Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reasealed Throttle Body - Too Stiff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014 | 09:45 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Default Reasealed Throttle Body - Too Stiff?

So I resealed my 86 turbo throttle body with the Arnworx kit.

I followed the instructions to a "T" and lubed everything up quite well but the new "O" rings are so tight that they don't let the butterfly close all the way. It almost closes all the way but not last 3-5% or so. It's like the spring isn't strong enough. I pulled it apart several times to check to see if the O rings were fully seated and lubed and they were. I'm very sure I got all the old O rings out too.

I even took a new O ring and slipped it on the shaft just to see how tight it fit and it was quite tight just by itself.

I also checked the operation before the butterfly went in and it did the same thing, so its not that the butterfly isn't centered and binding up.

Do I just need a stronger spring?
Old 02-13-2014 | 10:03 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

You sure you didn't bend the shaft? I bent mine trying to remove the screws that hold in the plate, and I thought I could bend it back. I ended up having to order another one from Bruce.
Old 02-13-2014 | 10:50 AM
Teddy952
Racer

After I resealed mine with the Arnworx kit, I experienced the same 'stickyness' as you are having. I bent the lower spring arm just a little bit so it would have enough spring tension to fully close.
Old 02-13-2014 | 11:21 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Teddy952
After I resealed mine with the Arnworx kit, I experienced the same 'stickyness' as you are having. I bent the lower spring arm just a little bit so it would have enough spring tension to fully close.
Im thinking the same thing.
Old 02-13-2014 | 11:22 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HICKS
You sure you didn't bend the shaft? I bent mine trying to remove the screws that hold in the plate, and I thought I could bend it back. I ended up having to order another one from Bruce.
Yeah, Im sure. the o ring is even stiff if you just put it on the shaft all by itself.
Old 02-13-2014 | 11:37 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Call Bruce.
Old 02-16-2014 | 04:18 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

I did indeed get in contact with Bruce and he was very quick to respond and remedy the situation.

In the end he said that the o rings I had in the kit were the newer ones but not OEM, but had a square section similar to the OEM rings. However Bruce shipped me three different o rings, the older type that use to come in the kit (I think it's a Mercedes o ring) , a new type that they are experimenting with and another square sectioned o ring like the newest ones but not ribbed. I found the Mercedes to be the best. No "sticktion" though they have a round section. After install all was good, so I'm very happy!

Thanks Bruce!!!

Quick Reply: Reasealed Throttle Body - Too Stiff?