Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 05:48 PM
boom10ful
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Joe! Any updates on the MAF progress? What about when a ECU will be available for us S2 owners 😊

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2023, 06:36 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 386 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by boom10ful
Hey Joe! Any updates on the MAF progress? What about when a ECU will be available for us S2 owners 😊

Thanks!
I have been making progress on the MAF project, supporting different units of measurement proved to be more involved than I had originally expected. Once graphing is updated, I should be able to push an Alpha build of the FocusOBD software for everyone to test out. The new airflow sensors parameters for Volume and Density for now only work on the 944 NA. However, there will be some new features I think everyone is going to like.

The Motronic ML4 DME used in the S2 is still on my project backlog. However, my business environment is becoming more complex and several projects I had planned for this and next year are ending up on the backburner. I intend to finish the immediate projects I am working on, but after that I need to focus on some major upgrades to my production capabilities. Once I have more time available for development, I will come up with a new project road map sometime next year.

-Joe

Old 09-10-2023, 06:05 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts
Default 944 computers

Dear Joe, I was looking at your website the other day and noticed 3 different computer setups . I want to know what the differences are between the standard basic computer and the “Sport” model? I know that the last one has the extra module built in. Can that be added to the basic computer as well as the DME “sport” model? TIA.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:21 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Dear Joe, I was looking at your website the other day and noticed 3 different computer setups . I want to know what the differences are between the standard basic computer and the “Sport” model? I know that the last one has the extra module built in. Can that be added to the basic computer as well as the DME “sport” model? TIA.
I think you can answer your questions by re-reading the descriptions on the website. The 944SPEC is for 944 only and cannot be fitted with the OBD+ module. The 944/951 Sport DME can be updated with the OBD+ and works with both NA 944 and turbo models. The Sport DME with OBD+ has everything and works with either the NA 944 or the turbo.
The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (09-10-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 05:20 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Major FocusOBD Update!!!

Hi Everyone!

I just pushed a major update of the FocusOBD software (v1.0.337) to the website. This release has many new features and technically supports the F9T MAF sensor for the 944 NA 8-Valve. However, the “Load MAF Firmware” button is temporarily disabled until two issues are resolved. Please download this Beta software and report any issues/bugs you may encounter. Below is a description of the main updates in this release.

MAF Tab
A new tab for managing the MAF configuration has been added to the software. It is basic for now and only supports loading/unloading firmware for the F9T 944 NA MAF sensor. Note the “Current Mode” status at the top shows what AFS (Air Flow Sensor) mode the OBD+ system is currently set to. This parameter is also duplicated at the top of the Data Grid tab because it is critical to match the correct firmware with your AFM or MAF setup. The below “Airflow Sensor Modes” are currently possible:

“N/A” – This indicates the FocusOBD software does not have an active connection to the OBD+ module and therefore cannot determine what the current AFS mode is.

AFM (Air-Flow Meter)” – This indicates the OBD+ module is in 944 mode, but has not yet determined if the AFM is a Turbo or NA. On startup, the OBD+ module will switch modes depending on the number of flywheel teeth counted.

AFM (944 NA)” – This mode will be set if the OBD+ module has AFM firmware loaded and counts 130 teeth on the starter ring.

AFM (944 Turbo)” – This mode will be set if the OBD+ module has AFM firmware loaded and counts 132 teeth on the starter ring.

MAF (944 NA)” – This mode will be set if the OBD+ module has 944 NA MAF firmware loaded.

Airflow Sensor Parameters
The “Airflow Meter” parameter in previous releases only displayed the AFM signal in terms of volts. This is useful for determining if the AFM is basically functioning, but not much else. The reason for this is the signal is non-linear, which means doubling the voltage does not equate to twice the airflow. With the development of our own MAF technology, I was able to scale the AFM signal in terms of airflow volume (i.e. CFM) and also calculate airflow density (i.e. g/s). Unfortunately, this feature does not yet work for the 911 3.2L or MAF kits, but I hope to implement this in the very near future.

