Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torsion Tube Re-installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 01:37 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Torsion Tube Re-installation

Im currently in the process of deleting my torsion bar to install coilovers. Ive got racers edge delrin bushings installed but cannot seem to get the torsion tube to clear the hooks on the torque tube. It seems that the whole assembly is tilted towards the rear and cannot align itself properly when i jack up ends of the torsion tube. Ive tried with one side fully connected and now i have both ends unbolted but cannot seem to get the correct angle. Looking for tips on getting it aligned and trying not to dissemble the entire rear end to get the torsion tube installed. Please see attached pics. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images        
Old 11-03-2015, 12:49 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I remember having an issue similar to this. I have solid mounting points and delrin throughout as well and it made it a real challenge to get the tube back in place.

A large part of it depends where you are supporting the assembly when you are lifting it. IIRC, I had to put a jack under each rotor to be able to manipulate it the way I wanted to. I think lifted the tube itself with an ATV jack.

I also know some people have ground those tabs off...
Old 11-03-2015, 01:20 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

See if you (or a helper) can pull backwards on the transmission while trying to raise the torsion assembly up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trans/torque tube assembly were slid slightly forward due to the back of the car being jacked up...the transmission hanger mount is really flexible.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:06 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't recall having this problem when I fitted my Racer's Edge mounts and coilovers, maybe I lucked out. Hope you get it sorted!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-03-2015, 05:48 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your second picture, it shows that the torsion tube housing is too low; the dovetails need to engage between the torsion bar tube and the torque tube housing. You need to get the center of the tube up higher.
Last time I did this, I remember having a heck of a time getting the dovetails up past each other and engaged. I recall a really big pry bar seemed to make it work. As V2_Rocket mentioned, try to pull back on the tranny while raising the torsion bar tube.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:55 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
I remember having an issue similar to this. I have solid mounting points and delrin throughout as well and it made it a real challenge to get the tube back in place.

A large part of it depends where you are supporting the assembly when you are lifting it. IIRC, I had to put a jack under each rotor to be able to manipulate it the way I wanted to. I think lifted the tube itself with an ATV jack.

I also know some people have ground those tabs off...
Im gonna try this and see if it works. Im thinking the rotors / swing arms is keeping the assembly tilted towards the rear causing it not to line up correctly, even if theres no torsion bars installed.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
See if you (or a helper) can pull backwards on the transmission while trying to raise the torsion assembly up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trans/torque tube assembly were slid slightly forward due to the back of the car being jacked up...the transmission hanger mount is really flexible.
Ive tried moving the tranny upward and got so play there but will try and pull trans back, both front and rear are up on jack stands

Originally Posted by jpk
In your second picture, it shows that the torsion tube housing is too low; the dovetails need to engage between the torsion bar tube and the torque tube housing. You need to get the center of the tube up higher.
Last time I did this, I remember having a heck of a time getting the dovetails up past each other and engaged. I recall a really big pry bar seemed to make it work. As V2_Rocket mentioned, try to pull back on the tranny while raising the torsion bar tube.
If all else fails ill just grind down the hooks, lol. Thanks for all your suggestions. Will try and post results.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:15 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Im gonna try this and see if it works. Im thinking the rotors / swing arms is keeping the assembly tilted towards the rear causing it not to line up correctly, even if theres no torsion bars installed.

Ive tried moving the tranny upward and got so play there but will try and pull trans back, both front and rear are up on jack stands

If all else fails ill just grind down the hooks, lol. Thanks for all your suggestions. Will try and post results.
I ground off just the tips on the hooks on the torsion bar carrier and it made life easier.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:10 PM
smz2ride
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut those hooks right off...
Old 11-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

In your first picture there is a bolt slid in where the torsion tube bolts to the car. When we did this a couple months ago we had no success getting the hooks to line up if we slid that bolt in first. There was one other "gotcha" but for the life of me I can't remember now. Should have taken some notes, though we all swore we wouldn't do that again so it didn't matter.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:09 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

I left the carriers loose and she slid right past the safety hooks.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:56 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
I left the carriers loose and she slid right past the safety hooks.
That was the last gotcha!!! you have to leave the carrier bolts loose too.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:29 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Finally got it in and i didnt have to grind off the tabs. I first loosened everything, took out the bolts in the torsion bar covers to the chassis. Placed a floor jack in the center of torsion tube carrier, then proceeded to lower a few inches. I then placed the swing arms / rotors as high up as possible on bricks, then used a scissors jack and plywood to jack up the banana arm up on each side ( scissor jacks ) to get the whole assembly level. Once it was level, I jacked up the center floor jack and everything went in smoothly. Just dont forget the have the upper torsion tube mounts installed, like I did. Thankfully I didnt have to undo the brake lines, but had SS lines and a Promotive bleeder just in case I needed to. Just want to get her back on the road to enjoy like everyone else. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help. -Wayne
Old 11-14-2015, 08:34 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good work - enjoy!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-14-2015, 08:45 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Bolt the solid torsion mounts to the torsion tube assy. Not to the car. Then bring up the assy to the car. You will see it works without issues every time. Since your still using the rubber lower mounts I would recommend a lubricant to help slid it back into place without binding. And yes I see you got it.

Quick Reply: Torsion Tube Re-installation