Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here I go again (garage break in)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 03:03 AM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have cameras that turn on when they sence motion, no need to keep rewinding tapes... but its only good to find out who did it after its already been done. when my car was broken into i was thinking of hiring a private eye, maybe find some fingerprints and run them at the clerks office. but i just said f!@# it all. Im just to lazy i guess. Next time anyone tries any crap i have video and a loud *** alarm on the car as well as the doors on the house and garage. (those were already on the house, dont think im a freak that locks himself up in his house afraid of the world. et. mel gibson - conspiracy theory) hah

i watched this show once were a guys garage kept getting broken into every once in a while, so he talked with his neighbor, and his neighbor recomended video cameras. he installed the cameras and the next day the person broke in but had a mask on... DUH it ended up being the neighbor that told him to get the cameras.... idiots.

I know anyone might be tempted in just the right situation, but people need to buy theyre own stuff instead of having someone else work hard to buy it for them like most of us unfortunately have to do!
Old 09-10-2003, 04:16 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Matt H
EZRider-
I dont know who trained your dogs, no one is going to get past mine. AND if they are in my garage, then at least in Texas, I am well within my rights to have the dog attack them or even to kill them. Get yourself a good dog and post signs. I even get rattled when my rot barks!
Ahh you have it made in Texas. Here in New York State it's not about training. It's about liberal laws which protect the crooks better than the victims. If my dog grabs an intruder I am up the creek in a multi-million lawsuit and he would win! Yea, from what you described last you got one big (150lbs Rottweiler?) scary enforcer there!
Old 09-10-2003, 04:26 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default security

Not that i am like this but i would make it a big deal to fix everything you could on the car out in the open where every one could see you. Then at 2:00 in the morning wire the doors and windows that they coud brake into with 220V and a video camera.

Then send the film into Americas funniest home videos and win back some of the mony the bastards ripped off. Geeze.

If not that a good security system doesnt suck. B/W vide does the trick.

TaboII
Old 09-10-2003, 04:35 PM
GTZ
Instructor

And it's illegal to set booby traps
I know there have been instances where people have set up a booby trap, and even killed the perpatraitor <sp>. As far a s I'm concerned, the fear of something *maybe* being boobytrapped would be a great deterant.

Randy
Old 09-10-2003, 05:01 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EZ, mine is not that big. Someone was saying they knew someone who had. That would be grossly overweight. I am sure I would get sued too. I do have signs on 5 locations that state, "Trained attack dog on site, if you enter you WILL be bitten. If you need to enter the gated area for any reason please contact: XXXXXX at XXXXX" It has a host of legal disclaimer garbage on it as well. It was hell getting the city to allow them. I had to take the dog to the police station and show the commands, etc, etc, etc. Damn shame was that my rot was FAR better trained than their dogs (no offense but they were German Shepherds). There is no better deterrant to crime than a good dog. I love to hear her give a little warning bark when someone gets to close to the fence!
Old 09-10-2003, 05:12 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Matt H
I do have signs on 5 locations that state, "Trained attack dog on site, if you enter you WILL be bitten. It was hell getting the city to allow them. I had to take the dog to the police station and show the commands, etc, etc, etc. Damn shame was that my rot was FAR better trained than their dogs (no offense but they were German Shepherds). There is no better deterrant to crime than a good dog. I love to hear her give a little warning bark when someone gets to close to the fence!
We tried posting beware of dog around my mom's house in Brooklyn. The Home Insurance threatened to drop coverage if we did not remove the signs. So you sort of get the idea how much respect crime receives in one of the most populated urbans. Does not surprise me at all your dog was better trained than the GSD police dogs. Many of the police handlers are not dedicated "dog people". These handlers have less training than their dogs to work in k9.

Hey didn't you read some place in the news about the fraudaulant dog training outfit which was selling bogus trained bomb sniffing dog which couldn't pick up tons of TNT right under their nose? The owner was jailed and ordered to return $700,000 paid for those pets. So much for police expertise in k9.

Ohh found it! here's the URL http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._can_t_sniff_1
Old 09-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Couldnt live with that policy. I called the insurance the legal before we did it. I can board only board her at two places, thankfully one is a VERY good one. She is not trained for drugs or bomb sniffing. A dog that was trained for all the above would be worth about 50K or more. Most police dogs are well handled because the officers they work with are trained, at least here. My rot is a show quality dog but I didnt buy her to prance around some ring. She is a loving pet as well as a great security measure for when I travel and my wife is alone. I know my wife is completely without fear of being alone in the house.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 words: Smith and Wesson

I grew up on a gunrange, loading rounds and sweeping brass. The best detterent to crime is a sign on the door that says in plain language, "This home is protected by a gunowner, who is trained and willing to defend what is his. If you don't like having sucking chest wounds and gaping holes in your cranium, stay the **** out."

Weaver stance, slightly turned sideways, 2 hands controlling the gun. 3 rounds fired, 2 in the chest, one in the head.

No chance of lawsuits or any of that bull****, dead men tell no tales.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Pretty hard to convince a judge of self defense (the most common defense for break ins) if you shoot someone 3 times and all three are perfect hits. Enjoy your sentence! Further, using encitful language (such as the F word) will not win you any friends and in some areas may make you suseptible to local law enforcement. Probably a good deterrant though.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Water944t

Weaver stance, slightly turned sideways, 2 hands controlling the gun. 3 rounds fired, 2 in the chest, one in the head.