MAP Pressure
There are now two different MAP sensor pressures relative and absolute. Previously, only relative pressure was displayed mainly because it is more intuitive than absolute pressure. For example, when you think about boost pressure at 10psi, this is “relative” to the ambient pressure. Where I live, ambient pressure is about 14psi, so the “absolute” pressure in the intake manifold would be 24psi. Absolute pressure is really all that matters in terms of engine tuning. Also, the formula everyone uses to calculate relative pressure assumes a specific ambient pressure (i.e. altitude). Unless you happen to be at the same altitude, the actual relative pressure (i.e. boost pressure) could be significantly off. I solved this issue by using the onboard BAP (Barometric Pressure) sensor to automatically subtract out the current ambient pressure. So even as you drive up a mountain, the boost pressure stays accurate whether you are at the base or peak. Also, note that the “MAP (Relative)” parameter description changes to “MAP (Boost)” when a 944 Turbo is detected.

Units of Measurement
I have radically expanded the units of measure available:

Throttle Switch
Recently a few 944 Turbo customers have had issues with the throttle switch voltages being way off. The cause of this appears to be the loss of ground at the TS/TPS. Because of this, I have added a new parameter “Throttle Switch (Volts)” to help diagnose this issue.

Altitude Switch
I added the ability to readout the altitude switch status and voltage. The altitude switch itself only has two states: <1000m and >1000m, the DME will read out 5V and 0V respectively. However, in markets where the altitude switch is not equipped, a special coding plug is installed. This coding plug has a resistor that programs a specific voltage, so the DME program knows the altitude switch is not present. Note this is an entirely different coding plug than the one installed in 944/911(3.2L) vehicles for California markets. That coding plug is just a wire that shorts a different connector's terminals together.

DME Reset
I am not sure if this parameter will ultimately be useful, but the only way to find out is to implement it. The factory Bosch DME, as well as my DMEs all have a special “watchdog” circuit. The purpose of this circuit is to reset the microcontroller if the DME program malfunctions. This “test” for a malfunction is related to the ICV (Idel Control Valve) signal. This signal is a constant pulse train that, if active, will continuously reset the watchdog circuit. If the DME program fails to drive the ICV signal, then the watchdog will trigger, and continuously strobe the microcontroller’s reset line until it comes back online. The OBD+ module is simply counting the number of reset strobes in the drive cycle. Normally, you should only see the DME Reset count at exactly 1, which is the initial pulse that takes the microcontroller out of reset. But if this count increments beyond 1, it indicates an issue with the DME and/or DME program. This is one of the critical checks I will make whenever customers send me data logs for evaluation.

Last edited by Ftech9; 10-20-2023 at 05:40 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Ftech9:
J1NX3D (10-23-2023), mwc951 (10-25-2023), riouxc (10-20-2023), spencang (10-20-2023), Tony5 (10-21-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 02:05 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default MAF Beta Testing

We are now officially in MAF Beta testing for the 944 NA 8-Valve!!!

I was able to solve the last few issues with MAF and pushed FocusOBD v1.0.342 to the website. This version has MAF fully enabled, and I am already working with Comeau Racing for the first independent test. However, I need more Beta testers! So please reach out to me if you have a 944 NA /w OBD+ Sport DME and would like to participate.

-Joe
The following 4 users liked this post by Ftech9:
mwc951 (10-25-2023), Tiger03447 (10-26-2023), Tom Pultz (10-25-2023), Tony5 (11-13-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 08:05 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
I was able to solve the last few issues with MAF and pushed FocusOBD v1.0.342 to the website.
I downloaded this version just to check out the layout, etc. I found two very minor spelling/formatting errors:
1) In the Data Grid "MAP (Relitive)" should be "MAP (Relative)"
2) In the graphing dropdowns I would change "Air-Flow (Volts)" to "Airflow (Volts)" to be consistent with the Volume and Density parameters listed, and the same as listed in the Data Grid.

