Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It is Official SARATOGA TOPS to be made again

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:50 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I've got a bronze one on my red 944 and looks show winning good. As to demand the 500 buck one on Pelican is missing a latch cap made from unobtainiun and is a manual sunroof. Can't judge potential demand from that example.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jhowell371
I've got a bronze one on my red 944 and looks show winning good. As to demand the 500 buck one on Pelican is missing a latch cap made from unobtainiun and is a manual sunroof. Can't judge potential demand from that example.

Sure you can! At $400obo, if these were *really* in demand someone would find a way to fabricate a replacement latch. After all, its just a latch on a manual roof. Not fabricating a new ring gear!

Have any good full car shots that really show off that bronze roof?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Cole
Drifting

I could see the bronze thing if it were a factory type replacement. Bt since these were never a factory thing I don't get the 70s color thing? Why not try to achieve a more modern look with it?

Not trying to be an *** of the topic. Would have been truly interested in a black one. Clicked on the thread all excited about the topic until I found out I would have to paint a TransAm Firebird chicken on the hood to make it look right.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:06 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Good job on getting these done, its always good that manufacturers do this sort of thing for the (small) 944 community. However I cannot understand the attraction of having a piece of glass above my head or letting more sunlight in an already bright/hot interior due to that huge hatch. What is the appeal again?
Ditto to the ones that got this pushed through to completion. I admit I was not in a huge rush to get one (I have a power roof that I converted to manual latches). To have a glass roof to use on and off would be cool.

I was thrilled when I saw the price of $300, was gonna jump on it. For that price I would adapt it to work as a manual roof.

Then once I learned in was bronze my interest has dropped a lot. Still hopefully it will be a great addition to the guys who want one. However, I bet the first 100 in bronze will be slow in getting picked up. If it would have been smoked I would have thrown some cash in for one.

I guess we shall see come Sep 17th. Maybe a running tally can be put on this thread.

Michael
Old 09-13-2013, 02:09 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

If I'm not satisfied with how it looks with the rest of my glass I figure I'll just take my *** to someone to have it tinted with film that matches better

Here's a pic I found (not my car of course):
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
If I'm not satisfied with how it looks with the rest of my glass I figure I'll just take my *** to someone to have it tinted with film that matches better

A valid point. Are you sure it will be possible? By that I mean, is this a roof with bronze tint on it or bronze colored glass? I know nothing about sunroof glass.

Michael
Old 09-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Cole
Drifting

Thanks for finding a picture Greg. I've been searching and couldn't find one.

I think that car is one of the bent scenarios having champagne interior. Although I no think it would look much better black.

I doubt with bronze glass it could be tinted to be another color. Any tint I on the inside would just make the bronze reflect even more and make it brighter.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
I too actually like the gold BBS wheel look on a red car. But having 1 gold wheel and 3 black would look like ***!

This is the way I feel about the top. One 70s bronze glass panel and 6 green/clear/black ones would look like *** IMO. Just seems like a much safer business decision to make them a neutral black tint. Kinda curious why they aren't!

I've had a Saratoga offered to me in the past but the color was bronze so I passed.

In searching for pics I discovered one on Pelican that has been for sale for a YEAR! At a reasonable price. To me that doesn't scream high demand.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...roof-e-pa.html

Was there once a poll on this somewhere that I missed? Link?
The problem for me is I have ALL my glass ( windshield included) tinted black or shade therefore of so bronze will stick out like a sore thumb. This sorta sucks.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
The problem for me is I have ALL my glass ( windshield included) tinted black or shade therefore of so bronze will stick out like a sore thumb. This sorta sucks.
Me too! That is why I questioned it.

Even if you don't, the factory front(and aftermarket glass) top sun shade is green!

Old 09-13-2013, 03:07 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Damn nice car there Cole! Where in CO are you?
Old 09-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Damn nice car there Cole! Where in CO are you?

Thanks.

I'm basically in the Denver area. (Unincorporated Arapahoe county SE of Denver)

Poor 951 lost its garage space for a few weeks while I put a new crate motor in my Eurovan this winter! It's warm and dry back in the garage now!
Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Exactly what I am going to do. Hey Greg, swinging through CO for a couple of days here in the next couple of weeks. might wanna swing by if you have a few moments.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Exactly what I am going to do. Hey Greg, swinging through CO for a couple of days here in the next couple of weeks. might wanna swing by if you have a few moments.
Beers on me!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:48 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Beers on me!
You're on. Book it Dano!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:58 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I respect cole for bringing up the counter-arguments. I was excited about getting one, but I'm not sure bronze for my car will look right. If this product comes out in a smoked grey, I think $300 + up to $120 shipping (I called them to ask), could be a worthy purchase.

I consider those who like the bronze lucky, because pilkington classics is making a nice product for our cars. i will wait for the second batch to come out, hopefully at an agreeable price.

before i make purchase, i want details of the product. that means plenty of information on the parts and materials, pictures from inside and outside of the car - day and night, video of the product working and being tested for whistling at high speed, and finally some info on how much sun/heat this thing reflects!!!

I think the 100 may go quick. i hope it sells well so a smoked grey one comes out. good luck to pilkington and stephen.

Last edited by bonus12; 09-14-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: It is Official SARATOGA TOPS to be made again