Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 05:46 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 386 Likes on 146 Posts

So great news, my 951 broke down on the freeway this morning. As luck would have it, I had my OBD+ DME and Surface laptop in the vehicle.
It took just a few minutes to determine what happened and get my 951 back on the road.

I wrote up the experience and posted it here if you want to check it out:
944 Turbo Breakdown! An OBD+ DME Case Study - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

-Joe
Old 01-30-2024, 05:14 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default MAF Update

Hi Everyone,

MAF is slowly getting thought Beta testing, I just had a second Beta tester provide feedback last Friday and expect a third Beta Tester to chime in this week some time. So far the testers are reporting a significant improvement in performance and very good drivability. At this point, I believe just one small problem needs to be resolved and 94 NA MAF will be ready for release pending Beta tester confirmation.

-Joe
The following users liked this post:
spencang (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 06:00 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default 944 Turbo KLR Ignition Advance/Knock Detection

I have a very special update for you 944 Turbo guys!

If you ever wanted to know if your KLR computer was robbing horsepower by retarding ignition advance, now you can! If you have an OBD+ Sport DME with an r8.x or newer OBD+ Module, the new FocusOBD v1.10.387, now available on the website, does just that!

The below parameters where added:

KLR (Ignition Advance)
On the Turbo 944, the DME sends the ignition signal out to the KLR computer which regenerates the signal then sends it directly back the DME's ignition driver. This is done so that if the KLR detects engine knock/detonation it can pull back on the ignition advance and save your engine. The regular "Ignition Advance" is what the DME program intends the ignition advance to be. Whereas the "KLR (Ignition Advance)" is what the ignition advance actually is. This parameter is also very useful to help diagnose a no-start condition caused by the KLR. If while cranking the engine you see the DME's "Ignition Advance" changing but the "KLR (Ignition Advance)" is stuck at 0, then you know you have a bad KLR. Normally, the KLR (Ignition Advance) should match the DME's "Ignition Advance" if everything is normal.

KLR (Ignition Regard)
This is simply the number of degrees of timing the KLR is pulling out of the DME's expected ignition advance. This value should be zero under normal operating conditions..

KLR (Knock Detected)
If the KLR is pulling back on ignition advance, this parameter will show "Yes", otherwise "No".

KLR (Knock Events)
For each time the KLR (Ignition Regard) transitions from 0 to to some degrees of retard, this value increases by one for the current drive cycle.

New KLR Ignition Advance and Knock Detection Parameters

I have high confidence in the KLR (Ignition Advance) and KLR (Ignition Retard) parameters, but the other KLR features are not yet fully tested. I am working on a way to generate an artificial knock signal that will trigger the KLR to pull back on the ignition advance so it can be properly tested. I can wait to see the maximum number of degrees of ignition advance the KLR capable of regarding! This feature is still in Beta, so please download this update and let me know what you think. These parameters are able to be graphed and logged if you come across something interesting.

-Joe

The following 2 users liked this post by Ftech9:
riouxc (02-01-2024), spencang (01-30-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 07:07 AM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question OBD+ Upgrade Module

Hello Joe,

I just saw this on the web site "Limited Time Offer
With purchase of a OBD+ Module, send in an old Rogue Tuning or F9T DME and receive a free upgrade to the latest SPORT DME for free!!! "

And with the latest upgrade (KLR retartd/advance) we need a r8.X of OBD... I'm one of the first beta tester and I guess I have the old version. I also use Rogue tuning (LR version) ..

How do I get this free upgrade ?

Thanks,
Charles
Old 02-01-2024, 12:33 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by riouxc
Hello Joe,

I just saw this on the web site "Limited Time Offer
With purchase of a OBD+ Module, send in an old Rogue Tuning or F9T DME and receive a free upgrade to the latest SPORT DME for free!!! "

And with the latest upgrade (KLR retartd/advance) we need a r8.X of OBD... I'm one of the first beta tester and I guess I have the old version. I also use Rogue tuning (LR version) ..

How do I get this free upgrade ?

Thanks,
Charles

Hi Charles,

Beta testers such as yourself have special standing. In this case, if you send me your OBD+ Sport DME I will upgrade to the latest version at no charge.

-Joe

riouxc (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 01:30 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Talking OBD+ Sport DME upgrade

Originally Posted by Ftech9
Hi Charles,

Beta testers such as yourself have special standing. In this case, if you send me your OBD+ Sport DME I will upgrade to the latest version at no charge.

-Joe
Excellent! Will send ASAP. As my car is in storage for winter.
It's a 1986 951 with LR Super 61 Turbo . The rest is the same #80 injectors, and the sensors that came with the MAF. Same MAP sensor etc.

I have 2 KLRs in case...

Many thanks!
Charles
Old 02-03-2024, 05:50 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Hello Joe,

Please look at your PM.

Charles
Old 02-09-2024, 04:17 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Joe is there anyway to bench test the injector circuit? I tried some high impedance injectors after reading through this thread. The car idled poorly with them but ran fantastic off idle. I replaced them with the stock injectors and the car ran beautifully for about 2 and a half minutes, and then cutout. I ran through all the usual diagnostics and have determined the injectors are not pulsing. If I prime the fuel system and manually pulse the injectors with a 9v battery the car begins to turn over and start.

im trying to determine if I have fried the injector driver by using the high impedance injectors. I thought it shouldn’t have mattered because the 944 already is on a low Z system, meaning the injector driver should if anything been under almost no stress driving the high z injectors.

for what it’s worth I do measure 12v at the rail and with a noidlight connected it doesn’t pulse rather than just dim with the cranking of the engine.

