Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 09:18 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 385 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jeyjey
May I be so bold as to suggest KiCad? Version 6 is approaching Altium in sophistication and you can't beat the price.

(Bias disclosure: I'm a contributor to KiCad. But it's open source and completely free, so I gain nothing from its adoption beyond pride.)

I have heard good things about KiCad, I will check it out before I commit to my next ECAD package.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:24 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hi guys,

Since I have been hijacking my own thread for the Solid-State Fan Relay, I thought I would post a picture of the release candidate installed on my 944 NA. This is the "Diagnostics" version of the SS Fan Relay. The green LED is on because the low speed fans have been activated by the fan switch.

Last edited by Ftech9; 05-04-2021 at 10:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jeyjey (05-05-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:29 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
Hi guys,

Since I have been hijacking my own thread for the Solid-State Fan Relay, I thought I would post a picture of the release candidate installed on my 944 NA. This is the "Diagnostic" version of the SS Fan Relay. The green LED is on because the low speed fans have been activated by the fan switch.
Very nice. I'm in for a couple of these when they are released.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:33 PM
four0four
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have heard good things about KiCad, I will check it out before I commit to my next ECAD package.
Absolutely another happy KiCAD user here - Though I can't claim to be a dev, super cool, jeyjey!

Slightly more on topic: Has anyone put any thought toward a speeduino (or whatever - presumably existing code is a good thing) plug-and-play ECU a la Ftech's remake?
jeyjey (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 12:10 PM
jeyjey
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 154 Posts

Fan relay looks awesome!
Old 05-07-2021, 08:49 AM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by whalenlg
Thanks so much!
Hello,
Just want to know if the code was correct.

Thanks,
Charles
Old 05-07-2021, 12:33 PM
whalenlg
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I may not swap in the KLR EPROM for a while since I suspect I have a stock one anyway. I was getting a new stock DME EPROM programmed, so I figured I'd get a fully set burned just in case.
I did find a guy on the internet with the right blank EPROMS and a very reasonable pricing for chip + programming. Will update this thread with his info once I test the resulting DME chip.
riouxc (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 01:53 PM
SC924S
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey FTech, quick question about the OBD+ system on the 944. Is there a direct measurement for vehicle speed? Or is that all handled through the speedo cable?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2021, 02:08 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 130 Posts

Dear Ftech9: I have acquired a late model DME from a guy on E-bay. Condition is unknown..probably not working. I intend to send it to you for overhaul and your amazing board installation. I was thinking about an additional purchase of an Ostrich2.0 to go with the DME..Or, will your new board accept this , or will it even be necessary? Your thoughts, please. Thank you
Old 05-13-2021, 02:58 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SC924S
Hey FTech, quick question about the OBD+ system on the 944. Is there a direct measurement for vehicle speed? Or is that all handled through the speedo cable?

Thanks!
The DME does not have vehicle speed on any 944 or 924. The early 944 only has the speedo cable, but the late model 944 has an electronic speedo via a sensor in the transmission. I intend to create a box that connects to the OBD+ expansion port to bring in the late model 944 VSS signal along with other inputs such fuel level.

- Joe

Old 05-13-2021, 03:38 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Dear Ftech9: I have acquired a late model DME from a guy on E-bay. Condition is unknown..probably not working. I intend to send it to you for overhaul and your amazing board installation. I was thinking about an additional purchase of an Ostrich2.0 to go with the DME..Or, will your new board accept this , or will it even be necessary? Your thoughts, please. Thank you
As long as the 35pin main System Connector and the S100 flywheel sensor chip are reusable, there is no issue sending a non-working DME core. Soon I will not even require the S100 chip because I am working on a replacement circuit. Technically, I have already developed this solution many years ago, I am just updating it and migrating from PIC to a ST microcontroller.

As an interim tuning solution, I will shortly be supporting the free tuning solution via the Ostrich EEPROM Emulator and TunerPro Software that Rogue Tuning brought the 944 community. I have heard some very good things, it looks like a solid DYI setup. However, I do eventually intent to implement my own tuning solution that is fully integrated with OBD+ and the FocusOBD software. But I have a few big features I need to implement before that becomes a reality. My current roadmap is Live Graphs (Nearly Complete), Virtual Gauges, Datalogging then MAF. Once these features are released, I will focus on ignition advance remapping which will also include solid-state ignition support. Naturally, changing the fuel maps would come next, even the so-called 3D maps should not be difficult at this point.

