Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vendors for our cars..... unresponsive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016 | 03:46 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
While I have never gotten a t-shirt, I definitely appreciated the gourmet jelly beans from Pelican Parts.
Glad you enjoyed them! Thank you for your order.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-24-2016 | 04:29 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Those jelly beans were good. I generally use Pelican for buying general parts. When there's a hiccup (usually I order something and it turns out that it wasn't in stock, happens very infrequently) I get a call the same day from a human and a follow up email. I've emailed vendors like Plyhammer, Dimi, Kyle at Only944, and Classic 9 for example and gotten replies usually in less than a day pretty consistently. Maybe try a more descriptive subject line that implies business and not a "deal with it later" email?

The only time I've had slow responses is with someone who I knew genuinely had a ton on his plate, professionally and in his family life.
Old 02-24-2016 | 04:33 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

I had ordered $300 20mm longer a-arm spindle pins from Jason at pelican parts just to realize they don't work on Charlie a-arms. He took them back and refunded me without any issue. I ordered online for the part. Then all I did was make a call when I relized they wouldn't work (over 2 months later) when I got the parts together for that front end project, Jason made it right for me, but he didn't have too, it was my fault! I've also ordered Koni rear adjustible shocks from Larts and didn't know if they were good because I didn't know which one of mine were good, so Lart's took them back without question, I even posted a thread on it but still was unsure even after I was told they were good. And he paid for shipping the shocks back to him, the shocks were in perfect shape, i only realized it after spending twice as much for one new one. Again my fault. I guess I take into consideration how long it would take me to make any part for my 951(never) vs ordering parts from vendors and waiting up to three months for some parts, or a few days for others depending on the part I wanted. Example: order a MAF trap from LR right now, they are looking for a different fabricator for that custom part with a couple month wait but I still ordered it and will wait, why? Because I don't want to make it, it's a pain in the butt and polyurethane sticks to everything. But if you order a stock part like a engine seal or wheel bearing from most of them you'll have it in a week or less if the part is avalible. These are 30 year old cars. A car manufacture is only required to produce parts for up to ten years after a car/truck has been made. We should be so fortunate that there are as many vendors as we can choose from. I like to buy from all of them when I can just to support them in there sacrifice on choosing to deal with these cars for us.

Last edited by Humboldtgrin; 02-24-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2016 | 05:17 PM
1933beer
Instructor

[QUOTE=. These are 30 year old cars. A car manufacture is only required to produce parts for up to ten years after a car/truck has been made. We should be so fortunate that there are as many vendors as we can choose from. I like to buy from all of them when I can just to support them in there sacrifice on choosing to deal with these cars for us.[/QUOTE]

This is very true. try getting parts for 1965 Rambler.
Old 02-24-2016 | 10:17 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

LARTS Porsche Parts is always my go to vendor for used parts.

He is honest and reliable and stands 100% behind the parts he sells!

http://www.lartsporscheparts.net/
Old 02-24-2016 | 11:02 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

It varies.
I had excellent response from DBCarbon. Never a hitch---and across the Atlantic, at that.
Spoke to Jake Raby's shop. Very responsive. Hope to rebuild my engine with him in '17.
In contrast: I spoke to a…specialty shop in California, only a few hundred miles from my home. Good conversation by phone, with 'send us an email and describe what you need' as the closing.
So, I did. Concise explanation; attached pictures for examples. Weeks passed.
And…nothing. As in some previous posters, this is a project costing thousands of dollars, once done.
Apparently, that is insufficient.

Caveat emptor. It has been ever thus.
Old 02-25-2016 | 02:10 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Normally I'm a very patient guy. But when I'm doing business with someone, I want 100% of their attention. I don't mind waiting my turn behind other customers, I expect them to get 100% while it's their turn. But once it's my turn, I want the same treatment.

I've used 944online, Pelican, AutohausAZ, Auto Atlanta, Rennbay, Summit, Jet, a little random eBay stuff here and there. I've talked to Lindsey Racing. And Ian at 944online. All good experiences.

