Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this be for real? Wow is all I can say.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

This nice scenery is the exact place of bloodiest WW1 battles where 1.2 million people died in winter combats. The place is still infested with ww1 weapons, bunkers carved in to stone and stuff like that. Hard to imagine. Spine chilling stories from locals too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_the_Isonzo

Girls are nice. Very suitable for your avatars.

Sorry for OT
Old 11-27-2013, 04:15 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its nice for a ford man(i admit it has its value)..but...cmon..its still a ford...cant compare it to premium brands...dont be silly.
But hey..if you love it so much..sell the 968 and buy one..what the hell..its cheap and probably cheaper to keep and run than the 968. I wonder..why do you hang on to that 968 anymore? Its just an old european piece of crap...isnt it? you're the one saying crap this crap that about european cars..why do own one and write on a forum about european cars?

btw...did you think 26mpg is good? because its not...even my k-jetronic 924 can get 36mpg...30 years after it was built.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:29 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

I was going 80 mph, and was getting 26. coulda got 29 going 65

that's way damn good for a large 3520 pound car.

my overall impression of this Mustang wasn't just good, but borderline fantastic.

again, would it be my weapon of choice??

no

the World's Fastest Porsche 968 is my weapon of choice.

and, if all goes according to plan, is coming very soon.

gee, I like how that sounds.

a bit brash at the least, and full attention ***** bragger at worst.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSzCbJVTxDY

Last edited by odurandina; 11-27-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Mueller944s2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
This nice scenery is the exact place of bloodiest WW1 battles where 1.2 million people died in winter combats. The place is still infested with ww1 weapons, bunkers carved in to stone and stuff like that. Hard to imagine. Spine chilling stories from locals too
I would love to see that! WWI is cool to study (I love history). When you say infested with weapons, you mean people haven't taken them yet???
Old 11-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

They did, but it is not hard to find things. There are still not discovered bunkers full of weapons and bones sometimes, and those pop up from time to time. I have an italian bayonet and few other things. Father found a box of ammunition that was in very decomposing state, so I only extracted pulver and still have it somewhere. The magnitude and brutality of these battles is mind boggling.

They used extreme amounts of explosives, big poison gas grenades, carry artillery to the top of mountans at -20°C. Brutal.

http://www.gadling.com/2013/05/30/to...eld-of-isonzo/

If you ever come to europe, take at least 3 days and hike it on foot. It is just amasing at what lenghts people are able to go, to kill each other.

http://www.kobariski-muzej.si/eng/

"… In the course of my professional career I visited hundreds of museums, among them war museums. Kobarid was the first one where I could not find the slightest trace of chauvinism, bias, or glorification. Its display is deeply touching. It takes its visitors by their hearts and souls and conveys a message which cannot be disseminated too often and too loud: war is insanity, crime, it only generates victims."
http://www.kobariski-muzej.si/exhibitions/permanent/

August 2, 1915
"Today I continue my diary. During the four days I spent on Mount Batognica I couldn't write. In these days I experienced the most sorrowful horrors of this terrible war... On the 29th I was in the trenches for twenty-four hours squatting among the bodies of our boys and the enemy. The stench was unbearable... There is little water, and it stinks. They bring it in water bags. For two days I didn't drink or eat..."
(Virgilio Bonamore, 1915 diary)

August 14, 1915
"... Then suddenly an unbelievable tragedy happened. Two Austrian guns we never dreamed were there opened crossfire from the right and the left right among the sharpshooters and mowed down everyone. The crossfire from machine-guns less than three hundred meters away killed dozens of men with every burst. We were somewhat higher and witnessed the terrible slaughter...

August 15, 1915
Only today could I grasp how immeasurable the disaster was. The 21st Battalion with the exception of fifty survivors is no more, the 7th and 9th divisions of the 36th Battalion have been halved, the 23rd Battalion has been decimated. A terrible debacle..."
(Virgilio Bonamore, 1915 diary)
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/59487734

Last edited by Voith; 11-27-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:08 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
the World's Fastest Porsche 968 is my weapon of choice.

and, if all goes according to plan, is coming very soon.

