Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 02:41 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 386 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Virtual Guages

Hi everyone!

I just pushed FocusOBD v1.2.253 to the website, this build has a new virtual gauges tab! Only engine RPM in implement at the moment, but I will add more gauges in short order. This is a feature I have been wanting since the beginning, and I am very excited it is now coming together. I could have used a number of off-the-shelf libraries, but I wanted the style to resemble Porsche analog gauges. It took a while to learn how to build gauges from scratch in software, but I think the result was worth it. Once I have enough gauges designed, I will allow you guys to decide which ones are displayed, there size and position. There will also be a feature to "swipe" to different customizable gauge sets in real time. Try it out and let me know what you think...

Last edited by Ftech9; 11-13-2023 at 02:42 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ftech9:
Cyberpunky (11-14-2023), J1NX3D (11-13-2023), riouxc (11-18-2023), spencang (11-13-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 05:00 PM
Vmotion
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
Hi everyone!

I just pushed FocusOBD v1.2.253 to the website, this build has a new virtual gauges tab! Only engine RPM in implement at the moment, but I will add more gauges in short order. This is a feature I have been wanting since the beginning, and I am very excited it is now coming together. I could have used a number of off-the-shelf libraries, but I wanted the style to resemble Porsche analog gauges. It took a while to learn how to build gauges from scratch in software, but I think the result was worth it. Once I have enough gauges designed, I will allow you guys to decide which ones are displayed, there size and position. There will also be a feature to "swipe" to different customizable gauge sets in real time. Try it out and let me know what you think...

Great Work!! Looks Awesome.
Old 11-22-2023, 11:03 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hi Everyone,

I just pushed an update to the FocusOBD software, it now has a new battery voltage virtual gauge:

The following 5 users liked this post by Ftech9:
Rick GT3 (11-25-2023), riouxc (11-23-2023), spencang (11-23-2023), T&T Racing (11-22-2023), Tom Pultz (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 04:34 PM
Bizzclassified
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be awesome is a digital FQS. So you could change the setting via bluetooth. It would be nice to test different settings without tearing into the passengers footwell every time. Perhaps the obd board could bypass the physical switch to allow this?
Old 11-22-2023, 06:03 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bizzclassified
What would be awesome is a digital FQS. So you could change the setting via Bluetooth. It would be nice to test different settings without tearing into the passengers footwell every time. Perhaps the obd board could bypass the physical switch to allow this?
All OBD+ Sport DMEs have the electronics in place to virtualize FQS adjustment. The only reason I have not implemented this feature is due to an oversite where I am not able to save the virtual FQS setting to internal flash memory. I certainly can implement virtual FQS adjustment without too much effort, however the DME would revert back to the mechanical FQS setting when power is removed from the DME. I have thought about designing a small EEPROM board that would connect to the OBD+ modules "Expansion" connector and save the FQS setting. But I was waiting until next year when I start development on a solid-state ignition system and need to save/update the ignition advance and dwell maps in real-time.

The original virtual FQS concept was to allow the mechanical or virtual setting to override each other. For example, if you adjust the virtual FQS, it will automatically override the mechanical FQS setting and vice-versa. Virtual adjustment could be done form the FocusOBD software or from a rocker switch connected to the OBD+ module. I was thinking about using a factory rocker switch installed in an unused location on the center console. I could even take this a step Furter and create a small 7 segment display to show the current setting, possibly even make it fit in a second unused switch location.

Unfortunately, implementing Bluetooth support on the iOS or Android platform is not going to happen for a at least a year or two.

Let me know if you have any input on this feature, I would very much like to know what you have in mind.

- Joe

Last edited by Ftech9; 11-22-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:46 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default FocusOBD Update

Hi Everyone,

I just pushed FocusOBD v1.4.358 to the website, it has a new virtual coolant temperature gauge. You can select Fahrenheit or Celsius from the "settings" tab and the gauge will update automatically.

Last edited by Ftech9; 11-25-2023 at 01:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ftech9:
Rick GT3 (11-25-2023), riouxc (12-04-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 06:53 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey Joe, I sent a couple PMs to you regarding MAF beta testing but I’m not sure if they’re going through, I had a couple issues with emails not sending as well.

