Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It is Official SARATOGA TOPS to be made again

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There may not be another run. Depends on how these sell I imagine. It's basically the original top with some improvements. So that info you want is out there.

As for the color? I can understand that.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole

Thanks.

I'm basically in the Denver area. (Unincorporated Arapahoe county SE of Denver)

Poor 951 lost its garage space for a few weeks while I put a new crate motor in my Eurovan this winter! It's warm and dry back in the garage now!
Use to live in Parker.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
There may not be another run. Depends on how these sell I imagine. It's basically the original top with some improvements. So that info you want is out there.

As for the color? I can understand that.
I hope you are wrong as I need 5!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:51 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Are there any pictures of a bronze one on a dark car? It would be cool to see.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

We have a product that is authentic and new coming out. If the tint is the problem, maybe get go get a tint put on it. For me, I put a lot of effort to get this out for all to enjoy and if the color is not your thing, well then just pass on purchasing one. Lucky for you folks, as there will be some when you change your minds.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
We have a product that is authentic and new coming out. If the tint is the problem, maybe get go get a tint put on it. For me, I put a lot of effort to get this out for all to enjoy and if the color is not your thing, well then just pass on purchasing one. Lucky for you folks, as there will be some when you change your minds.
First, if the glass is embedded with color then any tint added after the fact will only enhance the original color. In this case making it more bronze.

Then of course it would make it darker defeating the point of a glass roof.

We appreciate your efforts but its obvious from the responses that the color is potentially a major road block to this ultimately being successful.

I would start to question if there is even enough interest to sell the first batch..... Ever!.

If a bronze top was so in demand that you think hundreds would sell then one would think the single one that has been for sale for the last year would have sold to someone!

Seems pretty obvious that there's probably far more interest and potential for success with a neutral color. Which means a higher probably of future parts availability. If only a few get sold then it falls right into the same problems the Saratogas have now for replacement parts.

I doubt many here are going to change their minds on what they think will look good vs ghetto on their cars. Most seem to either want to modernize the look, stay totally original or build a race car. Bronze just doesn't seem to fit any of those categories.

Seems like a project to get a specific top for a specific car/person without full consideration of what has the best chance of success on the whole.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:57 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Cole, the reason the one for sale has not sold is two fold. 1, it is original and overpriced. 2, who in there right mind would purchase this used one missing parts for more than a brand new one. As for the choice of tint, if you don't like than don't buy it. I agree a black tint would look better, but this very exciting for everyone In this community.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:14 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It really is a simple question, why bronze? It basically alienates most color schemes. This isn't rocket science, a simple poll before the product offering would have pointed the manufacturer into the best use of its resources. Black obviously would have been number one and bronze a distant third or worse.

As was stated, the tint cannot be corrected later.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I will have to think hard about bronze. I have wanted a glass top to use for occasional use. They have been silly expensive for used and sometimes scratched/broken ones....so I have passed.

This is very attractive because it's new/improved but I don't know that bronze will look right on my black/black car.

Hmmmmm.

ps - no reflection on the efforts to bring this to market by the OP...I think he did a great thing....stuck with it and made it happen!! I think the mfg may want to think about the posts here and consider who might actually want bronze.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

.... . Or that its Bronze!

Seriously, this is a group of people that are used to buying and fixing up things. Broken parts and bad seals are easy to deal with for most people here. The color is not. Why is it so hard for some to see that this is not a popular color?

I've seen several of these tops sell quickly in the past for upwards of $700 so to say that one is over priced is probably inaccurate.

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Cole, the reason the one for sale has not sold is two fold. 1, it is original and overpriced. 2, who in there right mind would purchase this used one missing parts for more than a brand new one. As for the choice of tint, if you don't like than don't buy it. I agree a black tint would look better, but this very exciting for everyone In this community.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:26 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Given the current "market", I think it is fair to say that this one is overpriced. I do agree black or dark gray would def. be better, however I don't want to see pilk discontinue this project due to us complaining about the finish.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:31 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Given the current "market", I think it is fair to say that this one is overpriced. I do agree black or dark gray would def. be better, however I don't want to see pilk discontinue this project due to us complaining about the finish.
As opposed to poor sales because no one wants a gold sunroof? No, I think it's far better they understand their customer and build accordingly than have a large run of sunroofs only a handful of buyers would want.
Again, how was GOLD arrived at? except for the Champaign finished 944's a small sampling of other colors what exactly is a match for gold? Yeah, I'm calling it gold because bronze implies something else. It is gold.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:40 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
As opposed to poor sales because no one wants a gold sunroof? No, I think it's far better they understand their customer and build accordingly than have a large run of sunroofs only a handful of buyers would want.
Again, how was GOLD arrived at? except for the Champaign finished 944's a small sampling of other colors what exactly is a match for gold? Yeah, I'm calling it gold because bronze implies something else. It is gold.
Totally agree with this. It would have been very easy to create a poll here or on Pelican as to what tint the customer would prefer.

Bronze/gold does not match up well with many if any of our colors.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:00 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think that changing the color is a big deal for them !
Did anybody ask them if they can stop producing golden sun-roofs and go for black or something else?
Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

interesting, the Turbo folks are buying two at a time. The 944 guys really show no interest. Well good luck here folks, but the tops are available if you want them.

Quick Reply: It is Official SARATOGA TOPS to be made again