Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions on refinishing engine parts in situ

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Taymar
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some questions on refinishing engine parts in situ

Since I have many parts off the engine to fix several leaks, I'm trying to clean up everything as best I can before it all goes back together. The engine is still in the car so I can't get it hot tanked or anything like that.

I've looked into getting some of the gold/cadmium/zinc metal pieces re-plated so I think I have options on that front.

What I'm wondering now is whether I have any options for the (stock) 951 headers. Mine are pretty blotchy, presumably from where oil and PS fluid has burned onto them over the years. Are there any options for getting these to look more uniform in color or is that a lost cause?

Also, I've tried cleaning up the aluminum parts with a brush and various cleaners. It's working reasonably well but if there's a preferred way to get the grime out of the casting 'grain' I'd love to know about it.

Edit: One more while I think about it - am I correct in thinking that the insulation which attaches to the inner fenders is held on with glue/adhesive as well as those clips? I'd really like to remove that and clean all the oil and grit out from behind it, but that may not be possible if it's glued on.

Thanks as always for any help & advice.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

I would pull the headers and have them sand blasted, it's not too hard to take them off.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Taymar
Racer

That could work. Are they coated or plated with anything? and is there anything like fiberglass inbetween the actual header tubes and the thinner heatshield metal?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:44 PM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The silver insulation inside the engine bay is not glued - it just attaches to the body with clips. These are quite difficult to remove but it is doable. On the other hand I don't think that it is possible to remove the insulation panels with engine still in.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Taymar
Racer

Would you have any tips for removing the clips please? Good to know it's not glued afterall. I'm only trying to remove the piece on the passenger fender - or even just peel it back enough at the front/top to clean behind it.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:42 AM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you will be able to clean behind the piece that covers right side member - all you need to do is to remove 2 clips. Tips - well I wish I know them... These clips are real PITA. I ended up just bending them up and pulling. If there is a smart way to remove them I would like them know it as well.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:04 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Clips are pita to remove without causing damage to insulation.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Taymar
Racer

Got it. I had a feeling the clips were NLA but they show up on pelican and a couple of other places. Could anyone confirm they've been able to buy replacements please? I am fine with replacing the clips if I can sacrifice them to avoid mashing the insulation.

Thank you for the help, this sounds more viable than I was expecting.

Quick Reply: Some questions on refinishing engine parts in situ