I have already done a lot of the groundwork, but like everything in engineering, once you think your 90% done you can start working on the other 90%.

-Joe

Last edited by Ftech9; 05-13-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Tiger03447 (05-15-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 03:51 PM
riouxc
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

As long as the 35pin main System Connector and the S100 flywheel sensor chip are reusable, there is no issue sending a non-working DME core. Soon I will not even require the S100 chip because I am working on a replacement circuit. Technically, I have already developed this solution many years ago, I am just updating it and migrating from PIC to a ST microcontroller.

As an interim tuning solution, I will shortly be supporting the free tuning solution via the Ostrich EEPROM Emulator and TunerPro Software that Rogue Tuning brought the 944 community. I have heard some very good things, it looks like a solid DYI setup. However, I do eventually intent to implement my own tuning solution that is fully integrated with OBD+ and the FocusOBD software. But I have a few big features I need to implement before that becomes a reality. My current roadmap is Live Graphs (Nearly Complete), Virtual Gauges, Datalogging then MAF. Once these features are released, I will focus on ignition advance remapping which will also include solid-state ignition support. Naturally, changing the fuel maps would come next, even the so-called 3D maps should not be difficult at this point.

I have already done a lot of the groundwork, but like everything in engineering, once you think your 90% done you can start working on the other 90%.

-Joe
Ha! My DIY is based on Murphy's law... When I have a 50/50 chance of good choice, it ends with 90% on the bad 50% chance.

FYI all 944's with Joe's ECU, I do have the OBD with LR MAF (Well, the Rogue stuff) on my 951. I'm using Ostcich 2 and datalogger (the serial to USB adapter) on Tunerpro. It works very well! The issue is that I need 2 software to run in the same time... OBD+ and Tunerpro... Works but I need to flip from one window to the other...

Cheers,
Charles
Old 05-13-2021, 05:10 PM
jeyjey
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 154 Posts

Hi Joe,

My fan relay gave up the ghost this week, but looking at it I realised that non-AC cars (at least in Ireland) have only a single fan and a single-stage temp switch, so your solid state version probably isn't going to work on my car.

Anyway, if you get a chance to check out https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post17428420 I'd love your thoughts....

Cheers,
Jeff.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:02 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jeyjey
Hi Joe,

My fan relay gave up the ghost this week, but looking at it I realised that non-AC cars (at least in Ireland) have only a single fan and a single-stage temp switch, so your solid state version probably isn't going to work on my car.

Anyway, if you get a chance to check out https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post17428420 I'd love your thoughts....

Cheers,
Jeff.
Looking at your pictures, the pinout looks good except I cannot see a label for one of the pins, but I assume it is "V1" to drive the low speed fan circuit. Could you post a picture so I can read all of the terminals?

Two likely related observations that are rather strange is the Temp Fast "TF" pin is missing, and this relay has a 555 timer chip in it. I can only assume that the relay kicks the fan to high speed if it spends too much time on low speed. This breaks the high speed fan compatibility between the two relays, but it should plug in and run the low speed fans normally. In any case, I could create a separate PCB for the single fan cars with this functionality. That's assuming the pins in the central electrics plate are not blocked and allow the relay to fully seat. Otherwise, the unused pins would need to be clipped form the SSR Fan relay.

Do you know for sure if the temp switch in your radiator has two or three pins? If it has three pins and all wires are populated, it is possible the "TF" pin might be wired up to the central electrics plate. If this is the case then the twin fan relay should work just fine, only with different High-Speed Fan operation.

- Joe

Last edited by Ftech9; 05-14-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:30 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

I would be in the same boat as @jeyjey in that I have a non-A/C, single fan 944 too.

My thermo switch only has 2 pins but my fan does also run when my ignition is off for a bit after a hot run.

Last edited by J1NX3D; 05-15-2021 at 04:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 944 OBD Project (On-Board Diagnostics)