Hahaha, you've got a long way to go and you don't even realize it how far you are from your goal: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...y-joujaam.html

Even in straight line it will take some effort, and I would be very interested to see how it handles on the track with its V8 hanging in front
Old 11-28-2013, 04:41 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Odu, I think you're having an effect on me..

Just finished a late night 150 mile trip and was observing things about the car in the lack of traffic...

Man, this pea shooter buzzes at 80mph... sounds good at wot but cruising...

I think I'm going resonator shopping this black Friday.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:34 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by Raceboy
Hahaha, you've got a long way to go and you don't even realize....

yep, i gotta give you credit.

as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, you took the bait!

I know about that car, and I happen to like it very much.
what's not to like? but he's got that beast tuned at the edge of meltdown....

i give him all the credit that is due - not just because he's spent tens of thousands and done all the meticulous
work, and not just because he did it all from the astronomically costly Porsche and aftermarket parts bin...

but because he's taken (that engine) to the limits of what is possible with the 'Porsche 4' design....
then risked catastrophe in front of everybody in real-world competition -- and won !!

but again, that car is running at the edge... you can not daily drive it without a lot of risk,
numerous blown hg sets over the long haul (or worse).

in any case, let's put your highly sarcastic post to the test and see how it checks out...

on the $$$, with his $36,000 (est) 3.0 liter turbo 4 vs my $16,000 n/a pushrod V8, he's got me beat.

and I'm not ignoring all the race mods he's done with that car.

but don't look past (so quickly)... i also have cam options (left in reserve) for tuning it past 600hp....

I drive 30k miles per year. I'll get to reap the benefits of a bone-smooth idle, not too-loud dependable n/a engine
for the daily and 1,000+ mile drives, trips to Florida, etc without the endless bull****.

I've also done some cool/cosmetic/functional things; starting with the necessary headlight delete
(which very few street cars have seen done), taken considerable weight from the front
and eliminated the hp robbing headlamp socket (a disaster in the face of cat 5+ hurricane-force winds).

but I've taken it a bit further with future speed in mind.... my valence is now considerably curved
w/ a 997 style lower valence that can accommodate a GT2 style splitter.

and with the front now properly curved (like the late 911s, Carrera GT, Caymans/Boxters, etc), my front end
now pushes a good deal of air to the side, and is able to use the air that goes up and over to make more downforce
with less drag.... so i should be able to notice an advantage at high speeds.

and this isn't just a load of hot air. in fact, it has already taken place...

once the new valence was completed, the time it took to get to the limiter in top gear (running the 25.6" tires) decreased, and the car was (noticeably) more stable over 150 mph than before... but if that's not enough, just stand in front of the
car and you'll be able to see (clearly) - that it is an improved design.

and for the 200th time,

an n/a LSx engine is lighter than a 3.0 Turbo, (probably by about 15~20 pounds).

i have 928GTS brakes... and i'll be putting on low mile control arms, new caster
blocks and fresh rubber... but i'll concede, the new shocks (going on) are just oem.

i run big tires. 255 18s in the front and 285s in the rear. just about perfect for the street.

my engine is a shop built LS7 w/ 4.130" bore and 3.622" stroke (6,345 cc)
with ported factory LS3 heads, and stock Chevy LS9 cam built to safely turn 8,000 rpm,
but with throttle body/intake/ported head/1 3/4" long-tube headers/3.5" exhaust combo,
the engine should get to about 500~510 hp at the crank @ about 5,800 rpm...

however, with a cam swap and tuning or with mild shot of N2O, this engine would be capable of reaching 700+ hp
and not come anywhere near as close to blowing up as a 16 valve Turbo running over-top boost.

but, to be fair, it looks like his engine is making about 615~625 hp at the crank,

and i'll be leaving my car to a factory GM cam, i'll be stuck with a less dramatic hp peak...

but not so fast, my dear America hater......

my LSD transmission has all up-gearing (from the Audi/Euro parts bin) from 3~6... (even with the exception
of slightly shorter 1st and 2nd gears) my 2nd~6th are all smooth transitions, and i'll have tons of HP throughout the
band but also enjoy the added bonus of a 200 mph gear to switch to at 170 mph....

for the narrower peaky-hp turbo engine, he'd be better off with 7 gears,
but my v8 and it's smooth hp/torque curves is just about perfect for the 6 speed box.

