps idling like its teasing me wants to keep me on my toes at stop light Yet 75% of them not an issue.

Am I correct in the current SPORT DME does NOT off me a ability to troubleshoot this, PC Laptop or otherwise?
Then a OBDII equipped SPORT DME could find say random misfire, which plug, sensor could be the cause?
Old 05-27-2020, 05:57 PM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Joe does the Sport DME allow you to run any impedance injector you want like the older DME you sold did?
I have one of your older DME's and it allows me to run Saab injectors in my NA.
I just picked up a Turbo and as you know they run a real funky Impedance injector which makes finding replacements hard does the injector drive allow you to change injectors?

Old 05-30-2020, 05:34 PM
tchudy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome...I'd like to make a purchase when you release the updated DME. Was wondering if you could answer a question I have about my Rogue DME and a late Lindsey M-Tune chip. I can't get the car to run with this combo. No spark...nothing. Are they compatible? Pic of my DME and chip attached. Thanks.

I think I have the chip in the correct orientation. Also using the on board MAP sensor plug.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:28 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Update #5 To OBD Project

Well its been a while, time to bring everyone up to date on the OBD Upgrade Module project. Optimistically, I would have liked to release it at the end of last month, but obviously that didn’t happen. Basically, I wasn’t willing to compromise on features and had to rework the electronics to get what I wanted. It was a bit more challenging than I originally expected, but I think the result is worth it.

On a side note, I am proud to announce that Focus 9 Technology, LLC is now an official vendor on Rennlist. I very much appreciate the Porsche community here and felt it was time to make things official.

So much to talk about on this update, here are the highlights:

Automatic USB Interface Management

The Software automatically manages the OBD interface when it is connected through USB. Just connect or disconnect the USB cable and the FocusOBD application handles everything else automatically. You do not need to mess with COM ports, baud rates or anything like that. There are two indicators “USB” and “OBD” in the status bar on the bottom of the Focus OBD application that change color. The USB indicator shows when the USB interface (communication channel) is open. And the OBD indicator shows you are actively communicating with the OBD Module through USB. The indicators can be red for “disconnected” or green for “connected”. The OBD indicator has a third status yellow which means the firmware is out of date and needs to be upgraded. Sensors will start reading out immediately when the ignition is switched to the “on” position.

Field Firmware Update

You will be able to download the latest FocusOBD application from the website. When the application connects to the OBD Module, it will check its current firmware version. If it needs to be updated, you will be prompted. Just click the update button and around 30 seconds later you are fully up to date.

Wide-Band O2 Support (WBO2)

I integrated an AEM WBO2 via its analog signal output. I also put in the hardware to readout the serial data line as an option, but it is not implemented in software quite yet. I expect to be able to support any WB02 controller with a 0-5V analog output or serial (RS232) output. I just need to dig out the different equations from all the manufacturers you guys are using. Eventually, you will be able to select your specific WBO2 controller from system settings. AEM also has a controller without the gauge, I will be switching to this type for both of my 944 and 951 once I come out with my own digital gauge set.

Barometric Air Pressure Sensor (BAP)

At first you may wonder why I mounted a stand-alone BAP sensor to the OBD module, there are actually three main reasons. First, the GM style MAP sensors used by some performance chips and MAF kits are actually “Absolute” pressure sensors just like a BAP sensor. When you read out something like boost pressure, they do not automatically correct for your current altitude. Note, the barometric air pressure where I am in Arizona is about 14.1 psi (28.7 hg-in, or 3.38kPa). With a BAP sensor, I can feed the ambient pressure into the MAP sensor calculation to insure you see an accurate “relative” manifold pressure measurement. I have not yet implemented this, but when I do you will always see 0 for MAP pressure with the key on but engine off regardless of your altitude. As apposed to using a fixed value, which creates an offset pressure measurement unless you happen to be at the altitude that was hard coded. Second, to calculate mass air flow from the AFM with high accuracy or to verify a MAF sensor is reading dead on, you need to know the current barometric pressure. This is not extremely necessary for fuel management, the 944 only has an “Altimeter” which is nothing more that a simple “switch” that flips when a specific altitude is reached. Reading Intake Air temperature is really the critical measurement only second to metering accurate air flow. But by combining airflow, air temperature and barometric pressure, now you have all the relevant data for a very accurate mass airflow calculation. And Third, barometric pressure converts pretty well to altitude which is kind of nice to have in general.

Ignition Coil Controller

I did add some circuitry to dynamically trim the ignition coil dwell time (charge time) to support faster charging ignition coils. This is possible because I will be able to measure the crank angle when the DME program starts to charge then fire the ignition. Like a lot of features at this point, it is not yet implemented in software, but the electronics are there for when I get around to it.