No chance of lawsuits or any of that bull****, dead men tell no tales.
Unless he's an immediate threat to your safety, you'll do time (except maybe in Texas).
And a grieving mother talking about how her son was a good boy who fell in with the wrong crowd can get a big settlement out of a jury.

A gun makes a great deterrent though. The homes of gun owners are less likely to even be targeted by a thief.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Techmonkey
Advanced

Can you booby trap with signs legally
Like "touch this car and get 15000 volts or call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX for acess"???
Old 09-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ag951
Unless he's an immediate threat to your safety, you'll do time (except maybe in Texas).
And a grieving mother talking about how her son was a good boy who fell in with the wrong crowd can get a big settlement out of a jury.

A gun makes a great deterrent though. The homes of gun owners are less likely to even be targeted by a thief.
If someone breaks into my home unlawfully, and I percieve them as a threat to my own, or my families safety, then that is one dead intruder, period. One of the first rules of gun safety I ever learned was :" Don't shoot to wound." That 'shoot the gun out of his hand" bull**** is for the movies. I will take my chances at trial, cause it will be my word against his, and he ain't talking.

As far as 3 perfect hits, yes they will be, I have fired probably over 100K rounds of ammunition in my life, not even counting my service time, have shot competitively in both combat course and smallbore, and I hit what I aim at. If a judge wants to penalize me for being competent with a firearm, I will console myself in prison with the thought of my wife and kids being safe from at least one scumbag.

Guns don't kill people, but highly trained individuals with a gun sure as hell can.

I don't recommend using language on the sign that would be an incitement, but it needs to be pretty plain-speak.

As far as greiving mothers goes, let me relate a story from here in Phoenix, from just last year. I met this kid while I was selling Lexus, he is a hero IMHO.

A young kid, maybe 17, was at home alone. He hears a noise from the back of the house, when noone was supposed to be home for hours. He peeks around the corner and sees a couple of guys, masked and wearing all black, with duct tape around their wrists and ankles. Both intruders are armed.

Young man goes to dad's gun cabinet and procures firearm. He then pokes head around corner and yells to intruders, " Hey! Get the hell out of my house, I have a gun!" Intruders proceed to continue into interior of house, apparently intent on doing harm to young man.

Young man puts several rounds of hot lead into first assailant, whereupon second assailant runs for his stupid life. 1st thug dies in pain, with blood gurgling out of large entry/exit wounds. Yay for the home team!

Police come, ascertain what happened, and then give young man a hero's reception. Local newspaper hails youth as hero, blah blah blah. Kid gets absolved of any wrongdoing, since he was just excercising his Constitutional right to defend life and property.

Bottom line, noone likes a thief.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:20 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

EZ Rider, my GSD looks like yours. We have Beware of Dog signs everywhere. At least 5. He's the mobile alarm system as I call it. If there is so much as a bird that turds on our front lawn in the middle of a moonless night, he goes nuts even when hes inside the house. He sees EVERYTHING because its his domain. Sometimes the false alarms get old, but a few times we've seen people approach the property and every time they run, not walk, the other way. We sleep with our doors open all summer.

The morons who go door to door to sell magazines, check the meter etc are the ones who we've had trouble with. At least 2-3 of them have been backed into the flower bed scared sh*tless as the dog hears them and high tails it after them. One woman wet herself. One guy refused to Chemlawn our grass even when the dog wasnt outside. Hes on an invisible fence so who knows where he is on the property so we have signs plastered everywhere where its IMPOSSIBLE to miss. And yet when someone comes on the property I ask them "DIDNT YOU SEE THAT BIG RED SIGN THAT READS BEWARE OF DOG???" Uhh no they say. They are just flat out lieing and risking the loss of a leg.

Anyway, point is, I second the motion for a big dog. Criminals are inherently lazy and do not want to mess around with 100-150lb of teeth. Unless they have a gun and plan on shooting you and the dog, a good 100lb dog will make easy work of a 225lb man planning on stealing your stuff. And if hes with more than one person, chances are high that the other buddies will talk him into trying to break into someone elses house anyway.

You cant throw the tennis ball with your Brinks security system either.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

I remember hearing about that kid. The shooting was deemed self defense because the intruders were armed.
If there's a burglar standing unarmed in your kitchen and you kill him, you'll get prosecuted, if he has a weapon or is moving towards somebody in a threatening manner, it's self defense.
So if you do shoot him, make sure he's armed, or run to the kitchen, grab a butcher knife, and put it in his hand.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA
§ 505. Use of force in self-protection
the defender may use deadly force only if he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to avoid death or serious bodily injury;

One or more guy's holding anything in there hand deems it nessasary to use deadly force.

A. You in your home and cannot retreat to a safe location
B. You have not provoked the situation
C. The peope are Armed.

I simply say buy a .38 (great protection gun) or a 12guage shotgun and invest in buck shot.

next time the come jump outside and if they have anything on them such as a bat or anything else, I say blow the MF'er away............OR just flip on lights yell "move and die" and call the cops if they move then shoot only once..........

Quick Reply: Here I go again (garage break in)