Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for 944S engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:24 AM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for 944S engine

I'm torn between keeping my S for drifting or trade for a 1980 931 and I want to drift the 944S but the engine is really expensive to replace I seen a guy a couple days ago that had another block but I really need another head I already have another wiring harness dme fuel rail can cover set of cams flywheel and cluth bellhousing ect I just need another cylinder head and block anyone help???????
Old 07-10-2015, 02:32 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Just replace wear items...they've lasted almost 30 years, you'll be fine. If you want to drift, you should be focusing on reinforcing the rest of the car and not just the engine. I don't know the square root of jack s**t about drifting, but you'll need to have your clutch and trans to be up to the job. If you have a 931, the trans will take it....
Old 07-10-2015, 02:32 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dude stop making threads about this, everyone has pretty much already told you what you need to know, which is that a 931 will cost just as much or more to maintain than a 944S and is slower stock, and is much less refined. The 931 is a cool car, I owned one and loved it but I also turn my own wrenches, which if I'm not mistaken is not something you do. Keep the 944S or sell it and buy something you can afford to pay someone else to upkeep. or learn to wrench. No more thread about this please.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:35 AM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
dude stop making threads about this, everyone has pretty much already told you what you need to know, which is that a 931 will cost just as much or more to maintain than a 944S and is slower stock, and is much less refined. The 931 is a cool car, I owned one and loved it but I also turn my own wrenches, which if I'm not mistaken is not something you do. Keep the 944S or sell it and buy something you can afford to pay someone else to upkeep. or learn to wrench. No more thread about this please.
thanks for the rude input I do kno how to wrench I'm new to porches and I'm only 17 but thanks for nothing
Old 07-10-2015, 02:39 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by chanothemekhanik
thanks for the rude input I do kno how to wrench I'm new to porches and I'm only 17 but thanks for nothing
Don't cry in your cheerios buddy, next time you want help and someone gives you a simple answer to your question like I did (after many others have done the same) you should probably think about not being a tool, everyone else here is a big boy.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:42 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by chanothemekhanik
I'm new to porches

But really, read the manual and read what others have posted before you.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:48 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

btw I have a complete, ready to bolt on 16v S head for sale, has cams, lifters, valves, springs, ect and all 8 matching cam caps along with the tensioner and oil feed pipe and the valve cover. It's ready to bolt on as it, but if it were my car I'd replace the pads and chain and be good to go. I have a good block with all matching balance shafts and covers, a good crankshaft, and a set of rods w/pins too. Buy it all, add an oil pan, and build yourself a brand new engine. The only thing you'd need besides gaskets, bearings, ect is 16v pistons, if you couldnt reuse yours for whatever reason.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:52 AM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh you don't wrench bro?

Forget the 931 unless you like the idea of a steep learning curve or a steep mechanics bill..

Not any old mechanic will know anything about a 931, those that don't often do more harm than good, those that do charge for it, or should.. And a 931 head in serviceable condition may be much harder to find than a 944S head but I don't really know squat about the 944S..

Why a Porsche for drifting? I think my E36 BMW was the most forgiving drifter I've ever had, Porsches are for sticking a line not being sideways.

Honestly I don't like the slow steering ratio of my 931 for drifting too much, precision cornering sure, but not for large fast inputs with the intention to disrupt the car..

Why not swap a V8 your 44, that's the kind of engine you want for drifting right?
Old 07-10-2015, 03:09 AM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

btw I have a complete, ready to bolt on 16v S head for sale, has cams, lifters, valves, springs, ect and all 8 matching cam caps along with the tensioner and oil feed pipe and the valve cover. It's ready to bolt on as it, but if it were my car I'd replace the pads and chain and be good to go. I have a good block with all matching balance shafts and covers, a good crankshaft, and a set of rods w/pins too. Buy it all, add an oil pan, and build yourself a brand new engine. The only thing you'd need besides gaskets, bearings, ect is 16v pistons, if you couldnt reuse yours for whatever reason.
how much for the engine
Old 07-10-2015, 03:21 AM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

I already replaced the chain and the pads. I just want a spare motor or at least a head just in case it eats a head while I'm drifting
Old 07-10-2015, 03:34 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

You want everything? head + block + crank + set of rods? it's a complete S long block minus the pistons and oil pan.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:41 AM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

You want everything? head + block + crank + set of rods? it's a complete S long block minus the pistons and oil pan.
yea how much would that be and how much would it be for the head alone
Old 07-10-2015, 10:23 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

ive got S pistons and another set of rods, and an S block...chanothemekhanik, if you buy Doug's parts, I'll give you a discount for buying my parts too.

everybody wins.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:13 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How is a new long block going to fix a vacuum leak, power steering, and headlights? You don't have enough money to maintain your S but you have enough to buy a spare engine? Have you considered the cost of gaskets belts and rollers etc. for this new engine? You aren't going to reuse your old seals are you? Down time? Just playing devils advocate so don't get your panties in a bunch.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:22 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep a fresh belt on the car and you won't munch a head, especially if you already did the cam chain/pads. My S lived at redline for 2 years with me and continues to do so with its new owner as a DE car. You don't need a spare engine, you need to fix your existing issues. The motor is stout, replace the rod bearings if you haven't already.

Quick Reply: Looking for 944S engine