External Connectors

It turned out that I was short two analog inputs if I wanted to read every input as fast as possible and also keep two other awesome features like virtual FQS adjustment. Sure, I could have multiplexed one or more analog inputs, but that would mean adding another chip and changes to the OBD Module Firmware. Instead, I upgraded the microcontroller to a much higher pin count which gave me the two analog inputs I needed. I used these two analog inputs to add a total of 5 external connectors: Expansion(EXP), WB02, Auxiliary(AUX), MAP and Digital.

Expansion (EXP)

This is a general-purpose high-speed data interface with power and extra digital IO. It's intended for upgrades like Bluetooth and a “GPIO Extender”. I envision the GPIO extender to bring “body” type sensors and actuators like fuel level, fan control and vehicle speed plus additional connectivity like a touchscreen display or a CAN bus.

WBO2

This connector has everything you need to fully connect and power a WBO2 sensor/controller. You do not need to source switched ignition voltage from somewhere in your 944, and the power pin has a self-resetting fuse connected to it. However, it is mainly there to protect the DME and not necessary the WBO2 controller. You should use an inline fuse as your WBO2 controller manufacturer recommends.

Auxiliary (AUX)

This is a general purpose external connector for a 0-5V analog sensor that requires 5V or Battery Voltage to power them (both are supplied on the connector). I was originally thinking about a Flex-Fuel type sensor for ethanol fuel content, but it can also be used for other sensors such as fuel pressure. I will eventually have some presets for specific sensors, but I want to keep it kind of generic for whatever might come up. The electronics for this one are there and the firmware will read out the sensor voltage. However, the FocusOBD application hasn’t implemented this yet.

MAP

This is much like the MAP sensor input on the Rogue Tuning DMEs, except on a different style connector. It is connected directly to ADV28 just as Rogue Tuning and others expect. Unless otherwise specified, by default I will disconnect this input from pin 28 of the system connector and assume you will be using this connector. I have this implemented now using the common GM style 3bar MAP sensor. However, I will likely support 1bar and 2bar sensors in the future.

Digital

This is a connector I added recently mainly because I have a huge microcontroller with lots of extra pins I am not using. My hope is to use this connector for a solid-state ignition setup. It, in theory, will support wasted-spark or sequential ignition. Sequential ignition will require some kind of CAM sensor which it has a digital IO for. But to make this work it will require an external ignition controller box, which I will need to engineer. For now, it is nothing more than some digital IO and a ground pin, but I am optimistic for the future.

Demo Video
The video below is of the latest OBDModule and Focus OBD application on my 1985.5 944 NA. Note the MAP, WB02 and USB connectors out the back of the SPORT DME’s OBD Module. This video mainly demonstrates the WBO2 gauge from AEM is tracking the OBD application accurately. I think AEM might be cheating a bit, they display values on the gauge before they are valid on the analog side and don’t seem to be giving a signal at the extreme lean range. I don’t think this is really a problem, but I will take some measurements and reach out to AEM with questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g47...ature=youtu.be

Additional Pictures:

New SPORT DME Labeling for OBD+ Module

Modified rear of enclosure lid for USB and optional external connectors.

Optional connector extensions so sensors can be connected without removing the enclosure lid.

Updated OBD Module on SPORT DME. Note: red wires will not be on production release.

External connections shown with optional connector extenders for MAP and WBO2. Note: Red wires will not be on production release.

Release Plan
Once I have high confidence in the electronics, I will sell a few units for Beta testing to select current SPORT DME customers. If everything goes well, I will ramp up production and offer upgrade services to all existing SPORT DME owners first. Then it will become available as an option on new SPORT DME orders. Once the basic design is solid for the SPORT DME, I will need to create variants of the OBD Module to support older Standard and Rogue Tuning DME’s.

Last edited by Ftech9; 08-14-2020 at 07:38 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Ftech9:
coonabarabran (09-29-2020), Dan Martinic (08-14-2020), darek_u (08-15-2020), J1NX3D (08-14-2020), Jay Wellwood (08-15-2020), Tiger03447 (08-14-2020), ZRDeuce (08-15-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2020, 05:03 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Update #6 To OBD Project

The FocusOBD application software is now available as a free download on the website!

I believe we are now on the edge of a Beta launch early next month. I encourage anyone interested in supporting this project to download the software and provide feedback of the experience to support@ftech9.com with the subject line “FocusOBD Beta”. I have tested it extensively on the Windows computers I have available to me, but that does not necessary mean everything will go smoothly on other computers. When installed, please let me know if on the "About" tab and under the “Drivers” section you see version “2.12.28.0” for both USB Bus and USB Port Drivers.

