Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peachtree PCA DE at Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:00 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Peachtree PCA DE at Road Atlanta

In checking the roster for the Peachtree Region PCA DE at Road Atlanta next weekend - I'll be in attendance - I see there are 26 944/951/968's registered for the event, including 7 S2's, of which mine is one. That's quite a turnout!

I hope to maybe find someone in one of these cars I can run with for the weekend, to gauge my progress with a similar vehicle. At any rate, it should be fun!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:08 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a handful of the cars that will be there. It should be a good mix! I'll be there on Saturday with the camo 951 to hang out / help out. But probably not going to drive the DE. Been saving up $$ to drive Nelsons Ledges in June. But we'll see what happens.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:18 AM
67King
Race Car

I'm assuming you are the lone red 1990 S2 that is registered. If so, you are Group 2, and the car is irrelevant at that level. It isn't until at least Group 4 that the car has any bearing, whatsoever. If you want to gauge yourself, just do it among the other cars in your group, regardless of type. Going through the ranks, I've passed GT3's, and I've been passed by NA's. I'll have the turbo there, hopefully it will behave this time around.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:06 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
I'm assuming you are the lone red 1990 S2 that is registered. If so, you are Group 2, and the car is irrelevant at that level. It isn't until at least Group 4 that the car has any bearing, whatsoever. If you want to gauge yourself, just do it among the other cars in your group, regardless of type. Going through the ranks, I've passed GT3's, and I've been passed by NA's. I'll have the turbo there, hopefully it will behave this time around.
You are correct on the red S2.

It's all about the driver at any level in my opinion. (As my tennis coach used to tell us: "It's not the racquet...") I am not the best driver out there, by any means. I have been offered promotion to solo driving several times, but since I am only typically able to attend 2 DE's a year, I feel like instruction is always a good thing. Beyond that, this will be my first time driving RA, and I will not drive a new track without an instructor. This will also be my first time back on track in 6 months. I'll be lucky to find the track Saturday morning...

What I have experienced time and time again is the ability to maintain or gain on cars through turns, but then have to give point-bys or watch them disappear ahead of me on the straights. The S2 is usually down at least 100 hp to most cars in my run group, and on the long straights at VIR (and I'm guessing RA) it doesn't seem to matter much how well I get through a turn - I won't see that GT3 again, even if I did just pass him before the last turn.

What I meant was I hope to find a similar horsepower car and a driver of similar ability - a rare thing, in my experience - I can shadow or lead for a few laps. That would be fun. I have no interest in lap times because I will simply never be that good. I'm just looking to have fun and learn better car control.

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 05-22-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there in the turbo... as long as its done in time!
Old 05-23-2014, 02:58 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
I'll be there in the turbo... as long as its done in time!
Brad, you and I chatted at length, the other day, about the Autothority/Vitesse setups you had in your previous cars.

Have a great time at RA. And take a few pics...
Old 06-04-2014, 10:04 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Made it back from Road Atlanta the other day, safe and sound, and have to say I really, really enjoyed my first time driving there. I found the track to be LOTS of fun. It demands respect, for sure, but it has a great flow to it, and I feel like I did a half-decent job out there considering I hadn't been on track in six months. My instructor had never driven the track before either , but he was a great guy and we clicked well. I thought he did a very good job. In the end, I passed a few cars and was passed by plenty, but the number declined as the weekend progressed. I enjoyed the track as much as any I have driven in a long time.

I saw drift a 944's camo car on Saturday, but never had a chance to say "Hello". I did speak with a few 944 owners - there were a lot out there. Sorry I did't meet more! I was hanging out with a crowd from the "Cayman Invasion" whom I have known for a number of years.

Approximately 900 miles driven, plus 8 20 minutes sessions on track used a fair amount of gas, about about a quart of oil, a good bit of brake pad, and I now have the nice melty look on the tire treads. As I've said, I'm not the best dirver out there, but I sure do have fun!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:05 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Speedy - glad to hear you enjoyed the weekend and the track! Wish I'd had a chance to say hello as well. I was trying to remember which car was yours while I was there, but there were a few red ones and I wasn't entirely sure who was who at times. I didn't stay too long either, mostly just for the mid-portion of the day.

But anyhow, looking back through my photos trying to find your car, there was only 1 unlucky run group that I was distracted from almost the entire time of every session, and I think it was yours. :/ I did manage to squeeze in just a couple photos though, from a distance, while in-between talking to a few folks.
Let us know when you come down again! I think there is another PCA Peachstate region DE in October that I may try to participate in. But we'll see.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

^ You got me - thanks for the photos!

I certainly hope to get back down to RA before too long. The camo car is a whole lot easier to spot than "just another" red 944! I'll be sure to say "Hi".

Quick Reply: Peachtree PCA DE at Road Atlanta