with our cars coming out of the high banked turn at the Ehra-Lessien at 120 mph
onto the 5.5 mile straight going through the gears....

even with my engine with no race cam or Turbo in a bottle, I'd be closer to peak-torque most of the way.

and when i finally ran out of gear in 5th, I'd be near peak torque when swapping to 6th,

and I'd be just about at peak power (5,864 rpm) at 190 mph....

despite not having as much peak engine power as the dyno-queen 3.0,

i can't help but note a good deal of prejudice with your glass is half empty comment...

when, in fact, the glass is full.

i believe our cars would come out very close on a long straight like Ehra-Lessien.

Last edited by odurandina; 11-29-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:11 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Hahaha, you've got a long way to go and you don't even realize it how far you are from your goal....

as mentioned above, the short stroke LS7 renders the option for tuning to ~600hp at the flywheel.

–done in a few hours for less than $1,000....

so let's review;

1. engine swap: ~500 hp.

2. race cam + a few hours/tuning, etc: ~600 hp

3. race cam + N2O + a few more hours/tuning/$2,500: 700+ hp

although it's not so with a low-torque turbo 4,

with the flat hp/torque curve you get with a V8, 500 hp is enough.

Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 11-29-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:06 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Again you are talking with certainty about things you have no idea of.

Kristo (Krst) and Andres (Jõujaam) are my good friends and I happen to know every aspect of this build from day one. No, it is earlier, even the car that had the very same engine earlier.
These guys build everything themselves, including all the welds, ECU installs etc. They did not spend tens of thousands on this car, it was more like ten thousand max.

He drove this car daily during summer, that was his goal with the car, to have a fast street car and suprise! No problems whatsoever. I really have no idea where are you taking all this bull$hit claims like it cannot be done, it costs tens of thousands, it will melt down on the street etc.
Perhaps it is so for you, because YOU cannot do anything else but tell people to swap V8 in.

And I can assure you that you can have totally flat torque curve right from the idle, 500 hp is never enough to reach 308 kph on standing mile. It is good for ~270-280 kph, btdt.

That car was not just top speed contnender, he ran very fast time on auto24ring. His first time out with this car resulted 1.26.2, while Duke with his race-car had 1.23.9. And remember, one is streetlegal car, other is racecar. Just for a reference, Duke had 580 hp/695 Nm

Sometimes I wonder where all this stupidity comes from, but now I know, it is accumulated into someone with big enough brain capacity and then spreaded out. Too bad the brain capacity is wasted and doing harm rather than being useful.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:16 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

500 hp is never enough to reach 308 kph on standing mile. It is good for ~270-280 kph, btdt.

I fully agree, and I can appreciate that the numbers you're posting are dead-on accurate for a single mile pass.

but I wasn't using the 1/4 mile or standing mile in my example for testing for fastest 968.

I was using the 5.5 mile straight at Volkswagen's test facility at Ehra-Lessien; because that's one of the few
faculties (other than several lesser-known ovals) where such cars can reach top speed....

and to demonstrate that

1. the difference between my car and Andres/Jõujaam's in such a top speed test with just my engine standing
pat at 500hp, probably wouldn't be very much (mostly due to the gearing and peak hp/tq numbers for the 2 cars).

2. I could close the gap within a few hours simply by installing a cam, and then have the improved gearing and shift points
from 4th~6th, over Andre's 4th~5th combo - to be able to take advantage of the short-stroke LS7's flatter torque and hp curves.

and just to add, recall; the front of my car has improved *aerodynamics over Andre's 968T front end
*(including no open headlamp socket, and the option of installing an aftermarket GT2 front splitter).

interesting top-secret tracks.

http://www.motormorph.com/?p=1636

Again you are talking with certainty about things you have no idea of.
my usage of the word meltdown comes from the nearly limitless examples (we have) of bent rods, rod-bearing failures,
scored cylinders, cracked rings/pistons, and blown head gaskets from pushing the Porsche 4 cylinder engines over the years.

to be fair, the 3.0 seems to handle high boost far-better than the 944T engines, but the 3.0 builds still, are by far, the most expensive....
and while it's great to see a build like that done on a budget in his own shop, it's way out there in terms of being the exception to
what we usually see in the building process..... and then, what we continue to see when dialing these engines up to full power.