I had to cancel a big order with Ian, cause new issues popped up with the car that needed to be addressed first, he refunded me no issues. I'll be reordering the kit from him in the next couple of weeks, and I have no second thoughts about them due to my good experience.

I accidentally ordered 2 of the same part from Auto Atlanta, shot them an email and they refunded one, still sent both.

Just did a biggish order with AutohausAZ, they have taken a few days to get the stuff together, but that's OK, I'm in no hurry. My past orders have shipped very quickly.

I'll be boxing up my head and mailing it to Lindsey this week. Mike was great with them, and I'm very happy to give them a big chunk of my money.

It's not like I'm not rewarding good customer service. Lindsey and 944online are going to get 4 figures from me in the next few weeks. Others might have gotten it, but they didn't respond to my questions. So they lose out. If they don't want my money, that's fine, there are those that do.

I've also talked to Jon Milledge, he took some time to explain how his product wouldn't work for what I'm wanting, and even sent me in the right direction if I wanted to do what I was wanting.

Jason at Maniac Racing has also chatted with me. I want to talk to him more one day about maybe buying a whole car from him.

My point is, those that show an interest in having my business, get it. It's fine if someone doesn't answer, or if I get lost in the shuffle, cause there are others that do answer. My business goes to those that show they are interested in customer service, as well as just parts and money changing hands.

I was just trying to figure out if I was the only one having issues getting service for some vendors. Turns out I'm not, others have had issues as well. So I know it's not just me! The good thing is now I know who to use.

I've restored cars for many years, this is my first non-detroit muscle car, and I was a little put off by some lack of interest in customer service I had encountered. I really wondered for a bit of it was a common issue, but my recent experiences have show me it's happening to more than just me, but isn't wide spread. Honestly a lot of it might be too few trying to service too many, like it was pointed out, this is a smallish community.

Based on my experiences in this thread, I'll also try out Jason at Warehouse 33, and Larts. So I've gotten some good leads on good customer service.
Old 02-25-2016 | 02:37 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Perhaps you should alter your standards. Seeing how your the night owl you will have to wake up at your midnight to call a vendor, that's the sacrifice you made when you took your night shift job. The 944/951 comunity is very small! If you think that this is unread from all the vendors your mistaken. Because it such a small comunity that is spread out world wide the specially vendors are usually one to three people per business. If you don't talk to them ever again because of a non returned e-mail or phone call then your car will take a long time to get the parts you will want or need. Patiance is the key to success. Or you can just not talk to anyone who doesn't jump when you tell them too. Your logic seems silly to me. They are human you know. And your not the only 951 owner in the world that has been forgot about or just not noticed by some vendors right away. They are all a busy bunch trying to make deals on products with other companies if not make the item themselves so we have parts for our cars. Unless you want to do that I suggest you give them all a lot more slack. Personally if I were a vendor I'm not sure I would want your $ due to your showing how short tempered your showing yourself to be. No vendor wants to hear a gripe on introduction. I suggest you change your standards, good luck.
While I get your point, I work hard for my money, and I want to see a little of the same from those I give it too.

I worked in customer service for years, I know what good customer service is. I worked hard to give it, and expect it in return. I get the nights thing, I don't expect people to take phone calls from me at 3am. But if you have a business that's almost %100 online, then you should do business online. Aside from just filling orders. If I wanted just face to face, I'd use the local guys. I called around and my local guys don't know Porsche, or not as well as others who just do Porsche. I've got a machine shop that I've used for a lot of stuff through the years, but I'm sending my head to Lindsey, cause they know Porsche. They might catch something my guy would miss, and they know exactly what works best for these heads.

