Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 944 turbo - advice, please

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
I based my advice on the OP stating:

Everything stated in the recent post about fixing a part before it fails etc ... how does one know a part is going to fail! Yes if you're one of those guys that knows the 944, reviews it periodically, and can recognize potential problems then sure it's a great car but what if you don't have that ability? Indy shop ... $

I think you are mis-reading what is being said here.

99% of what needs attention on a 944 is the same stuff that ANY 30 year old car needs.

Most of the issues people have is from buying a car that is behind on the NORMAL maintenance that EVERY 30 year old car should have had.

The 944 doesn't really have any special needs that any other old car doesn't.

For example, any old car with a timing belt is going to need to have that, the waterpump and rollers replaced.

Any manual transmission car probably needs a clutch by now.

Replacing ALL the vacuum lines and rubber fuel lines on any old car is a no brainer. Yet people wait until they have a leak and then replace only the effected line. Garanteeing they will have another leak to deal with in short order.

There is nothing magical or special about the maintenance of a 944/951. It just needs to be done!

The only difference is that when an old Toyota gets to the point of needing all is stuff it just goes to the crusher. People want to keep the Porsche on the road so must deal with getting back up to spec.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:14 PM
TexasKid
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Give him this - he has the best avatar by far - i get a little spring in my step when I see that babe.
Yep.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by austin944
What is the maintenance interval for a rear-view mirror?
It is based on inspection. If you don't have the skill to inspect rear view mirror, you should let maintenance of 30 years old porsche to qualified person who can.

Taking care for old timer sports car is technically challenging task and if your car is not 99%+ reliable, you are not maintaining it properly.

Last edited by Voith; 01-15-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 944 turbo - advice, please