Andre posted a top-speed of 181 mph on the standing mile... but, obviously, his car will go faster.
now, seeing that you're the world's greatest statistician (and the forum's self-appointed genius),
would you happen to have any idea what the fastest anyone has taken a 968 on a top-speed run is??

Sometimes I wonder where all this stupidity comes from, but now I know, it is accumulated....
I don't know where you find the nerve to insult forum members so effortlessly.

I just don't see where a few differences of opinion rises to that level of outrage.

besides,

we already have e-bag eternal buttwad flamer-in-chief to post all the assbag ****.

and while your resume is surely coming along nicely, you still have a long,
LONG way to go, to reach e-bag's legendary status.

btw, in keeping with all your I hate America posts, just thought I'd mention I'm attending one of the most
insanely awesome car shows on earth here in Daytona Beach, Florida this weekend.... it's called; the Turkey Run.

can't count how many thousands of street rods and supercars we have on hand....

and the forecast for today/Saturday/Sunday calls for a highs of 70/75/74 °F.

Google: Turkey Run/images.

Last edited by odurandina; 11-29-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
my usage of the word meltdown comes from the nearly limitless examples (we have) of bent rods, rod-bearing failures,
scored cylinders, cracked rings/pistons, and blown head gaskets from pushing the Porsche 4 cylinder engines over the years.
In 1987, to demonstrate the endurance of a standard 944 engine, a car was driven 500.000 kilometers over a period of 12 months. The engine passed the test without any problems.
Generally people post only about their problems so all forums are usually pile of problems. Reality is another thing. 944 engine is very reliable. But like any engine, it can and will fail if criteria for such event is met. Being those engines are all old ~20 years, that means probability of failure is greater, but compared stock for stock with same age and mileage american V8, I do not think it is any worse. Basically all american 20 years old V8s I have seen around here are peace of **** 10 ton engines that have 200+ horsepowers on paper, in reality every 100hp econobox is way faster and it costs $200 to make a 200 mile trip in gas only. Not to mention oil.

30L/100km@1.5€/L = 320km @ 144€ = 200miles @ $196

Last edited by Voith; 11-29-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Being those engines are all old ~20 years, that means probability of failure is greater, but compared stock for stock with same age and mileage american V8, I do not think it is any worse. Basically all american 20 years old V8s I have seen around here are peace of **** 10 ton engines that have 200+ horsepowers on paper, in reality every 100hp econobox is way faster and it costs $200 to make a 200 mile trip in gas only. Not to mention oil.

30L/100km@1.5€/L = 320km @ 144€ = 200miles @ $196
The v8 im considering weighs the same dressed as the 944 engine, is all aluminum, has 4 overhead camshafts, 32v and 300hp and came from a 1993 american car, which averages 30+ mpg despite weighing about 4000lbs.

Not too bad.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:48 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Spencer,

those efi pieces of crap are just the same old sbc engines as the muscle-car era, only, most were 305 c.i.... still, they work fine if you install a proper manifold w/ Holley carb/(or aftermarket tb injection), go headers, and dump the cat.

but any Gen III/IV LS engine is definitely the better, lightweight pushrod engine.

your 90s caddy motor sounds ok, but what happened to the supercharger 4?

and did you vote for cheapo LS3 crate or short-stroke LS7 on my engine poll?
Old 11-29-2013, 01:30 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
The v8 im considering weighs the same dressed as the 944 engine, is all aluminum, has 4 overhead camshafts, 32v and 300hp and came from a 1993 american car, which averages 30+ mpg despite weighing about 4000lbs.

Not too bad.
30mpg at idle or what?

I mean..Porsche(and other OEMs) have gone to direct injection these days to lower the fuel consumption and emissions on the 911...if i'm not mistaken the newer 911s can do just a bit under 30mpg with their 350-400HP on 3000-3600lbs..and they have a 3.6/3.8L engine.

What are you actually saying? that the 1993 caddy V8 has a better fuel economy on a heavyer car and makes about the same power?

Quick Reply: Could this be for real? Wow is all I can say.