Edit: never mind. It turns out my car failed in the exact same way your turbo did. Even though I measured good resistor readings at the DME, my fiddling with harness at the rail bent the plug in such a way the crumbling wires must have either been shorting or not making proper contact. Thankfully my DME is safe!

knew something was up when reading your other thread, because by coincidence I shot a short video of the OBD up and running for YouTube and in that video both my s/r sensors are listed as errors and the mark sensor is reading zero. Looks like I’ll be replacing both harness plugs.

Last edited by Jacob AbuKhader; 02-09-2024 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:44 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default KLR Knock

Hi Everyone,

I have been thinking up ways of testing the new KLR knock detection/measurement feature for the 944 Turbo. Nothing really interesting was happing with 92 octane gasoline, so I decided to fill up my tank with 87 octane gasoline, which felt incredibly uncomfortable doing. And as you might expect, the KLR had a very strong opinion about the combustion quality of 87 octane gas under boost and pulled back the timing quite a bit in response. Below are two graphs I generated in Excel form the test drive's data logging session. I was accelerating as fast as I could from a rolling start, you can see in the dips of boost pressure where I was switching gears. As the boost pressure ramps up, the KLR stated pulling back on ignition advance, up to 8 degrees! The engine felt much less powerful, but I didn't hear any knocks or pings which means the KLR is very good at its job. You can also see from the log that the KLR is constantly reevaluating how much timing to pull back on, when the boost drops off for a gear change, so does the ignition retard. I am still working on this feature, the Knocking Yes/No and Knock Event Counter are not yet functioning, I will try to get that fixed this week. But so far, it is basically doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing!

Last edited by Ftech9; 02-13-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:22 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Where is r8.x info stamped? In my case I purchased my OBD+ Sport DME board from you in end of April early May 2022.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Ftech9
I have a very special update for you 944 Turbo guys!

If you ever wanted to know if your KLR computer was robbing horsepower by retarding ignition advance, now you can! If you have an OBD+ Sport DME with an r8.x or newer OBD+ Module, the new FocusOBD v1.10.387, now available on the website, does just that!

The below parameters where added:

KLR (Ignition Advance)
On the Turbo 944, the DME sends the ignition signal out to the KLR computer which regenerates the signal then sends it directly back the DME's ignition driver. This is done so that if the KLR detects engine knock/detonation it can pull back on the ignition advance and save your engine. The regular "Ignition Advance" is what the DME program intends the ignition advance to be. Whereas the "KLR (Ignition Advance)" is what the ignition advance actually is. This parameter is also very useful to help diagnose a no-start condition caused by the KLR. If while cranking the engine you see the DME's "Ignition Advance" changing but the "KLR (Ignition Advance)" is stuck at 0, then you know you have a bad KLR. Normally, the KLR (Ignition Advance) should match the DME's "Ignition Advance" if everything is normal.

KLR (Ignition Regard)
This is simply the number of degrees of timing the KLR is pulling out of the DME's expected ignition advance. This value should be zero under normal operating conditions..

KLR (Knock Detected)
If the KLR is pulling back on ignition advance, this parameter will show "Yes", otherwise "No".

KLR (Knock Events)
For each time the KLR (Ignition Regard) transitions from 0 to to some degrees of retard, this value increases by one for the current drive cycle.

New KLR Ignition Advance and Knock Detection Parameters

I have high confidence in the KLR (Ignition Advance) and KLR (Ignition Retard) parameters, but the other KLR features are not yet fully tested. I am working on a way to generate an artificial knock signal that will trigger the KLR to pull back on the ignition advance so it can be properly tested. I can wait to see the maximum number of degrees of ignition advance the KLR capable of regarding! This feature is still in Beta, so please download this update and let me know what you think. These parameters are able to be graphed and logged if you come across something interesting.

-Joe
Old 02-14-2024, 11:48 AM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Where is r8.x info stamped? In my case I purchased my OBD+ Sport DME board from you in end of April early May 2022.

Thanks
For some reason I cannot upload images to Reenlist at the moment, The below link will illustrate where to locate the revision number on you OBD+ Sport DME.

View this post on Instagram

-Joe

Old 02-20-2024, 08:03 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Update on the MAF project,

I recently discovered my 944 NA has three significant vacuum leaks that are preventing me from fixing the idle stability issue. I fixed one of the leaks, but the throttle body and AOS (Air Oil Seperator) are still an issue. I ordered all the parts and seals I need and should time next week to install everything. With any luck, some simple tweaking of the MAF calibration table(s) will resolve this (hopefully) last problem.

-Joe
The following 2 users liked this post by Ftech9:
J1NX3D (03-14-2024), Tiger03447 (03-14-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 10:34 PM
zoom944T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious about the PID Delay slider at bottom of Focus software screen. what is it's function? Currently set at 3. Leave it there?
Old 03-24-2024, 11:08 AM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

I guess this is the frequency that the software lookup data from OBD. In ms... I put mine at N/A (cannot change it, I use the beta version) and the rate is around 3400.

Hope this helps

Charles
Old 03-24-2024, 02:15 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zoom944T
Curious about the PID Delay slider at bottom of Focus software screen. what is it's function? Currently set at 3. Leave it there?
The OBD+ system requests sensor data at a very high rate, typically something like 2000 to 4000 updates per second. Some slower computers cannot keep up with the request/response transactions and start buffering the overflow data. Buffering this data creates a time lag where the date is no longer being displayed in real-time. If at any time you see the buffer percentage above 0%, you should adjust the PID delay until it stays rock-solid at 0%.

Joe

zoom944T (03-27-2024)

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)