Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A better hose clamp for DE/Track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016 | 07:48 AM
CVR_Rally
Rennlist Member

Default A better hose clamp for DE/Track?

Before I start bringing my 87S to DE I want to upgrade the hose clamps. I replaced all hoses when I got it going a couple years ago but I'm safety concerned especially as I already need to address one on a heater hose line. The ones on it now are not stock.

I'm either going to order all OEM style clamps or maybe something nicer of there is something folks suggest. Safety on my mind!

Chris
Old 04-21-2016 | 08:40 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Hey Chris,

In general, loosening of hose clamps has not been an issue with my track car. But it does happen and you are wise to consider this. During the early years of use, I managed to shake loose a variety of things. Memorable moments include the tension rod for the alternator/AC belt, shifter to shift rod connection, drop link for the front sway bar, various suspension nuts, and yes, I had a large radiator coolant hose loosen once. One thing I did which helped a lot was to buy a bunch of metric locking nuts and replace most of the suspension related nuts with these. Ny-locks for non hot locations. Metal locks for hi temp locations. I also mark all the visible torqued fasteners with a paint stick so I can do a quick visual inspection at the end of each track day.

I would recommend that you surf over to www.mcmaster.com and search on hose clamps. Everything you could possibly need there. I personally like the "worm drive clamps with smooth bands for soft hose". I also don't think you can go wrong with OEM and they will come with the correct yellow plating, if you are into that sort of thing.

Also, if you have aluminum lug nuts, I would replace with steel. And get a torque wrench to check them. And a tire pressure gage. Etc. Etc. Nobody said track events were cheap But a hell of a lot of fun
Old 04-21-2016 | 09:53 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

The German worm drive clamp is very good. There are two things that I like about it..The heads of the worm are all the same size, and the edges of the band are rounded so they don't cut into the hose. Plus they are stainless ( I think). All mine on my 10+..out in a field car..have always loosened right up...just my .02 cents. Replacing all mine with the OE clamp.
Old 04-21-2016 | 10:00 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

T-bolt clamps, FTW
Old 04-21-2016 | 10:05 AM
CVR_Rally
Rennlist Member

I love this place for all wealth of information. Thank you guys!

@Harvey I have already replaced the lugs with steel. I bought two sets...one that mimics the original black for daily use and a basic set for the track wheels.

Chris
Old 04-21-2016 | 10:27 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Spencer: do you know where to get the small Voss clamps? Those are the T-bolt variety, but I've only seen them on larger diameter tubes and pipes..like in Freightliner sizes...Thanks.
Old 04-21-2016 | 02:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

hydraulic hose shops usually have them in a variety of sizes, large to small
Old 04-21-2016 | 09:07 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

I'm a fan of Oetiker-style clamps. They can't work loose as there are no moving parts. The downside is that they are one-time use only and are a bit pricey. Also it can be difficult to use them in tight locations where you can't get good access with the clamp tool.
Old 04-21-2016 | 09:16 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I use the standard Oetiker or Norma style worm drive clamps with the smooth band. T-bolt clamps can be a pain because of limited clearance in some areas. If i remember right, Lindsey Racing sells a hose clamp kit that should cover all the sizes you need on your S.
Old 04-21-2016 | 11:04 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

For an NA car, I'd be worried if you exceeded the limits of a stock clamp (or really, anything similar). Your coolant is designed to be at about 1 bar max and vacuum lines would be no more than ~1 bar (vacuum) no matter what altitude you live at.

If you're popping clamps, it's time to look at blown gaskets... Although some clamps definitely look cooler than others
Old 04-22-2016 | 04:11 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SloMo228
I'm a fan of Oetiker-style clamps.
First time I've heard that!

I recently searched around for clamp options as I'm rebuilding an engine. I decided the OE clamps were the best. On another car's oil cooler hoses, I'm using constant torque clamps, which are like the OE clamps but they have special heads which prevent them from loosening.
Old 04-22-2016 | 08:38 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

In some of the history of hose clamps, as an aside..It seems that the band clamp with the bolt, like we use on FI applications, was invented by one of the Marx Brothers..not Groucho, but one of his brothers. The worm gear band clamp was built by Messerschmitt for use on their planes. Our aircraft leaked like sieves all the time until they got their hands on the Messerschmitt clamp. Just my .02 cents.
Old 04-22-2016 | 05:12 PM
CVR_Rally
Rennlist Member

Glad I started this discussion. I have ordered a bunch of OEM clamps from Pelican.

Turns out however the reason I started losing a little coolant was I was started to run hot...turns out the cooling fan relay has died.

Quick Reply: A better hose clamp for DE/Track?