Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 guys - is this worth picking up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Copilot
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone have any primers on doing a transmission rebuild? Or a good reliable (and reasonable) source that'll do it?

I'm always up for a challenge if I can do it myself... but it would be new territory for me. Pretty confident in my overall abilities though.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:23 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you want to try it yourself, the factory manual specifies a number of special tools for rebuilds. IIRC there's a few different shops in the Eugene and Portland area that have experience rebuilding Porsche transmissions, mostly 911s. Since the 968 trans is very similar to 964 boxes, it should be easy enough to get a good quote.

Originally Posted by Copilot
Anyone have any primers on doing a transmission rebuild? Or a good reliable (and reasonable) source that'll do it?

I'm always up for a challenge if I can do it myself... but it would be new territory for me. Pretty confident in my overall abilities though.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Copilot
Pro

Good call - remember any of the names by any chance? Eugene is best...
Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Idk if they are near you but Kevin Gross & Catellus Engineering here on RL seem to know a fair bit about our transmissions, might be worth a couple of pm's.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snag it asap!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:02 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one was a similar story, although private party and it needed perhaps a bit less work. Was advertised for $4500 and the ad disappeared. I got lucky and was able to track it down regardless. When I got there the car looked pretty sad so I tried 50c on the dollar and caught the owner's wife at just the right moment.

I bet this dealer would take less. You have nothing to lose by trying. Even at $4k you are safe I'd say. The one I had sold for $75-hunny to a car-guy friend who loves it. Of course I went crazy making it shipshape but still did ok.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-she-said.html

Old 12-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Copilot
Pro

After some planning, etc. - I'm definitely getting it, and picking it up this Monday. Apparently it'll drive fine on the highway, just doesn't go into second - but I have a friend with a giant truck and an enclosed trailer, so we're playing it safe.

I'm pretty excited. I got the uncensored mechanical verdict on it from a club member who did the inspection. Unfortunately the dealer was not interested in any offers - he said it's either $4k, or he puts it to auction and gets $4k or slightly more. I tried in vain, but oh well.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:49 PM
67King
Race Car

I'm pretty excited. I got the uncensored mechanical verdict on it from a club member who did the inspection. Unfortunately the dealer was not interested in any offers - he said it's either $4k, or he puts it to auction and gets $4k or slightly more. I tried in vain, but oh well.
Sometimes you just don't argue when an asking price is right. Been on the buying and selling end a few times like that.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

So did you pick it up today?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Copilot
Pro

On my way! Should have it within two hours
Old 12-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

On my way! Should have it within two hours
Congrats! Post some pics when you have time!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Copilot
Pro

Default It's Mine!

After an epic one day road trip to Bremerton, WA from Coos Bay, OR (including the ice and snow filled Hwy 38 from Reedsport to Eugene), the car is home with me! Major thanks to a good friend from work who has the greatest custom truck setup you've ever seen, and another friend from work with an enclosed car hauler:

The car is everything as described - luckily, not only did I talk to the guy who inspected it (and let me know about the car), but I had an hour long phone call with the previous owner that traded it to the dealer - turns out he had actually posted in a thread in the 968 forum a few weeks ago, and even included his cell phone number. Could it be any easier??

The car is pretty gorgeous. I almost wanted to yell at the sales guy to get off my new car:

Interior is ALMOST perfect. The stuff that doesn't have any issues looks almost brand new - the dash is uncracked, which I am very happy about. The only minor issues are that one of the screw covers on the interior trim is missing, and the left bolster on the driver's side seat is worn through and needs to be re-upholstered. Couple of spots on the mats too, but the carpet itself is great.

When I talked to the previous owner, he mentioned that all the owners of this car had been Porsche enthusiasts. It shows. That binder in the last picture is the maintenance records of the car. I have big shoes to fill when it comes to documentation.

One thing that I think is crazy about when you have people that LOVE Porsches - you end up with a car that is 20 years old and has139k on the clock, and the engine bay looks like this:

Another glamour shot:

Another great thing about it being "enthusiast owned" - I found out it has a ton of upgrades/performance parts on it - RS Barn catback exhaust, RS Barn chip (at least I think that's where the PO said the chip was from), Spec Stage 1 clutch, Konis on all 4, RS barn strut brace, some kind of airbox mod... not a whole lot left for me to to do!

The shiny exhaust:

The best part? I brought cash to pay for it, but since it was at a dealer, and it was so cheap - I thought, "hey, a car is probably worth a lot of credit card points". They didn't have a problem with that, so now I have a bunch of travel points too

Last edited by Copilot; 12-11-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Wrong Link
Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Congrats! I'm a little jealous....but have one already.....and it's not modified, so I get to modify it!

;-)
Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Don't have to!! Just got (surprisingly without much trouble) spousal concurrence!! I love my wife - she is by far the most reasonable and open minded individual I have ever met. The fact that those traits are allowing me to get this 968 are just a bonus
Point of order, her agreement means that she is pleasingly unreasonable, just like the rest of us. No reasonable person pours money into these cars.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:11 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats, I hope you love it and it treats you well.

There's a great community of 968 owners and knowledge here. Feel free to PM me if you ever need help, I love 968s and can't resist helping to keep more of them on the road.

I love those wheels, if you ever want to sell them, let me know! I also like the european turn signals, I had the same on my car. But overall, I think the best part is the color - white is just beautiful on a 968, maybe the best color.

Quick Reply: 968 guys - is this worth picking up?