Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which clutch for supercharged S2??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which clutch for supercharged S2??

My stock Sachs clutch is nearing the end of its life. The clutch has been holding up OK so far considering its working with my supercharged S2 with (currently) about 270 ft-lb of torque. It is interesting the S2 uses the same clutch as the NA, so the NA must be really over-engineered, and with my engine you would think it is near its limit.

I will also be replacing the stock flywheel with an aluminium one.

Car use is mainly track and occasional street.
The options seem to be:

Standard Sachs replacement - full face organic compound clutch
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...SAC-944S2.html

Centreforce
"Centerforce Dual Friction disc has a full facing on the pressure plate side for drivability and longevity, while a carbon composite puc-style (segmented) facing is used on the flywheel side for a positive engagement and increased holding-capacity."
https://www.centerforce.com/products...91-porsche-944
Name:  CF Clutch.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  97.3 KB

Spec Stage 1 or 2:
Stage 1
Features an integrally molded carbon kevlar-based, high performance organic lining that offers smooth engagement and excellent life. This lining has an integrally bonded steel backing for strength under high clamp loads and temperatures. The hub is double sprung with spring cover relieves for flexibility and heat treated components for strength and durability. Best for street and many track/off-road applications.

Stage 2
Features segmented or full faced pure Kevlar disc with steel backing. This lining features excellent drivability like the stage 1, but offers slightly longer life and higher torque capacity. The hub is double sprung with spring cover relieves for flexibility and heat treated components for strength and durability. Best for street, drag, pulling and autocross.
Name:  Spec Clutch.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  18.3 KB

From the max torque info, it seems that I should be going for Stage 2 over Stage 1. (But the standard Sachs has been working OK so far - so these seem a little pessimistic.)

KEP
No KEP clutches for the S2.

I'm after opinions on the drivability of the Centreforce and the Spec Stage 1 and 2.

From searches I have done here, the opinion on the Spec Stage 2 seems to be divided between really good and terrible. Reviews also seem to indicate they are chattery to start but bed in after some k's.

I haven't heard much about the CF clutches, but they look good.

So which to get???
Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Replacing due to age or slipping from torque?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

The stock clutch seems to be OK, but is near its wear limit. Also, I forgot to mention that I will be increasing the engine power in the future, so I'm dubious a new Sachs would be sufficient - but who knows?

Also to add to the list there is also the SPEC Stage 3+

The flagship stage for a high powered street or race car that requires a manageable and friendly engagement, the stage 3+ features a carbon semi-metallic full faced material that offers unparalleled life, friction co-efficient and drivability characteristics in one single package. The hub is double sprung with spring cover relieves for flexibility and heat treated components for strength and durability. Great for street, drag, drift, autocross, road racing, pulling, rallye and drift.

Is the Stage 3+ more or less street friendly than the Stage 2??
Old 04-06-2013, 01:49 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used the center force before. It worked well on my sc car. In the end that car made around 300 hp, and I abused the crap out of it at the strip. Felt very stock.

With that said, if I did it over now, I would have a (non rubber center) disk resurfaced with feramic. Check with dnovak on here or Southbend.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:03 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Going with the southbend would probably put my car off the road for too long given the turnaround time to Australia. Was the CF clutch grabby or did it chatter on the street?
Old 04-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
The stock clutch seems to be OK, but is near its wear limit. Also, I forgot to mention that I will be increasing the engine power in the future, so I'm dubious a new Sachs would be sufficient - but who knows?

Also to add to the list there is also the SPEC Stage 3+

The flagship stage for a high powered street or race car that requires a manageable and friendly engagement, the stage 3+ features a carbon semi-metallic full faced material that offers unparalleled life, friction co-efficient and drivability characteristics in one single package. The hub is double sprung with spring cover relieves for flexibility and heat treated components for strength and durability. Great for street, drag, drift, autocross, road racing, pulling, rallye and drift.

Is the Stage 3+ more or less street friendly than the Stage 2??
If the stage 3+ is exactly the same as a 951, go with that, i've got it, love it. It's a street car. I let go of the clutch quickly with at least 350ft/lb torque at the wheels and it just grips and goes. if i feather it, it slips nicely.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:33 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Pauly
I thought your review implied there was not much transition between on and off for the spec 3+ ?

I also did some more web searching on Spec Stage 2 and 2+ clutches and found a LOT of negative feedback from squealing to grabbing, insufficient clamping force and early failure. Yikes.

So I'm now leaning towards the Centerforce clutch kit, or perhaps the CF pressure plate and Sachs friction disc.

The S2 really got the dud clutch compared to the turbo and 968 which both have larger discs.

Last edited by Eric_Oz_S2; 04-06-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 PM
joster86turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on this? Eric or Pauly?

I'm currently going through the same decision and at a loss on which way to go.

any new input would be awesome.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 PM
joster86turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by joster86turbo; 11-15-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by joster86turbo
Any update on this? Eric or Pauly?

I'm currently going through the same decision and at a loss on which way to go.

any new input would be awesome.
I have installed the centre force clutch. Haven't really got to drive it much yet, but it is very much like stock. The flywheel side had pucks and the pp side normal type face. Transition is very smooth. Cf uses a Sachs pp (exactly the same as stock).

Clutch is quite light. Will see how it goes on the track.

Cheers

Eric

Quick Reply: Which clutch for supercharged S2??