Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vendors for our cars..... unresponsive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Vendors for our cars..... unresponsive?

I'm not going to name any names, but I've found at least 5 vendors I've tried to communicate with online to be almost, to totally, unresponsive. 1 will answer about 1/4 of my emails, if shortly. 2 never answered at all. 2 more answered once, but never answered replies.

I'm wondering if they just get overwhelmed, and have so many conversations going with so many people that they just lose me in the mix. (That's what I'd like to think) or I wonder if they are just up to their eyeballs in work, and just are not all that really interested in new business, because they simply just don't need it.

Now, I'm talking online. The one I HAVE called was helpful and attentive while I had them on the phone. I'm going to start calling vendors today, because I'm getting ready to drop big $$$ on my rebuild, but I have questions about their products, and they are not answering online. I'm hoping phone calls will work out better. Harder to ignore.

I'm not meaning the "online only" website parts stores. I don't normally need to talk to them, I just order the parts I need and am done with it. Those have all been great, prompt, but I haven't needed any service. The ones I'm having problems getting ahold of are the ones that do machine work type stuff.

Anyone else have this experience? I'm kinda put off by being ignored. I don't want to HAVE to call people to get them to talk to me. I work nights and 2 AM is when ~I~ am doing things, so I like online communication.

So I'll ask this too, anyone had good luck getting shops that do machine type work to respond online, and be helpful and informative online? If so, who? I'm almost not wanting to use the ones that have ignored my communications, I want to do business with someone who WANTS my business, not someone who will just take my business if they HAVE to, if I finally corner them on the phone and MAKE them take my money. (Or only after I've dropped $1k with them online)

Funny thing is, all the ones I'm talking about are well known, and have a very strong online presence. Makes no sense to me to ignore the main avenue of communication for the main community your servicing.

Is it just they are 100% Porsche shops? Are they just too few and too thin to handle the amount of work needed?? I would think not being bothered by the phone, and it taking you away from your work, would be a big PLUS for them. But maybe, by the end of the day, the last thing they want to do is answer emails.....
Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Pick up the phone and call. Establish your rapport that way. It is more personal. Vendors get 100's of emails a day at all hours, sometimes they are getting ready to respond, get distracted by an employee, phone call, or whatever and then totally forget to respond.

Email and texting is great because it is fast and easy, but also easier to get lost in the mix IMHO.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:46 PM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with 951Dreams. What's the point having an email if your clients can't even get an answer from you. I have been trying to buy some part from a vendor for a few month and rarely get an answer. When I do they haven't even read my e-mail.

That said, Lindsey racing is a great vendor, but just give them a call. Them and paragon are the only two places that I've had 100% satisfaction with over the last 5+ years and who I deal with on a regular basis.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:45 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

I like to support the independents but price shop the reasonable dealers for hard parts.

I believe you will find more good information on the boards and the supporting knowledge bases.

I love this guy...http://www.thatvideomagazine.com/new...nny-ten-racing
Old 02-22-2016, 05:52 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

I just called Lindsey today, and talked to Mike for about 30 mins. It was great, I learned a lot and got most of my questions answered. I now have a much better idea where I'm going and what I'm doing. (and he talked me out of things I didn't need, and saved me money I didn't need to spend)

The only problem, with email I can spend an hour working on all the things I want answered, and really spend the time to lay out my questions and make sure I cover everything. On the phone I always forget things I wanted to ask. And that was the case today as well. But I guess I can always call again right??? LOL

I'm planning on using 944Online also, for the kits they have. I've talked to Ian before and find, once you can get them on the phone, they are very helpful and knowledgable as well.

I was just wondering if others had the same experience I had with getting help online. That's my prefered method. I'm thinking the "shop" guys just don't have the time for online as often... they "work" for a living. The straight up part houses are more online oriented.

It kinda puts me off, but you have to do what you have to do, right? And as long as you get good customer service in some form, it's all good in the end I guess. I was just very frustrated when I made this post.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:50 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 155 Posts

I'll agree with you this... In fact, it's not just online orders. Without mentioning their name, I plunked down a fair amount of cash with a very well known vender a couple months ago while on the phone and I felt like I was wasting his time, even a little combative when I asked him a few questions.

As for 944online, Steve is great! Name recognition is a pretty big deal with me and it's nice that he remembers me when I call to place an order. I know they may be a little high on some items but they have adjusted their prices a little during the order conversation. Also, I've never been steered wrong from their advise and every part (so far) has fit perfectly! Ok, I'm off my soap box...
Old 02-22-2016, 11:31 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

-dup-

Last edited by 951Dreams; 02-24-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:32 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

I've talked to Steve on the forum, but he's never picked up the phone when I've called. They are a little steep on individual items, but I LOVE the kits, helps make sure you get EVERYTHING you need.

Steve, Ian, and the guys a Lindsey really know their stuff. Paragon I've heard good things about, but I can't STAND their site . I used to do web-design, and I can't even use it. So I can't say much about them, except their rep is good.

As for the straight up part houses, I've had really good luck with AutohausAZ, price wise and shipping wise they have been great. But I don't think I'd use them for stuff that was questionable. I use them when I know EXACTLY what I want. And if I would need no support if it didn't work, or I couldn't figure it out.

I'll use Lindsey or Ian and Steve for anything I may need help with, or have questions about. And I'll pay a little more to have that support.

But that's just me.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:07 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The problem with e-mails is yes they get 100's a day and I have sent them e-mails in the past only to have them go to their junk mail. One vendor called me up 2 months after my e-mail telling me this. So don't take it personal. If you call them on their work hours they usually answer and are most helpful. If not leave a message, tell them you have $ to burn on your car and I'm possitive they'll call back!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:47 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had amazing luck with my local Porsche dealership. They offer a discount to PCA members that reduces the cost to below whatever the aftermarket parts supplier is, usually by 5-10%. Plus, since they have my VIN(s) on file, they ensure I never order a part that isn't going to fit correctly. The only problem I've run into comes when they can't find the PN in their database but it's been exceptionally rare. But as echoed above, a great relationship starts with a phone call and builds with face time.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:38 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

I emailed J @ RL sponsor products. com asking for assistance in ordering parts for the suspension rebuild. Thousands of dollars being invested.

No return communication so my $s are being spent with other Rennlist sponsors.

Warehouse 33 was great, even got a t-shirt.

Last edited by NCporsche; 02-29-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apropos to this conversation, I just made an order from Only944.com and ended up having multiple back and forth, very helpful conversations with Kyle. His customer service is second to none, and he stocks pieces that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Always a top tier experience, and makes me want to buy one of everything he sells, just to support his unique business supporting our cars. Thanks Kyle!
Old 02-23-2016, 06:02 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
Apropos to this conversation, I just made an order from Only944.com and ended up having multiple back and forth, very helpful conversations with Kyle. His customer service is second to none, and he stocks pieces that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Always a top tier experience, and makes me want to buy one of everything he sells, just to support his unique business supporting our cars. Thanks Kyle!
Many Rennlist sponsors give discounts to members. The small fee to become a member is easily recouped with discounts.

Turning this thread from a service sux thread to a great service thread will benefit everyone.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:14 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

This.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:23 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks NCporsche for the kind words!

Emails sometimes do get buried on busy days, but I try to get to all of them within a few hours and don't be surprised if I answer your email at 3 in the morning. Some of the 996 guys tease me for responding at odd hours. If anybody needs anything or has a questions, shoot me an email or you can call too.

-Jason

Quick Reply: Vendors for our cars..... unresponsive?