Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Wind Tunnel Testing

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill bet the 944 fenders make the car drag more than the narrow body 924, howeverthey allow yout fit wider wheels/tires(which create more drag) granted more grip too

wonder how the turbo rear under panel does, or the 968 rs spoiler, or even 968 vs 944 spoiler
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by morghen

really ?

i'll be back right here (post #47) to give my 0.02 on why the front of the 944 suffers from the front end floating (getting light at high speed).... first, a thought: look at the front lip in the avatar on the second to last post of the previous page..... 944s built to go very fast have, since the beginning of time (and we can cite scores of examples) been running some of the most jurassic front lip spoilers ever seen on the planet.... those huge Nascar spoilers on the Sprint cup cars are just about right for a 944 going maybe 60% as fast. (or did they first appear on the 944) ? and, has anyone seen the latest edition of Tony G's spoiler?—that thing's as big as your house.....

Originally Posted by 2bridges

150 mph speed indicated is 135 mph actual. This with correct factory tire. I have determined my speedo 8-9% off consistently from different events, timing equipment, etc. The speedo is long buried before 150mph is reality.
this guy races in a straight line with GPS and traps on the salt flats....
are your cars at 130 (indicated) really going 130 ? no. this goes for all our cars.

Originally Posted by Van

My car indicates almost 150 MPH for 135. (verified via GPS data acquisition)
this has been reported by hundreds of Rennlisters. so Van's post is a broken record with the 944/968.... our speedos require readjustment (i turned mine back 4 mph about 3 years ago). then ran the correct sized tires. for my car it's 26.6" my speedo is accurate to within 0.5%.

Originally Posted by ArthurPE

lift (negative down force) increases exponentially with velocity... at 190 mi/hr it would be very light and squirrely.... mine feels light at 140+, the highest I've had it...

more on the way.

Last edited by odurandina; 10-05-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:31 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
1. Most cars only require approx 4x12 inches of radiator opening to maintain cooling and maximize the efficency of the radiator without greatly affecting aero. Street cars are unfortunately subjected to stop and go traffic, and varying climates, so 4x12 may not be appropriate for all cars in all conditions.

5 vortex generators (mounted near the rear of the hatch where the air normally begins to delaminate do work.
rad area not an issue for 944 - only have a few inches anyway

would be interesting to see vortex generators on the hatch about halfway up...they arent very expensive taken off an evo...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for the intercooler you only need 1/4 of its frontal surface exposed to keep it above 90% of its own efficiency. Not to mistake what i said for 90% intercooler efficiency...i'm talking about the performance drop is more than 10% of its maximum efficiency after you decrease the exposed area to less than 1/4 of its frontal core surface.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 AM
ditch68
Racer

My car is maybe 5 mph slower than the speedo shows (GPS says) at 120. Speedo 125=GPS 120. Havent checked beyond that, nowhere safe or legal to do that until I get on a track with it.

Morghen, are the Carerra GT / 931 vented nose panels worth installing? I have considered adding my own vents (similar to the "Boss" 944 GTR car) or just buying one.

Odurandina, how many inches out front would you say would be "Jurrasic" enough? I am building one currently for my car, parking bumps will something I will have to avoid, as all the reading I have done seems to point at a minimum of 3" forward to be more than cosmetic. I want it to actually produce noticable improvement at speed.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

You've considered buying a 944 GTR? :P
if you have a 951 then the 931/GT nose panel wont fit...you have to combine it to the 951 panel.
if you have a 944 NA then its not worth installing..unless you want to confuse people weather you drive a 924 with a 944 body kit or a 931 with a 944 body kit, or just a 944 with a 931/gt vented nose panel :P
There are fiberglass parts for the 951 that have the vents...i've seen some for sale at about 150 euros.

the boss nostrels are quite sexy indeed.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
i'll be back right here (post #47) to give my 0.02 on why the front of the 944 suffers from the front end floating (getting light at high speed).... first, a thought: look at the front lip in the avatar on the second to last post of the previous page..... 944s built to go very fast have, since the beginning of time (and we can cite scores of examples) been running some of the most jurassic front lip spoilers ever seen on the planet.... those huge Nascar spoilers on the Sprint cup cars are just about right for a 944 going maybe 60% as fast. (or did they first appear on the 944) ? and, has anyone seen the latest edition of Tony G's spoiler?—that thing's as big as your house.....
pretty sure those are more for cornering speeds rather than straight line...not many tracks let you get up to 140ish, though with the power that his car makes it definitely happens
Old 10-05-2012, 12:46 PM
ditch68
Racer

You've considered buying a 944 GTR? :P
if you have a 951 then the 931/GT nose panel wont fit...you have to combine it to the 951 panel.
if you have a 944 NA then its not worth installing..unless you want to confuse people weather you drive a 924 with a 944 body kit or a 931 with a 944 body kit, or just a 944 with a 931/gt vented nose panel :P
There are fiberglass parts for the 951 that have the vents...i've seen some for sale at about 150 euros.

the boss nostrels are quite sexy indeed.
I would sell my kids for a 944 GTR!

I have a 951, so they would be functional. Just wondering if it would be worthwhile to help the intercooler or just a waste of time. I have seen the ones available for sale. I can do it myself if it is worth the effort. And on topic, I wonder how those 931 vents affect aerodynamics if at all?