DOWNLOAD & INSTALL

Since this is a brand-new program, it is unknown to Microsoft. I have submitted an application to get on their approved list, but until then Microsoft Edge and SmartScreen are going to complain about downloading and executing the installer. This is especially true of the Edge Browser, so I recommend you use Chrome or Firefox.

1. Navigate to Ftech9.com

2. Click “FocusOBD Software”

3. Click THE “DOWNLOAD NOW!” button

Chrome

A. When Downloaded, click the “FocusOBD-v0.1.74....msi” tile

Firefox

A. Click “Save File”

B. When Downloaded, click the ‘downloads’ button then click the “FocusOBD-v0.1.74.msi” tile

C. When asked to open the executable, click “Ok”

Edge Browser

A. When downloaded, click the “…” then select “Keep”

B. When the dialog “This app might harm your device” click “Show more” then click “Keep anyway”

C. Click “Show in folder”

D. Double-Click “FocusOBD-v0.1.74.msi”

4. The dialog “Windows protected you PC” will appear

5. Click “More info

6. Click “Run anyway”

7. The “FocusOBD Setup” dialog will appear

8. Click “Next”

9. Read and accept the license agreement then click “Next”

10. Click “Typical”

11. Click “Install”

12. UAC dialog will appear, click “Yes”

13. A “Device Driver Installation Wizard” may appear to install OBD+ Module Drivers. Click next then click Finish

14. All done: the FocusOBD Application will appear!

INSTALL NOTES

There is one more download on the website for “Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) - v12.0.30501”, but this is optional at this point. It is necessary only if the FocusOBD application needs to update the OBD+ Module firmware. When that time comes, please install this specific version of it, there are issues with other versions that prevent the necessary DLL to be installed in the correct place.

FocusOBD v0.1.73

Currently there are two tabs you can click on “Grid” and “About”. I have been spending all my effort on implementing sensors and basic functionality, so the GUI has not gotten a lot of attention. Once all the sensors are implemented, I will add a number of new tabs such as Gauges, Graphs, Settings. There will also likely be special tabs for specific tests and calibrations such as Flywheel Sensors, Idle Speed (ICV) and NBO2.

Grid

This tab shows all the currently implemented sensors. Many more are coming, but this is what is working at the moment.

About

This tab shows the version numbers for the FocusOBD software, OBD Driver Version and OBD+ module Firmware Version.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Ftech9; 09-30-2020 at 05:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ftech9:
fejjj (10-01-2020), riouxc (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 03:03 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed on my laptop Windows 7. Note that you need .NET latest on it...

Here is my laptop spec :

Drivers and software looks OK. Will let it run with other software...

Old 10-02-2020, 12:05 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Absolutely excellent. I'm happy to send my F9T DME to you as a beta to be installed in the spring, if that timeline is acceptable for feedback purposes. Either way, I want to upgrade.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:01 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by riouxc
Installed on my laptop Windows 7. Note that you need .NET latest on it...

Here is my laptop spec :

Drivers and software looks OK. Will let it run with other software...

Thanks for the pointer on .NET 4.8, I had thought the installer would automatically link to the .NET installer, but apparently that was wishful thinking. I added a link to the Microsoft .NET 4.8 installer on the website.

I also see from your "About" tab screenshot that the OBD installer packages where not preloaded. When you installed, did you see the "Device Driver Installation Wizard" dialog appear?

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Perry 951
Absolutely excellent. I'm happy to send my F9T DME to you as a beta to be installed in the spring, if that timeline is acceptable for feedback purposes. Either way, I want to upgrade.
Hi Perry,

I am working towards a Beta launch next week, I have a limited number of modules available right now. However, I will hold a few in reserve for anyone I promised one to. In any case, if the Beta launch goes well I can have more within a week or two.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:27 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question USB drivers

Originally Posted by Ftech9
Thanks for the pointer on .NET 4.8, I had thought the installer would automatically link to the .NET installer, but apparently that was wishful thinking. I added a link to the Microsoft .NET 4.8 installer on the website.

I also see from your "About" tab screenshot that the OBD installer packages where not preloaded. When you installed, did you see the "Device Driver Installation Wizard" dialog appear?

Thanks for your help!
Ya, I reinstalled and ran it with administrator rights. It's always asking to install the USB drivers and don't show up in the "About" tab.

Looks like it does not install it... I'm not a Windows guru.. I'm a Unix/Linux guru...

Charles,

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)