Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 turbo shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 PM
xuno_gil
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 turbo shifting issues

hello all, so I am having problems with my 86 944 turbo.
I recently put in a new stage II clutch less than 40 miles ago. All of the sudden today when I was driving it became really hard to shift into first gear, the stick did just not want to push in. Then all of the sudden it would slide in but it would be in 3rd or some other gear. Again, now the stick goes into the first gear position but it is engaging another gear (from the way the vehicle behaves I'm guessing 3rd). Then all of the sudden it started to get really hard to get it into reverse.
This is where I am now, 1st is not first and I can't get the stick into reverse.
This all happened in a matter of maybe 10 shifting times.
What do you all think? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:28 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like the shift linkage on the top of the transmission isn't tightened properly. This same thing happened to me after putting a new trans in...I forgot to tighten down one or two of the bolts on the shift linkage, and all of a sudden after driving it for a little while I had a lot of trouble finding first, and when i did, it was actually third. I climbed up under the rear of the car with a couple wrenches and found some loose stuff, tightened it, had to adjust it a bit, and then it was all better.

Hopefully that's your problem
Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

OUTSTANDING opportunity to upgrade your shifter (since you're gonna be uner the car anyways). For around $80 you can get one of the new short shifters from "only944.com". It's quick and easy to install and it makes your shifter feel like a new Cayman. High quality construction and you get 30% less shifter throw and makes a tremendous improvement on how smooth these old trannys shift. Ask around. Everyone who gets one, loves them.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM
xuno_gil
Track Day

alright well to me that sounds like a great benefit for the price I might just have to do that.
And yes I was thinking it had to be the links down there because it doesn't seam like a tranny issue more of a shifter issue, I will check on it and see but I am crossing my fingers as well.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 AM
homerj
Rennlist Member

same thing happened on my car till my buddy pulled the shift boot cover and my bolts had loosened up on shifter. tightened down and worked great.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:24 PM
xuno_gil
Track Day

I am going to try and order a short shifter set but they are currently out of stock until then I need to get this thing adjusted right, does anyone have like a step by step instruction on how these should be adjusted to get them right, I have been adjusting and adjusting and it is still not right
Old 02-13-2014, 06:57 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clarksgarage.com has a good step by step on setting up the shifter and rear linkage. Are you sure the bolt that connects the intermediate rod to the shifter linkage on top of the transaxle isn't loose or missing?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:21 PM
xuno_gil
Track Day

well have adjusted this thing according to instructions (which are pretty straight forward) and still issues. I finish adjusting it and tighten it all up cause it seams to be good then try it and it is still good but I get it back in the ground and it is off again.
now I am assuming I have a bad shifter bushing (the white plastic thing) but the symptoms of a bad one just say loose shifting nothing about losing shifting accuracy.
So before I go and buy one (which they say you have to buy a shift lever too) can this cause my issues? I have no problem getting the parts just the last thing I want is to get it in and still have the issue.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Mark924S
Advanced

You can have it all snug and still be off, I'll be honest when i put the only 944 short throw in it took me a while to get it adjusted properly BECAUSE my shift lever was worn, i purchased a shift lever as well from only 944 and its perfect now.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:06 PM
xuno_gil
Track Day

I am assuming the short shifter does not require a different shift lever? If not, I guess i will buy a new shift lever as well and hopefully when all my parts get in I can get this thing adjusted, cause right now no matter what it will not stay in proper adjustment.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:12 PM
968 GUY
Racer

Did you check the wear on the shifter and shift rod? Very high on the probability list. Look at only944's solution.

Quick Reply: 944 turbo shifting issues