Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 01:41 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 386 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by zoom944T
Autometer wbo2 schematic lists a "signal input (+)" - would that correspond to the orange analog signal input?
and "signal input (-) correspond to brown analog signal ground ?

also does the wbo2 connect on ecu just perform diagnostic/data logging functions or does it actually perform engine management functions?

What is the model number for the Autometer WBO2 you are trying to connect? I need to look over it’s manual to verify the connections and verify it is compatible.

The WBO2 support is for diagnostics/tuning only, at least for now. Once I get into the fuel management part of engine tuning I might use it for an auto tuning feature.

Joe
Old 12-29-2023, 02:04 PM
zoom944T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks like model # is 2650-1828-77.
thanks, Joe.
ac
Old 01-01-2024, 12:51 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

looks like model # is 2650-1828-77.
thanks, Joe.
ac
The connections for your AutoMeter 2650-1828-77 are below:

AutoMeter -> OBD+ (WBO2 Pigtail)
Red -> Yellow (Switched Ignition Voltage)
Black -> Black (Ground)
Blue -> Orange (Analog Signal)

This Autometer WBO2 does not implemented a "clean" ground, so leave the OBD+ WBO2 brown wire unconnected.

Unfortunately, Autometer did not standardize the formula to map voltage to AFR, nor did they provide the formula for Lambda. Because of this, the AutoMeter WBO2 I current support is not compatible with 2650-1828-77. I will add support for this WOB2 gauge to the FocusOBD software, it should be done before the week is out.

-Joe

Old 01-01-2024, 01:05 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Hi Joe,
Checking in for 2024: is this the year where the FTech9 944 NA DME with MAF is available with the capability of real time adjustments of F/A on the chassis Dyno?
Thank you,
Tom
Old 01-01-2024, 01:59 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Hi Joe,
Checking in for 2024: is this the year where the FTech9 944 NA DME with MAF is available with the capability of real time adjustments of F/A on the chassis Dyno?
Thank you,
Tom
Wrapping up MAF and development on real-time engine tuning is main focus for this year. I currently have five MAF beta testers, but things are moving slowly for various reasons. I hope these issues will be resolved before the month is out so I can launch OBD+ MAF for the 944 NA. Unfortunately, due to an oversite on my part, I am not able to use the OBD+ Modules internal flash memory to update calibration tables in real time. I am working on adding an external EEPROM connected to the OBD+ modules "Expansion" port for this purpose. Some kind of addon board for the fuel management side of tuning was always gong to be necessary, so this memory will likely be integrated with it. I anticipate having the time to work on engine management features will happen some time in the second quarter of this year.

Regards,

Joe

Last edited by Ftech9; 01-01-2024 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:30 AM
zoom944T
Advanced

Thanks, Joe. That is a big help.
ac
Old 01-04-2024, 08:31 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hi Everyone!

A new FocusOBD update (v1.7.369) is now available to download on the website, this time around I added new virtual NBO2 gauge.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:25 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ftech9
The connections for your AutoMeter 2650-1828-77 are below:

AutoMeter -> OBD+ (WBO2 Pigtail)
Red -> Yellow (Switched Ignition Voltage)
Black -> Black (Ground)
Blue -> Orange (Analog Signal)

This Autometer WBO2 does not implemented a "clean" ground, so leave the OBD+ WBO2 brown wire unconnected.

Unfortunately, Autometer did not standardize the formula to map voltage to AFR, nor did they provide the formula for Lambda. Because of this, the AutoMeter WBO2 I current support is not compatible with 2650-1828-77. I will add support for this WOB2 gauge to the FocusOBD software, it should be done before the week is out.

-Joe
FocusOBD v1.8.371 is now available on the website with support for Autometer 2650-1828-77. Try it out and let me know if everything looks good.

-Joe
Old 01-06-2024, 11:08 AM
zoom944T
Advanced

will do. note that I am getting a consistent reading of 171 flywheel rpm errors (flywheel mark sensor reading 0 errors). Car is idling well and I have adjusted FQS to position 5 to get WBO2 at essentially lambda .98 to 1.03 (read from Autometer gauge) Does this indicate a bad rpm sensor? Doesn't seem to effect other engine parameters ??
way cool gauge setup w nbo2 . thanks again for all your help.
ac

Last edited by zoom944T; 01-06-2024 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:56 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

will do. note that I am getting a consistent reading of 171 flywheel rpm errors (flywheel mark sensor reading 0 errors). Car is idling well and I have adjusted FQS to position 5 to get WBO2 at essentially lambda .98 to 1.03 (read from Autometer gauge) Does this indicate a bad rpm sensor? Doesn't seem to effect other engine parameters ??
way cool gauge setup w nbo2 . thanks again for all your help.
ac
Sorry for the late reply.

Can you record a data log with all sensors enabled and email to joe@ftech9.com?

-Joe
Old 01-23-2024, 09:42 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hi Everyone,

An updated FocusOBD (v1.9.374) is now available on the website. This time I added support for GM style “Flex-Fuel” sensors to monitor ethanol % and fuel temperature. This feature was requested by Richard Garcia of Dyno-Comp in Scottsdale Arizona. Hopefully, he will come out with E85 performance tunes for the 944!