If I lower my standards, then I'm getting lower standard service. I'm never a fan of rewarding that. I have, on occasion, put up with asshats, because either they were the best at what they did, or the only game in town. But that was before the internet. Now you don't have to put up with poor customer service, the world has become my playground. There is a difference between being busy, and having poor service. In fact, if you aren't busy, there maybe a reason for that. Most of the good guys are backed up and busy. I'll wait for good work and good customer service. I'm in no hurry to have stuff done right.
Old 02-25-2016 | 04:03 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Sure hope a sun flare doesn't hit anytime soon, like in 1859. Every electrical device will be destroyed. To include the Internet. Just something to think about. It would get real ugly real quick everywhere! We have it pretty good right now in these times. Makes me think about the saying my dad says when refering to physical pain, "Enjoy it while it last because it won't last forever". But I sure hope it lasts thru my life and the many more to come. And don't lower your standards, alter them, like give them up to three strikes on non communication issues not just one. Many of these vendors are getting old so give them a break, they need time to change out there hearing aid batteries, or find the one they just dropped, and do all that stuff old people do. Heaven forbid a health issue may impair their work. Imagine being a solo specialty business owner and waking to a kidney stone. And having to make orders happen. You just never know. And they may never tell and just work thru the pain and enjoy it while it lasts. Enjoy your playground while it lasts, because it may not last forever.
Old 02-25-2016 | 04:31 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Ugh man, no internet!!! Let me just crawl into a hole and die!!! LOL (I'm only partially kidding)

You're right, around here without the internet, I'd be really screwed! I've called all the local (within 50 miles or so) junk yards... 0 Porsche. Zip, ziltch, nada. Had the same issue with my Legend. It it wasn't for ebay or online part houses, I've have no source aside from the dealer.

BTW, my closest dealer? 135 miles. Welcome to the mid-west. However, Lindsey Racing is just 3.5 hours from me. So that's something right?? LOL

I'm getting to be one of those old farts now myself. I can understand that. I've decided, online parts houses aside, I'll give someone a call before I write them off as a poor vendor. There was one vendor who I couldn't get to respond to me online, but they blew me away when I called. Still haven't responded online, but I know now I can just pick up the phone.

I think I just had a run of bad luck, and from what Mike at Lindsey told me, it's been a busy season this year, many may just be snowed under!
Old 02-26-2016 | 11:22 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Personally if I were a vendor I'm not sure I would want your $ due to your showing how short tempered your showing yourself to be. No vendor wants to hear a gripe on introduction. I suggest you change your standards, good luck.
I didn't reach my position in business by providing mediocrity. I'll not turn around and grant the option to those to whom I give hard-earned money.
There's a difference between expecting competent customer service, and being an a**hat. I've had building subs not show up to review potential jobs, and then respond with "Well, I was like busy, dude…mellow out, 'K?" No, dude; I won't 'mellow out'. I'll simply hire someone with competence, and at least the minimal amount of courtesy.
And so, too automotive vendors. I don't expect a**-kissing. I expect a callback. Nothing I'd not provide in return to anyone else.
Old 02-29-2016 | 02:58 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
Paragon I've heard good things about, but I can't STAND their site . I used to do web-design, and I can't even use it. So I can't say much about them, except their rep is good.
We certainly strive to make the Paragon buying experience as user friendly as possible and we get a good bit of favorable feedback in that regard. Would you mind sharing what issues you have with our site so perhaps we can make changes in the future?

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 02-29-2016 | 04:15 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

be nice to them. all but 3 or 4 are either gone or dead or in some cases, both.
Old 02-29-2016 | 06:27 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
be nice to them. all but 3 or 4 are either gone or dead or in some cases, both.
What happened to FR Wilk? I noticed his site (the944.com) isn't up any more... I hope he's ok.
Old 02-29-2016 | 07:18 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Be nice to the vendors, they may not get back to your email, and you know what? cut them some slack. That half hour they spend on the phone with you is time they can't also spend responding to your lengthy, took 2 hours to write, tome of an email.

Quick Reply: Vendors for our cars..... unresponsive?