Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It is Official SARATOGA TOPS to be made again

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
interesting, the Turbo folks are buying two at a time. The 944 guys really show no interest. Well good luck here folks, but the tops are available if you want them.
Actually many of the "turbo folks" including me are rethinking our positions in regards to purchasing these.

Just curious...why wasn't the 944/951 community consulted as to what tint would be most desirable?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think 2 guys indicated a possible interest in buying more than one. It certainly wasn't everyone snatching them up in pairs.

.. And it sounds like some of that interest us dying based on colors.

I've got a 951 Fwiw.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:03 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

951 here as well. No way I will buy a gold sunroof. I would buy a black one.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Sour Kraut's 951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew I saw the answer to the color question, so for those of you who did not see it back in post #167 of the original forum topic this is how it reads...

https://rennlist.com/forums/9492868-post167.html

The green/grey was off the table due to material issues according to Pilk in that post.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:35 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sour Kraut's 951
I knew I saw the answer to the color question, so for those of you who did not see it back in post #167 of the original forum topic this is how it reads...

https://rennlist.com/forums/9492868-post167.html

The green/grey was off the table due to material issues according to Pilk in that post.
So in reading that post it seems as those the manufacturer doesn't really care about the market demands as opposed to availability of raw materials. Sorry but that makes very little sense.

However to be fair the question was the desire for silver or green which the reply was no sorry those materials are not available, only bronze. Is grey aka black in this conversation?

Silver I assume is reflective aka mirror? Next perhaps they can throw in a bolder tint with PORSCHE script as well. I don't mean to be a smart-*** or take away from the effort to get these made but I run a company and if someone brought a business case to me to for release to manufacturing the ROI better be there or the answer is no, unless of course we are using dead inventory, like bronze tint.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My new theory from reading the other thread is that these are actually 25 year old back stock being sold as recently produced parts.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-again-16.html
Here is the page if you haven't followed it.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:19 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cole
My new theory from reading the other thread is that these are actually 25 year old back stock being sold as recently produced parts.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-again-16.html
Here is the page if you haven't followed it.
Which would further the argument of the low price point. I personally would pay far more for a new black tinted one. 299 dollars almost seems insanely low unless made off-shore with sub-standard materials. This only adds to your premise of old stock.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
interesting, the Turbo folks are buying two at a time. The 944 guys really show no interest. Well good luck here folks, but the tops are available if you want them.
I've been following your quest on and off for the last few years. I don't recall the color of the Saratoga I sold on ebay for more than a set of Koni's cost.

Once on the car, I dint think the color is noticeable at all. It was irrelevant back in 2000 when I found mine. I was just thrilled to get one. Great work getting this done for the community! If I still had a 944 I would be on this like white on rice no matter what color car I had.

400 delivered for a new one is an awesome deal regardless of color. I was such a fan of the Saratoga top back when they were new that my 85 RX-7 was driven from the dealer in 11/84 about 5 miles to my house, the Saratoga from my 83 RX-7 was put on. the car was stolen in 90. A year or so back my brother was cleaning my parent's garage, and in the Saratoga box was the factory roof. I sold it on craigslist.

That was the second Saratoga I owned. the first one was on my car a day. my neighbor who was in his late 50s also had an RX-7. when he saw it on my car he told me to take it off, put it on his car, and make $25 on the transaction. he didn't feel like waiting the week, and a 10% ROI was sweet. my buddy across the street started it when he bought one for his dad for fathers day, for his 84 944 with fuchs and lsd.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:41 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Why aren't they using this glass?

Pilkington Automotive is a market leader in the development of dark tinted automotive glasses, producing two suites of glasses that provide significant benefits to privacy, solar control and overall vehicle styling.

The Galaxsee glass suite is a major player in privacy glazing. It was initially developed for the North American market and now finds global applications. This grey glass has a low light transmission and an even lower transmitted energy value. In comparison to an optimised green glass that is used in the front of the vehicle, the transmitted heat to the interior of the vehicle is decreased by approximately 65%. It also absorbs, and thus prevents, more than 95% of damaging ultraviolet radiation from entering the passenger compartment. Consequently, this glass is increasingly the choice for dark tail SUV and MPVs, in addition to being suitable for sunroof and full area moonroof applications.

Sundym is a green/blue glass suite that has a light transmission in the range of 26-45% over a 3 to 5mm thickness range. This glass blends with the green front door glass to allow both a design choice and an improvement to solar loading (45% less heat enters the rear of the vehicle compared to the front door glass).

The market continues to adopt these glasses due to the valuable combination of both physical and aesthetic benefits.

Quick Reply: It is Official SARATOGA TOPS to be made again