Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Printing 924 & 944 Parts - Development and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:50 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nihil
Right on. If you see some douche in an unwashed black beater `87 NA with phonedials, saratoga top, and minor hail damage, it's probably me.

Just passed a black 944 heading the opposite direction on a drive on some windy county highways yesterday.

I'm guessing it wasn't you, but there's at least one other black 944 tooling around our area...
Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM
nihil
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashman
Just passed a black 944 heading the opposite direction on a drive on some windy county highways yesterday.

I'm guessing it wasn't you, but there's at least one other black 944 tooling around our area...
Nope, not me. I was out, but it was just back and forth to hardware stores. I do applaud this gentlemans taste in cars though.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:46 PM
nihil
Instructor

Previous owner had some ghetto looking mesh screwed into the dash covering the windshield defroster vents, and I finally got around to sorting it out this weekend.

STL large outer eight: 944windshieldvent.stl
STL small inner two: 944windshieldvent-center.stl

Now I just need to do some vinyl repair to deal with the screw holes he put in the dash...

Last edited by nihil; 06-19-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Has anyone thought about printing out a flywheel lock? The geometry seems like a prime candidate for a print if you ask me, provided that plastic is strong enough...
Old 06-30-2017, 02:52 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone thought about printing out a flywheel lock? The geometry seems like a prime candidate for a print if you ask me, provided that plastic is strong enough...
I've thought about it - I have one and could model it up and post the design here.

Not sure about strength though - likely sufficient to get the belts lined up, but I'm not sure it would survive breaking the crank bolt free.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:06 PM
nihil
Instructor

Originally Posted by KVDR
I've thought about it - I have one and could model it up and post the design here.

Not sure about strength though - likely sufficient to get the belts lined up, but I'm not sure it would survive breaking the crank bolt free.
Might be an interesting test of something I used to do with balsa/carbon fiber stuff. Been thinking about applying it to 3D printing but hadn't had a use-case until perhaps this.

I'd carve out narrow channels in light structures and fill them in with a mixture of JBWeld and shredded CF tow, sometimes bulging in spots for drill/tap. I don't think the shredded CF would be necessary for this as weight wouldn't be an issue and you could use a thicker channel of JB, but perhaps a washer or something from the hardware store could be used for the actual engagement of the flywheel, leveraging a supporting internal structure of cured JB, with the printed body providing the rest of the mechanical fit.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:41 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

KVDR, can you print the OEM plastic rear wiper delete plug that goes in the hatch glass?
Old 06-30-2017, 04:11 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
KVDR, can you print the OEM plastic rear wiper delete plug that goes in the hatch glass?
I don't have a design or part to model from, but I am confident that I could print a functional plug. It would take a bit of sanding to achieve the right appearance.

I've been using a new material called ApolloX which is an ASA (Acrylonitrile Styrene Acrylate) polymer - it's similar to ABS but has 10x the UV resistance and is easier to print. It does produce some odors during printing like ABS, so I am keeping a window open to minimize harmful particulates.
http://www.formfutura.com/apollox/

http://rigid.ink/blogs/news/17584506...en-abs-and-asa

I had to print some replacement parts for my printer (Lulzbot Taz5) that were starting to crack. Original parts are ABS. I took the opportunity to beef them up a bit, while also upgrading to the ApolloX material.

While reading up on ASA filament I found this handy website which provides properties for all kinds of plastics.
http://www.makeitfrom.com/material-group/Thermoplastic
Old 06-30-2017, 11:14 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Great work! Hope that the new parts hold up well!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:08 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the tip, i just ordered a roll of that ASA material.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:11 AM
kyle a. w.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an idea that came up in another thread. I'm not sure if anyone has suggested it so forgive me if it has. But the plastic insert for our door handles seem to be NLA. I think you may get some interest from people looking to replace theirs. I know I would be interested.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:42 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Off topic from my 951 track car, but figured I'd ask anyways. I managed to break the throttle on my brush saw, which of course they no longer make. Is there anyone out there that could make a replacement of the attached part? It's about 1.5 inches long. A new saw of this type costs more than a set of track tires, so I'd really like to get one made. I could send the original one.
Thanks,
Buzz,

Husqvarna <br/>Throttle
Old 07-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Hm. On the face of it, it seems like that should be a fairly easily printable part. I wonder how much torque/pressure is put on it though. Looking at where the original failed, I'm not sure how much better a 3D printed part would do. Of course, some plastics do get brittle over the years, so that's maybe what happened with your part there.

Anyway... Back to the original reason for this thread...

Like most every 944 these days, my car doesn't have the original cover over the clutch examination port, so I printed a couple to try out.

The deeper one has better purchase on the friction fit, so I'm going with that one. If anyone wants the STL files for this, they're welcome to them...

3D printed 944 clutch examination port covers.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:18 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

your printer is running terrible.

Here is how my prints look:

Like most every 944 these days, my car doesn't have the original cover over the clutch examination port, so I printed a couple to try out.

The deeper one has better purchase on the friction fit, so I'm going with that one. If anyone wants the STL files for this, they're welcome to them...

[/FONT]3D printed 944 clutch examination port covers.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Yeah. I have it on a very low quality setting so that it'll print faster since the part isn't one that "shows" really.

I can slow it down to print cleaner. Just didn't bother.

Quick Reply: 3D Printing 924 & 944 Parts - Development and Discussion