Ethanol % and Fuel Temperature Displayed in Data Grid Tab

Selecting Flex-Fuel Sensor from Settings Tab

ACDelco Flex-Fuel Sensor and pigtails

Recommended Parts
• ACDelco 13577429 Flex-Fuel Sensor
• Flex-Fuel Pigtail
• OBD+ Pigtail /w 10k Pullup Resistor *
• 18AWG to 20AWG Automotive Primary Wire
o Orange
o Black
o Red
• Heat-Shrink Tubing
• Rubber Grommets

Connections
OBD+ (AUX Port) -> Flex-Fuel Sensor
• Red (+5V Supply) -> Flex-Fuel (+5V Supply)
• Black (Ground) -> Flex Fuel (Ground)
• Orange (Digital Signal) -> Flex-Fuel (Digital Signal)

Installation
1. Install Flex-Fuel sensor on return fuel line.
2. Wire pigtails from sensor to OBD+ Sport DME
3. Configure FocusOBD Software
a. Click on “Settings” tab.
b. Select “Flex-Fuel (ACDelco 13577429)” from “AUX” dropdown.

* Note: A 10k “pull up” resistor is required between the +5V and signal wires. For convenience, I will soon offer a special pigtail harness on my website with this resistor integrated.
** Note: This feature is supported on r8.x and newer OBD+ modules.
The following users liked this post:
riouxc (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 10:24 AM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Could this be helpfull on 951 ? As we need need premium fuel (octane 94 or more) . But we do have some % of ethanol...

Thanks,
Charles
Old 01-23-2024, 11:16 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by riouxc
Hello,

Could this be helpfull on 951 ? As we need need premium fuel (octane 94 or more) . But we do have some % of ethanol...

Thanks,
Charles
On pump gasoline that specifies some percentage of Ethanol content, they are relying on that ethanol to bump up the octane rating. In the United States, the ethanol content is usually "E10" or 10% Ethanol by volume. If the actual ethanol content out of the pump is less than 10% then you can expect the octane rating to be reduced as well. I am not sure how much you can trust pump gas to be at 10% Ethanol, but hopefully with higher precision than E85 which can range from 52% to 83% and still be considered in specification.

-Joe
Old 01-24-2024, 11:58 AM
Ndban
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
I have been working on a OBD (On Board Diagnostics) upgrade module for my aftermarket engine computers (http://www.ftech9.com/new-products). Now that I am passed the initial planning/proof-of-concept stage I would like to get some feedback from you guys. We are brainstorming here, so feel free to throw out whatever comes to mind. A word of caution, this project will easily go well into next year so brace yourself for the long haul.

First off, I would like to stress that this is an upgrade module that will be compatible with every engine computer (DME) I have ever made past, present, and foreseeable future. This also includes the custom versions I made for Rogue Tuning. The only exception is the NASA 944SPEC DME I just released, unless they expressly approve it in their rules.

Second, this OBD module is independent of whatever chip you are running. You can run a stock chip or custom tunes by Rogue Tuning, Lindsey Racing or whoever. It is a passive system that runs in parallel, and therefore will not directly affect how the DME preforms. It will also will provide an extremely high refresh rates for smooth virtual gages and datalogging.

Apps, Software, and Scan Tool
Rather than create my own app and/or software, I decided the best approach is to support the popular "Elm" instruction set. This means any off-the-shelf diagnostic software that supports Elm will work out of the box. In this scenario, the OBD module is also the scan tool, so you will not have to buy a separate tool. Basically, you will plug in a USB cable or Bluetooth adapter to the back of the DME and connect directly to your PC, tablet, or smartphone. Longer term I will create my own software that is specific for the 944, 924S and 911. This is because OBD2 doesn't map perfectly to everything we would potentially like to read out of our vehicles. I will talk more about this a bit later.

OBD Supported Features
This is where the feature-creep starts…

My first inclination is to throw everything and the kitchen sink at this project. But that could easily add a year or so to the effort. Eventually I will get everything, but I feel rolling out the priority features first is the right approach. And this is where I want to hear from you guys, what are the sensors you are interested in the most? If I am missing something, please call it out.

Internal Sensors
RPM (Engine Speed)
O2SV (Oxygen Sensor Voltage)
IAT (Intake Air Temperature)
ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature)
AFM (Air Flow Meter, mapped as MAF)
Vbatt (Battery/Alternator voltage)
ICV (Idle Control Valve)

External Sensors
These sensors are not on the system connector and therefore must be brought in through an external connector that will be located on the back of the DME. This means you will need to find the sensor wire, tap into it and route it into the DME.

Common Sensors
VSS
O2SV (Oxygen Sensor Voltage, Narrow Band)
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor, 944 Turbo Only)
Fuel tank level

Optional Sensors
WBO2V (Wide-Band Oxygen Sensor Voltage)
MAP (Manifold Pressure Sensor)
Fuel Pressure
Engine oil Temperature
Exhaust Gas Temperature (Up to 4 sensors)
Ethanol fuel percentage

Calculations (Based on one or more above sensors)
Horse Power (Estimated)
Engine Load
0 to 60 Time
0 to 100 Time
Fuel Injection Timing
Engine Fuel Rate
Fuel Mileage Instantaneous
Fuel Mileage Average

General Purpose Pins
I could also add several generic pins that could be programed to do things like turn on an auxiliary fan if the engine coolant gets too hot. There is potential here for nitrous, water injection… You guys tell me what you would like.

Advanced Features (Not supported by OBD2)
Injector pulse Waveform
Ignition Coil Charging Waveform
Reference Sensor Waveform
RPM Sensor Waveform
SD Dard Datalogging (Stand-Alone)
it’s interesting
Old 01-24-2024, 12:18 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ndban
it’s interesting
Wow, that is a blast from the past, it is hard to believe I started OBD+ way back in late 2016! I forgot about bringing in the fuel level, I just added it to the upcoming sensor multiplexer requirements. I have most of the features on that list done, and many more I came up with on the way. By the end of this year, I should be able to check off the rest of them and more.

Just a reminder, anyone can download the lates FocusOBD software from my website and check out what I have been working on all these years.

FocusOBD Download Page
https://www.ftech9.com/focusobd-software

-Joe
The following users liked this post:
riouxc (01-24-2024)

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)