On a related note, I was able to purchase one of your DMEs with OBD! I just installed it in my car this week and so far it’s been excellent. The only issue I’m having is that there’s been a couple times when dead cold where it takes 2 key turns for the car to fire, an issue I suspect is a fault of my aging AFM. I’m one of those people a MAF conversion makes a lot of sense for.

If my messages went through, you’ll have some more context and you can reach me via my number I’ve left for you in there!
Old 12-18-2023, 09:14 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jacob AbuKhader
Hey Joe, I sent a couple PMs to you regarding MAF beta testing but I’m not sure if they’re going through, I had a couple issues with emails not sending as well.

On a related note, I was able to purchase one of your DMEs with OBD! I just installed it in my car this week and so far it’s been excellent. The only issue I’m having is that there’s been a couple times when dead cold where it takes 2 key turns for the car to fire, an issue I suspect is a fault of my aging AFM. I’m one of those people a MAF conversion makes a lot of sense for.

If my messages went through, you’ll have some more context and you can reach me via my number I’ve left for you in there!
Hi Jacob,

Sorry I missed you email/post! For your cold start issue, feel free to record a data log and email it to me at joe@ftech9.com, I am happy to take a look and let you know if I see anything out of place.

Regards,

Joe Baumbach

Old 12-18-2023, 09:30 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default FocusOBD Update

Hi Everyone!

A new FocusOBD update (v1.6.367) is now available to download on the website, this time I added new virtual Intake Air Temperature guage.

One diagnostic check I allays do is if the car has been sitting over night, the IAT and ECT temperatures should more or less match. If this is not the case, then you likely have an issue and the sensor that is close to the current ambient temperature will be the good one.

Old 12-18-2023, 12:52 PM
Autobreza
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default DME Sport+

Joe,

My DME Sport+ is installed and working well too.

One issue I experienced was dieseling after key off one one occasion. I sent you the data log so lmk if there is anything of note.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:00 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

The scales on the IAT and ECT seem a bit wierd. For instance, one hashmark between 180 and 220 F apparently is 20 deg, but one hashmark between 220 and 250 is 15 deg. Also the scale on the IAT is an odd 19 deg between hashmarks.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:58 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
The scales on the IAT and ECT seem a bit wierd. For instance, one hashmark between 180 and 220 F apparently is 20 deg, but one hashmark between 220 and 250 is 15 deg. Also the scale on the IAT is an odd 19 deg between hashmarks.
Hi Tom,

VDO had many different ECT gauges over the years, I picked one I liked and modeled mine after it. For the IAT gauge, there is no VDO version for this, so I just came up with a temperature range I felt was useful and implemented it. To be honest, I never considered anyone would have an issue with the tick marks as gauges are generally used for "quick glance" evaluation and the exact value is displayed digitally. If you have suggestions for the ranges and/or tick marks, I am more than happy consider implement it.

Joe

Old 12-27-2023, 04:38 PM
zoom944T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Joe,
Installed OBD Sport + DME and it was a simple and painless install. I purchased the Lindsey MAF kit and am working on its install. Is there a wiring schematic for the 4 wire plug for the WBO2 to connect to the WBO2 harness (Autometer) ?
thanks.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:57 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zoom944T
Hey Joe,
Installed OBD Sport + DME and it was a simple and painless install. I purchased the Lindsey MAF kit and am working on its install. Is there a wiring schematic for the 4 wire plug for the WBO2 to connect to the WBO2 harness (Autometer) ?
thanks.
Below are the connections for the WBO2 6-pin pigtail harness included with your OBD+ Sport DME:

Black -> Ground
Yellow -> +12V (Switched Ignition Voltage)
Orange -> Analog signal input
Brown -> Analog signal ground

- Joe

Old 12-29-2023, 11:49 AM
zoom944T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Autometer wbo2 schematic lists a "signal input (+)" - would that correspond to the orange analog signal input?
and "signal input (-) correspond to brown analog signal ground ?

also does the wbo2 connect on ecu just perform diagnostic/data logging functions or does it actually perform engine management functions?

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)