Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

walnut shell carbon blasting of exhaust valves

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:34 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default walnut shell carbon blasting of exhaust valves

Just got off the net with Bill Burris, the 944 tech expert with Panorama magazine and as we were discussing halting acceleration issues, he mentioned that Porsche has a procedure using crushed walnut shells to blast carbon build-up off of the exhaust valves.

I called my local dealership about it and since the girl at the desk was new and not totally adept on stuff like this, she's going to look into it and call me back.

Anyone out there familiar with this process and to what extent the engine is disassembled to do it. It's supposed to be done with the head still attached but not sure if the entire intake has to come off or just the throttle body.

Verrry Interesting, Ja?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

AFAIK, this is a somewhat common practice (maybe pioneered by BMW?) particularly used to clean carbon deposits off valves in DFI engines, where this issue can be a problem.

I don't know the extent of disassembly required.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:45 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I soda blasted mine. It was slow work, though. Walnut shell would have been a better media.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:24 PM
42 yrs w/porsche
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi used the same procedure on all their 5000 models that had hesitation problems back in the late 80's. After removing the intake manifold there was a device that bolted to the head, air pressure was applied and the back of the valves were blasted. It had a positive effect but I would think you could accomplish the same thing by adding BG 44K to a couple of tankfuls of gas. My 2 cents.--Dave
Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the BMW and MINI tool attaches right to the individual intake port, and has a small hole for the media blast wand and a larger fitting further back to hook up a shop vac or vacuum source to extract the used media and carbon.

I'm wondering if it might be difficult to get good enough access to the exhaust ports of a 944 if the engine is still installed in the car (assuming you'd be blasting the exhaust valves via the exhaust ports). I would think with a blast wand made to the right shape it could work though.

I think the buildup on the DI cars deals with the intake valves since they don't have fuel constantly washing the deposits off the valves. I'm not sure how much more stubborn (if any)the carbon on an exhaust valve would be.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should have clarified that I removed the head to clean my valves.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Originally Posted by 42 yrs w/porsche
Audi used the same procedure on all their 5000 models that had hesitation problems back in the late 80's. After removing the intake manifold there was a device that bolted to the head, air pressure was applied and the back of the valves were blasted. It had a positive effect but I would think you could accomplish the same thing by adding BG 44K to a couple of tankfuls of gas. My 2 cents.--Dave
I read your notes and did about an hour of research on this stuff including comparisons with Redline, Seafoam, Techron, etc. and the reviews were eye-opening. I ordered two cans off Ebay, since no-one around here sells it over the counter. One can should suffice for two tankfuls of gas on the Porsche and the other for my rough idling Dodge Truck (which I can't seem to fix, either). Thanks in advance for your info.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

The thing that concerns me with all these bottled chemical cleaners is what happens to all the carbon? It has to go somewhere. I can imagine that the stuff works however I would rather the carbon stays stuck where it is rather than being loosened and flying around the combustion chambers.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its gets burned and goes out the exhaust, I would assume?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:36 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Its gets burned and goes out the exhaust, I would assume?
Yes I'm sure that's where it ends up after it has been worked loose from the piston and lodged itself in the top ring and scored your cylinders for a while.

Sorry but I'm not convinced.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Deposits do not burn. Carbon deposit is the hardest material known to me.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Voith
Deposits do not burn. Carbon deposit is the hardest material known to me.
Yep, diamonds are carbon and are the hardest material known, but black carbon is still right up there, about twice the hardness of aluminum. It will f#ck your engine if you let it loose in there. imo best leave it there undisturbed and clean it off next time the engine is rebuilt or when the head comes off.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:17 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

From what I've ascertained from other posts online regarding the BG 44K cleaner is that the carbon doesn't come off in pieces. It seems to slowly liquify and slowly ablates away. One poster poured a little on a piston head that was carboned up and the next day he hosed the stuff off like it was a liquified sheen and not in pieces. Interesting stuff and from all I read, there were no negative reviews, but a bunch of enthusiastic comments based on positive results. Hopefully, that'll prove the answer to my acceleration issues. I've replaced everything else chasing this problem.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Take your car out and drive the p*ss out of it for a few hours and most of the carbon should be taken care of.

This reminds me of the GM tech bulletin about oil consumption on the Northstar engines...old ladies would drive the car at 6mph and never go above 2000rpm and the rings would basically stick in place from carbon buildup. The Cadillac recommendation to the techs was "drive the car for an hour or so and give it WOT several times for extended acceleration periods" to unstick things and burn it off.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I havent used seafoam on my 944 but I think it dissolves carbon deposits, kind of like acetone dissolves lacquer. I can't see how it would dislodge dangerous chunks. Isnt seafoam made of acetone anyway? ...can't quite remember. Besides, auto stores sell as much seafoam as paint wax, and no cylinder scoring has been reported.

Quick Reply: walnut shell carbon blasting of exhaust valves