I know the GTR intercooler and aero is of course completely different.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ditch68
I have a 951, so they would be functional. Just wondering if it would be worthwhile to help the intercooler or just a waste of time. I have seen the ones available for sale. I can do it myself if it is worth the effort. And on topic, I wonder how those 931 vents affect aerodynamics if at all?

I know the GTR intercooler and aero is of course completely different.

Jeff
Extra openings are not needed, and would likely hurt aero. What you need to do (this is what I did to my turbo Z) was build duct work that led from the grill opening up to the intercooler. Sides as well a the top and bottom. All air that entered the grill opening HAD to go through the intercooler then rad. Under hood temps dropped, and my hood which used to quiver at speed remained solidly in place. I built it by making a template from cardboard, then transferring it to thin guage aluminum sheet that I could cut with my electric metal sheers. I also designed it to be removable with a small wrench and screwdriver on the side of the road if I needed access. Not easy, but well worth it.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm as guilty as others by putting on a vented nose panel in the past as I liked the look of it. However without somewhere for the air to go (ala 968 rs hood vent) you are actually hurting your car's performance. It will likely build up a high pressure area and also possibly effect the cooling system's efficiency. So I included some hood vents which I know helped evacuate underhood heat but am still not sure if they actually helped with the flow through effect of the front nose vent. The next hood will have both side vents and a central one that is similar to the 968rs version. Plus include some dedicated ducting as described already. There has also been some speculation over opening up the front bumper for those with larger front mount intercoolers. Interestingly as the factory did, they only had a quite small opening with the stock setup. Some say that you don't need the whole face of the intercooler exposed but I think without quantitative testing I am going to opt for a larger opening with the different bumper panel. Not my car in last pic but just to show what I mean.
Attached Images     
Old 10-06-2012, 03:20 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Some say that you don't need the whole face of the intercooler exposed but I think without quantitative testing I am going to opt for a larger opening with the different bumper panel.
here

for the intercooler you only need 1/4 of its frontal surface exposed to keep it above 90% of its own efficiency. Not to mistake what i said for 90% intercooler efficiency...i'm talking about the performance drop is more than 10% of its maximum efficiency after you decrease the exposed area to less than 1/4 of its frontal core surface.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:07 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
Thanks! It was a huge and risky undertaking, as it took considerable $$ and time to set up, and obviously not everyone that helped with $$ was able to attend/help with the work. People donated cars, specific aero parts, and their time. It took a long time to decide what would be tested, as there are hundreds of body/aero kits built/designed over the years for the 1st gen 240-280z (1970-1978).
As for some key information that we gleamed from the results transfers to almost any car. The rest is very specific to the car.

1. Most cars only require approx 4x12 inches of radiator opening to maintain cooling and maximize the efficency of the radiator without greatly affecting aero. Street cars are unfortunately subjected to stop and go traffic, and varying climates, so 4x12 may not be appropriate for all cars in all conditions.

2 Air dams and wings etc had limited effects on their own, and in somecases hurt the aero (by aero, I'm generalizing the term to include drag, and front/rear downforce/lift) It was proven that these enhancements need to be used as a matched "system" in order to maximize the benefits. In other words, not all air dams worked well with all spoilers/wings.

3 Tires had a larger impact on drag than thought. Wide tires, or tires that stuck out past the fenders (exposed to oncoming air) Keeping them covered as much as possible (not talking about wheel well covers like old limos) many times the wheels stick out slightly when viewing the car from the front (normally down low on the fender where it curves in slightly)

4 Windows down causes significant drag (not an option for some racecars)

5 vortex generators (mounted near the rear of the hatch where the air normally begins to delaminate do work.

6 In the case of the Datsun's sugar scoop headlight buckets, installing covers is a huge improvement, so I expect switching to non flip ups for the 944 to have a similar effect.

7 Belly pans. even stock ones are important and effective. Home made rear diffusers much less so (only because of the r&d required to design them correctly.)

8 Filling in seams/holes/ducts that are not needed showed lots of potential, though again the front of a Datsun has terrible aero, that has huge potential gains when modifying it with air dams, belly pans, radiator ducting etc.

9 Getting air OUT of the engine bay either out the sides or under the car helps air pass through the rad, and reduces the amount of air that can "pile up" in front of the rad.

There was a ton more learned, and I used most of the info when designing/modding my 280z.
Disclaimer. I am not an aeronautical engineer. I am just a nutso car enthusiast that had way too much fun playing with cars for 25yrs and counting. I am just generalizing what I learned from the wind tunnel, and my personal racing experience.
Thank you very much!!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:24 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333pg333
Some say that you don't need the whole face of the intercooler exposed but I think without quantitative testing I am going to opt for a larger opening with the different bumper panel.
here

Quote:

Yes, and others have said this. But this was also what the factory did with the stock intercooler. Not with a much larger front mounted version. From what you're saying, it would seem that you're discussing the differences of making the opening smaller, not larger ?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

i've read this in a book about turbocharging written by corky bell...i believe we can take this man's word
in order to keep the front mounted intercooler efficiency at the maximum that it can perform, the exposed surface(yes the opening for it) must not be smaller than 1/4 of the frontal area of the intercooler.
i've designed my intercooler setup based on that book...it works very well
Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

So you're not talking about limiting the opening, you're saying not to limit the opening. My point was that the factory saw fit to only have the smallish opening for the factory setup. When people want to add a vented nose panel it will probably hurt, not help. However once you start to modify the car and put in a large fmic as on the Red car in post #55 you can see that there is a lot less restriction for this setup. What is your take on this?

Quick Reply: 944 Wind Tunnel Testing