Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 944 turbo - advice, please

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014 | 11:56 AM
Cole
Drifting

Looks like a nice car for $9k.

Nice ones are getting harder to find cheap. Only going to get harder.
Old 01-06-2015 | 10:52 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by Paulyy
They are not money pits..

your bar for what constitutes a money pit is higher than the Baluarte Bridge....
Old 01-06-2015 | 11:14 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by odurandina
your bar for what constitutes a money pit is higher than the Baluarte Bridge....

How is that Chevy swap work in' out for ya? Tell us how cheap it's been?
Old 01-06-2015 | 02:04 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

1. why are you so bitter?

2. pm's are confidential and airing them is a very bad idea.

3. any information you think you have is out of date.

4. my LS engine block was purchased on sale for a song..... the engine build was a fantastic value on par with a regular forged/cnc LS3 - done at one of the best LS shops in the country.

6. the transmission was built right for a great price by one of the best out there. he posts here often.

7. despite all the no start/junk car swap threads, last time I checked, this is an enthusiast forum. it's a free country, and people like having cars that go fast.... or in some cases, very fast.

8. my engine swap is fine.

9. if you have anything nice to say about my car project, feel free. if not, kindly stfu.

10. opinions are like ********. everyone has one. and we have this forum for airing them. as long as opinions are offered respectfully, and not intended to flame. i'm tough in this regard. I don't like it when people's projects go bad. they often do. so, I happen to think all engines options are possible go to options; including 3.0 turbos and especially going V8.

11. you still can't compete with e-***.

12. next up, is a recent vw flat six water pumper (stablemate).

13. stop trolling my posts. being a dick is obvious - and it's robbing you of the good life.
Old 01-06-2015 | 03:39 PM
Cole
Drifting

1. why are you so bitter?
Because I'm tired of all the bashing you unfairly and wrongly give these cars to newcomers on an enthusiast site! All you do is hate and disperse bad information.

People come here because they like these cars. They need real facts, not your bloated perception of the facts.

They want Porsches, not to be told they need Chevys dressed up like Porsches.

Contrary to your belief, most of us have owned our Porache powered cars for a long time and it didn't randomly blow up or cost $60k to maintain.
Old 01-06-2015 | 08:08 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Give him this - he has the best avatar by far - i get a little spring in my step when I see that babe.
Old 01-06-2015 | 10:18 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Give him this - he has the best avatar by far - i get a little spring in my step when I see that babe.
Eh, she's hot but I don't think those type of avatars have a place on these forums. Kinda think they are juvenile. I dont really take anyone seriously that posts random chick pics as their avatar on a car forum. Put up a picture of yourself or your car, that is what this place is about. Not the chick you jerk off to!
Old 01-07-2015 | 04:25 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
Because I'm tired of all the bashing you unfairly and wrongly give these cars to newcomers on an enthusiast site! All you do is hate and disperse bad information.

People come here because they like these cars. They need real facts, not your bloated perception of the facts.

They want Porsches, not to be told they need Chevys dressed up like Porsches.

Contrary to your belief, most of us have owned our Porache powered cars for a long time and it didn't randomly blow up or cost $60k to maintain.
+22705

13. stop trolling my posts. being a dick is obvious - and it's robbing you of the good life.
He is not the one trolling around here. You are.
Old 01-07-2015 | 06:35 AM
exp951
Rennlist Member

Actually it's odurandurinas constant bashing on the 951's that makes it harder to justify the paid membership on this site, why hasn't he been banned or at least told to refrain from such bashing? Maybe the mods are not doing their job.
Old 01-07-2015 | 09:05 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Cars, women, gunpowder. It's all the same thing, just different intake mechanism
Old 01-07-2015 | 12:40 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

All I have ever seen is him on every 951 thread sticking his nose where it doesn't belong and trying to stir the pot. You have an interesting thread going,are learning some things,and then BAM,some nonsense and babbling diatribe about God knows what. Ok,you don't like turbos,we get it.Then why are you on the sites ALL the time, upsetting a thread when people are trying to make there cars better and learn.Sheeesh man.
Old 01-07-2015 | 01:00 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

As for back on topic. I had an 84 na for almost 4 years and enjoyed it.But,by year 2 I wanted something more as I do De's with the car. Last year I bought an 87 turbo. It was neglected but very clean fundamentals.I spent quite a bit of money getting it too what I wanted,which is a VERY reliable turbo,if there is such a thing.
Belts,rollers,etc,best water pump I could find.The cooling system is where I really wanted reliability.I bought the best silicone hoses(ALL HOSES).I bought a very big radiator and reliable radiator.I also never went over 6k rpm on shifts.

I am happy to say last summer did 9 de's,a few autocross and several 4 to 6 hour drives on Sunday with the girl,and I haven't had any problems.

As far as the fun factor,most of my De's are at a big track(Mosport) and when I come off after every session I am giggling.So much more power and torque to pull you back in the seat. The car stays with most of the under 350hp flagship models.

I realize I am spending more money than I used to with the na,but the payoff is worth it. I just don't have the money(or maintenance money)it takes to keep a flagship model in tiptop shape.

I used to rip around in my na having a ball and saying too myself,Imagine if I had a 100 more horse.Now I do,and couldn't be happier.

Cheers
Old 01-08-2015 | 11:40 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Too bad this is a forum

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Legally, whenever someone says "why don't you just drop an LS motor in that?" you can kick them in the nuts.

Look it up - its a federal statute.
Old 01-08-2015 | 11:54 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Correct, these are money pits, huge money pits and time pits. But it depends how you look at it. I wanted an enjoyable car that looked nice and wasn't overly complicated so I could learn how to do car repairs/maintenance so the 951 was the one for me.

The good:
Appearance
Online resources (lots of DIY help available)
Fun to drive

The bad:
Parts are failing left and right (it's a ~30 y.o. car)
Parts aren't readily available, almost never same-day
Parts are expensive
The ratio of up time (when the car is driveable) / down time (undriveable, waiting for parts, repairs) is horrendous. Don't think sending it to the shop will solve this, the shops that deal with 944s are booked far out and won't get to your car anytime soon.

In my case the good outweighed the bad (but only slightly and if I had to do it over I'd buy a gen1.996 and invest the same amount of time/$ in an LS swap), but don't think this is going to be a VW or a Honda where all you do is maintain the fluids and the filters every several thousand miles and if something does break, it's in stock at the local car parts store and you swap the part out all same day.

For me the 944/951 is good for a person who:
has a garage or work area
can DIY or can learn to DIY it
has a second car
Old 01-08-2015 | 12:06 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
The ratio of up time (when the car is driveable) / down time (undriveable, waiting for parts, repairs) is horrendous
Every car with obscure mods have this problem it is not exactly 951 specific.

Stock 951 if maintained properly, has uptime more than 99.9%. That is more than good enough for 80s turbo car. If you turn up the boost and put random "performance" pieces in it, you are clearly not aiming for long uptimes.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 944 turbo - advice, please