Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here I go again (garage break in)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 09:32 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here I go again (garage break in)

My garage was broken into today again last time was 12/20/02. Since the last break in happen I don't leave any tools in the garage anymore, so they smashed the little rear window on the passenger side of the car to get what they could out of there. They broke a trim piece on the top/side of the rear hatch I have no idea what they were trying to do there. They messed up the surround of the center console took my AVC-R controller (that will do them a lot of good ) ripped the gauge pod off with my A/F gauge and boost gauge and took my fire extinguisher. Who knows what else they took that I won't think of until after the claim is done. I was dropped by my home owners insurance after the last claim now this with my car insurance!

I AM SO PISSED I DON"T KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO!!!!!

I think about getting rid of the car because I can't have **** without people messing with it but I have so much into the car that I will loose a ton of money. My thoughts on the car was that I wanted to keep it forever but I don't know now.

Tom
Lost and confused and mad at the world!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Tom... move. What do you do when you park your next car in there and it happens again? Not to mention your homeowners was dropped... I hope someone else picked you up. No insurance is not a good feeling.

Someone knows how to get in there, so your options are to create a safe style door and walls, install a serious security system with cameras, or get the hell out of there.

I wish you the best and hopefully your car insurance will take care of what's missing.

For the short time, a small camera and VCR off e-bay installed in the garage with a 20w light can help if something else were to happen.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:08 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Reading is a **** hole, I agree with Perry...MOVE.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:18 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

baseball bat... get the baseball bat

Chest pounding ... woo woo woo
Old 09-09-2003, 10:36 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

you could always get a dog and at night leave him in the garage
Old 09-09-2003, 10:55 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: Here I go again (garage break in)

Originally posted by tazman
My garage was broken into today again last time was 12/20/02. Since the last break in happen I don't leave any tools in the garage anymore, so they smashed the little rear window on the passenger side of the car to get what they could out of there. They broke a trim piece on the top/side of the rear hatch I have no idea what they were trying to do there. They messed up the surround of the center console took my AVC-R controller (that will do them a lot of good ) ripped the gauge pod off with my A/F gauge and boost gauge and took my fire extinguisher. Who knows what else they took that I won't think of until after the claim is done. I was dropped by my home owners insurance after the last claim now this with my car insurance!

I AM SO PISSED I DON"T KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO!!!!!

I think about getting rid of the car because I can't have **** without people messing with it but I have so much into the car that I will loose a ton of money. My thoughts on the car was that I wanted to keep it forever but I don't know now.

Tom
Lost and confused and mad at the world!
That seriously sucks!
I'd get a motion sensor alarm for the garage and motion sensor lights for the outside...and a gun.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:07 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Hello Tom,

I understand how you must feel right now. Writing this just after my wife's car accident. None got hurt but I am still upset. But back to you, first thing first a calm mind thinks better than upset. Your car is not at fault here. Someone has your garage marked. I suspect whatever car you will replace it they will strike again. Like everyone here telling you need to get away from that location. So calm down, think it through rationally.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:10 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by i am a TRAITOR
you could always get a dog and at night leave him in the garage
A protection dog can be easily by passed by several methods. For obvious reasons I will not enumerate them. Even if the dog was effective the ensuing lawsuit would not be worthwhile.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EZRider-
I dont know who trained your dogs, no one is going to get past mine. AND if they are in my garage, then at least in Texas, I am well within my rights to have the dog attack them or even to kill them. Get yourself a good dog and post signs. I even get rattled when my rot barks!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:31 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I can’t imagine what a low life one would have to be to vandalize someone else’s property.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:45 PM
MartinT
Pro

A colleague of mine back in the UK is a big Subaru Impreza fan - currently has a very limited type RA import...i forget all the details.

But anyway he now has it locked in a garage that is separate from the house. Bars over the windows, alarmed the building (with a very loud siren), motion sensor, motion lights outside, reinforced door, and one of those locable parking posts inside the door, between the car and the door.

Needless to say it now takes him so long to get the car out that he has a brand new Ford that he uses on a daily basis.
All this because someone tried to get the car by going through the front grill - attempting to open the hood and removing the hood scoop.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:01 AM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I know just move that will solve all my problems the only thing to be able to afford to move I would have to sell the car. Yeah that works then I move and get rid of the whole reason for moving. I'm sorry I went over all this stuff in my head so many times it's driving me crazy. Unfortunately the garage is not at my house it is something I rent separately. The car is also not my daily driver for some reason nobody has bothered my awesome Kia Rio that sits outside of my house every day. I guess I will be finding someplace else for the car I don't know where yet. Thanks for the support I had a little to much to drink right now so sorry if this is written poorly.

EZRider I am glad your wife is ok from the accident and I know things could be a lot worse for me but this kind of **** just makes me sick! I know people like Tom R. and others have had worse happen to them I guess I have trouble just letting things go.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Martin, when I lived in the UK the Cosworth RS<s> were being stolen at such a rate that for the number to be accurate they were being stolen from the people who stole them. Explains them as an insurance group 20! I believe car theft to be much higher in the UK than most of the US
Old 09-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about this type of stuff, and moving sounds like a pretty sound idea, but if you do stick around, you can probably nail them. You now know that you can expect them, so installing cameras, or something like an alarm that will wake you up so you can call the cops but they won't hear are probably decent shots.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:45 AM
jp944
Pro

I agree with installing lights and motion detectors. Put several of the big outdoor halogens mounted as high as you can on the garage, and any walls in the 'approach path.' When my big halogens light up, they light up my garage, driveway, alley, neighbors driveway, neighbor's garage, etc.

I asked my neighborhood cops about cameras, and they said I'd have a nice video of someone they couldn't identify stealing my stuff, and the tape would probably just get me more steamed. And it's illegal to set booby traps.

jp

Quick Reply: Here I go again (garage break in)