I'm looking forward to feedback from NA beta testers.

Cheers.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:02 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
I downloaded this version just to check out the layout, etc. I found two very minor spelling/formatting errors:
1) In the Data Grid "MAP (Relitive)" should be "MAP (Relative)"
2) In the graphing dropdowns I would change "Air-Flow (Volts)" to "Airflow (Volts)" to be consistent with the Volume and Density parameters listed, and the same as listed in the Data Grid.

I'm looking forward to feedback from NA beta testers.

Cheers.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback, I made the suggested corrections and I pushed FocusOBD v1.0.343 to the website.

- Joe
Tiger03447 (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 01:48 AM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Joe this is really exciting news. I wish I could contribute however I’m still saving up for one of your DMEs for my ‘86. However I am local, with a very small YouTube channel that I can use to put out an announcement to try to spread the word that you’re looking for beta testers who already have one of your DME+OBD products. Just let me know! I don’t want to publish any info without your explicit permission.

If you’d like I can shoot you a PM with my email if you want to provide me a contact link for people to reach out to. If not no worries, I’ll be patiently waiting for the beta results.
Tiger03447 (10-26-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 08:14 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Dave Lindsey finely sent me his 951 MAF kit on loan for development, and it looks fantastic! I plan to fully support Lindsey Racing MAF kits so you can readout airflow and air temperature. But the first thing is first, I need to fix the compatibility issue with the OBD+ flywheel diagnostics. I will post pictures once I get it installed in my 1986 944 Turbo later this week. This is the latest LR MAF kit where they did away with the chipboard, now it just has a normal 28pin EEPROM. I believe there may also be some updates to the program/tuning, I will ask Dave about it when I talk to him next.

Last edited by Ftech9; 10-31-2023 at 08:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ftech9:
Jacob AbuKhader (11-01-2023), riouxc (10-31-2023), Tiger03447 (11-02-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 09:44 PM
zoom944T
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ooh yeah !!!
Old 11-02-2023, 06:10 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Lindsey Raceing MAF kit

Hi Everyone,

I just pushed FocusOBD v1.0.345 to the website, it has the flywheel diagnostics fixed for Lindsey Racing 951 MAF kits!

Also, I installed the Lindsey Racing MAF kit on my 1986 951 and drove it around for a while, all I can say is WOW, super nice upgrade! My 944 Turbo has never run better, it just makes the power come on sooner, smoother plus a hefty boost in horsepower. Installation was straightforward; it took me less than an hour. However, I already had a MAP sensor installed which saved some time. The kit it very complete, however you will need to modify two hoses to connect to the MAF housing. I needed the ability to go back to the stock AFM, so I opted not to modify the 19mm crank case vent hose and picked up a formed hose from NAPA to adapt it (NAPA 11625) for about $20 USD, it is almost perfectly formed for this application. Also, this conversion assumes you are upgrading to a boost controller, there is no provision for the cycling valve's vent hose. You can see my vent hose is just sitting on top of the charging pipe until I determine how best to deal with it. Also, full disclosure, it looks like Lindsey Racing is going to start selling my DME products in the near future.

Below is a picture of the LR MAF kit installed in my 951:

Last edited by Ftech9; 11-02-2023 at 06:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ftech9:
riouxc (11-02-2023), Tom Pultz (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 06:36 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Joe,

Mine is in a upgrade loop for the firmware... Keeps asking for it:

Note that my ECU is not connected to the car... I stored it for winter.

I also have the old LR MAf with the EEPROM on a small board with switches...

Thanks,
Charles

Old 11-02-2023, 06:44 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by riouxc
Hi Joe,

Mine is in a upgrade loop for the firmware... Keeps asking for it:

Note that my ECU is not connected to the car... I stored it for winter.

I also have the old LR MAf with the EEPROM on a small board with switches...

Thanks,
Charles
Hi Charles,

What version of the FocusOBD software is this issue occurring on?

- Joe

Old 11-02-2023, 07:02 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Latest beta 1.0.345

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)