Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 guys - is this worth picking up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

That looks like an awesome deal! Congrats - hope you can get it fixed quickly and enjoy it for a long time!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:22 PM
wpb968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking 968. Good deal. Congratulations!!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Copilot
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone! I'm super excited about the car - I've been driving it around town going 1st to 3rd and even without 2nd, it's still a ton of fun.

What's amazing to me is HOW different (and generally, in my opinion, better) this car is from my 951. It's not as fast, sure, but it is a ton of fun. Definitely better looking too.

I think I'm going to wrap up my work on my 951 and get it sold before I really dig into this car a lot, but I'll definitely reach out when the time comes. I'll probably make a few very subtle (and reversible) cosmetic changes after I get a news trans in and get the gaskets fixed up.

In the meantime, what "essential" tools should I have for this compared to say, the 951? I have basically every specialty type tool from that car that you end up needing to pull the engine, replace all the seals/gaskets, and replace the timing belts.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing like a white 968! Any chance it is an M030 car? What do the front brake calipers look like?
Old 12-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Copilot
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Not an M030 car unfortunately, but the sways WERE upgraded to the M030 bars, so I've got that going for me.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:18 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Regarding maintenance / repair, the 968 is essentially the same as a 951, except for the engine, and some other little things.

If you do your own timing belt jobs, you'll need a special tool for compressing the hydraulic belt tensioner. Something like this:
Disc Brake Pad Piston Compressor Caliper Wind Back Tool - Amazon.com Disc Brake Pad Piston Compressor Caliper Wind Back Tool - Amazon.com
Without it, you can either struggle with a pry bar, or cut the belt off and compress the tensioner in a vice before reassembly (using the crank bolt washer as a pad for the bottom of the tensioner).

Don't ever disconnect your airbag until you've disconnected your battery. On the 968, the airbag warning light doesn't go away until it's hooked up to a Bosch scantool from the 90's (the "hammer") or a durametric.

968 front springs are smaller diameter, but your spring compressors should still work on them.

If you ever decide to take the tranny out (hopefully you won't ever need to) make sure you have a 944 shaft coupler ready to put in. The 968 piece is garbage, it's a bitch to take off, and often times it won't go back on.

If you have trouble with the hall sensor, you needn't replace it ($$$), you can cut off the plug and solder on a new plug - the plugs can be found in VW engine bays at the junkyard, usually under $5.

That's all I got at 2:18 am.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Regarding maintenance / repair, the 968 is essentially the same as a 951, except for the engine, and some other little things.

If you do your own timing belt jobs, you'll need a special tool for compressing the hydraulic belt tensioner. Something like this:
Disc Brake Pad Piston Compressor Caliper Wind Back Tool - Amazon.com
Without it, you can either struggle with a pry bar, or cut the belt off and compress the tensioner in a vice before reassembly (using the crank bolt washer as a pad for the bottom of the tensioner).

Don't ever disconnect your airbag until you've disconnected your battery. On the 968, the airbag warning light doesn't go away until it's hooked up to a Bosch scantool from the 90's (the "hammer") or a durametric.

968 front springs are smaller diameter, but your spring compressors should still work on them.

If you ever decide to take the tranny out (hopefully you won't ever need to) make sure you have a 944 shaft coupler ready to put in. The 968 piece is garbage, it's a bitch to take off, and often times it won't go back on.

If you have trouble with the hall sensor, you needn't replace it ($$$), you can cut off the plug and solder on a new plug - the plugs can be found in VW engine bays at the junkyard, usually under $5.

That's all I got at 2:18 am.
Have you used that particular tool for timing belt jobs? I've been looking for something as I need to get the rear cam gear cover off.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats again, looks great in white and real clean overall! Enjoy the new toy!

Quick Reply: 968 guys - is this worth picking up?