Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would the 944 look today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011 | 10:33 PM
Rudeboy42
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jake3261
just found this on google image search. looks pretty spot on.
I think this is the best idea for a modern 944 (as in a front engined rear wheel drive base model Porsche).
Old 12-02-2011 | 06:04 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
it will be a the spiritual successor to our beloved 944.
As I posted very early on in this thread, the Boxster and now Caymen already fill that void. In fact, the Boxster replaced the 944......... They have similar power / weight, price points in the market etc.....

The car you are boasting about will be the spiritual successor to the 356, which is why most are already calling it that.

If you knew of all this, then you could have posted what you knew, and helped answer the question put forward
Never crossed my mind to "share" what I've been reading over the years on a new entry level model in this thread.
The thread title is how the 944 would "look" today, not what the next bargain basement Porsche will look like.
Two very different topics in my book.

rather than waiting for me to post what I found and then deriding it because in your opinion it will never happen.
You really have a chip on your shoulder with this topic, I suggest you chill out a bit Mr.Punky.

You are confusing many different points. Yes Porsche will probably produce a sub Boxster priced car. No I don't believe it will be 1,900lbs. If you feel this is "deriding" your post......that's not my fault.

If you have followed this closely, as you suggest, then share the wealth of your knowledge and let us less informed make up our own minds, as to Porsche's intentions.
Those who care are doing their own research. As I stated earlier it wasn't relevant to the thread (in my opinion).

Are you really saying you doubt the best minds at Porsche could not produce a powerful light weight car only because current Porsche owners now expect a car loaded with heavy accessories?
"Can not" and "will not" are completely different and you are confusing them. Could Porsche? Absolutely, without a doubt.

Will they? Doubt it. As I said I hope they do, I just don't see it happening.

Will it be 2,200lbs? Doubt it, unless they release a Club Sport version
Will it be 2,400 - 2,500lbs? Probably, which is a far cry from 1,900. But by current Porsche standards it would be a lightweight.

Are we splitting hairs here? Absolutely, it's what we do best on internet forums.

I think you are mistaking those who can afford new Porsches at current prices, as the *Porsche market* and the only market, even though there are those of us who would love to own a new Porsche, if they were cheaper.
Sure, there are millions of people who would love to own a new Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc.... if they were cheaper. Who said anything otherwise?

Porsche could increase their sales 100 fold by introducing a car to compete with the Toyota Corolla and they would make a fortune on it, that doesn't mean they are going to.

The fact a cheap Porsche saved the company once before means there is a precedent for it happening again.
You obviously have not seen the profit records and sales figures for the current Porsche model line if you think they need a bargain basement car to "save" the company.

whether they do or not isn't that relevant
That's a silly statement after everything else you've posted in this thread.

it's the fact they could
No kidding they could, nobody has said otherwise (including me). I simply pointed out I highly doubt they will and somehow this tied your undies in a knot.

Sorry if my opinion somehow bursts the bubble on all the "research" you did (all of which has been printed in every major car mag multiple times over).
Old 12-03-2011 | 10:39 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
The car you are boasting about ...
It's not a car yet, and I wasn't boasting, I was simply pointing out it's potential existence, and that there is a precedence for Porsche making a cheaper car, as they have done it before . Last time it saved the company but I wasn't suggesting the company needs saving now. That was you taking what was said out of context, which seems to be how you go about things.

You really have a chip on your shoulder with this topic, I suggest you chill out a bit Mr.Punky.
Wow not only can you twist words and use them to support your POV, you can also sense the emotion and state of the writer. I tend to think you are the one with the chip, as you clearly don't like anyone not taking your opinions as fact, and having a different perspective to you.

I'll spell it out for you. I think Porsche might make a new entry level car(the 9X1), that when photo's are available, will be how the 944 would look today(IMO), as Porsche designed the entry level 944 and are designing this. Simple enough for you ? I'm sure you will work out a way to twist this simple statement, and no doubt belittle me while your doing it.

You are confusing many different points. Yes Porsche will probably produce a sub Boxster priced car.
Hang on...I am confused ? then who said this
I don't see Porsche releasing a "bare bones" car..
Contradiction much ? will they or won't they ? Please don't answer, as I was just showing how one can easily twist what another said and make them look foolish, if you take things they say out of context, and internet trolls and bully's have been doing it for a long time. I actually do comprehend that your opinion is that they will release a cheap car but it won't be bare bones car. I am wondering if you could comprehend that I think, that they will make a cheap bare bones car, that kicks butt, because I don't think it will end up as the rattle bucket, you claim the elise is(and Porsche will make).

I think this, because I think Porsche could make a light weight, bare bones car that ppl would love, and it could kick butt, and go without luxury items. There is a precedent for this too, that you pointed out, in cars like the GT3, CS etc. We disagree that this potential new car will be one thing or the other, but neither of us knows, and they are just opinions. Can the 2 opinions co-exist or does your opinion have to rule ?

Are we splitting hairs here? Absolutely, it's what we do best on internet forums.
No you are splitting hairs. I was just pointing out something I found, that I thought was relevant. I didn't realise it has been in every car magazine ever, and that you already knew about it, had done countless research, assessed it, dismissed it as rumour, acknowledged it, dismissed it again etc. Should I PM you before I contribute to any other thread to make sure it is OK with you ?

You obviously have not seen the profit records and sales figures for the current Porsche model line if you think they need a bargain basement car to "save" the company..
No I haven't seen that information. I don't think they need a bargain basement car to save the company, nor did I state that I thought this was the case.

Sorry if my opinion somehow bursts the bubble on all the "research" you did (all of which has been printed in every major car mag multiple times over).
and I am sorry I contributed to a thread, that you seem to claim ownership of, and are the ruler of. I am also sorry that you are the type that uses fallacious arguments combined with taking statements out of context, to assert you authority over a discussion. Clearly your opinion is the only valid one, and I am sorry for straying into your insecure dominion, as I really was misguided to not realise I was entering your discussion. my bad
Enjoy your thread Sir, and be proud of your actions. You should be. Good job indeed
Old 12-03-2011 | 11:10 AM
wanta944
Instructor

Ok guys, let's cool it.

I've already said it, but I"ll say it again - the spirtual successor to the 944 is coming out this spring - the Subaru BRZ.

I'll know one will be sitting next to my 944 when I think the time has come to replace my current daily.
Old 12-03-2011 | 12:26 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

It's not a car yet, and I wasn't boasting, I was simply pointing out it's potential existence, and that there is a precedence for Porsche making a cheaper car, as they have done it before . Last time it saved the company but I wasn't suggesting the company needs saving now. That was you taking what was said out of context, which seems to be how you go about things.
I think you need to go re-read post #67 then read it again, then one more time for good measure.

I stated: "I have mixed feeling about....." which is clearly my opinion. You came back swinging with a smart-*** comment asking whether or not I work for Porsche.......ok?

I'll spell it out for you. I think Porsche might make a new entry level car(the 9X1)
So do I, we simply disagree on some specifics on the design / specifications. Why this appears to offend you so is beyond me.

that when photo's are available, will be how the 944 would look today(IMO), as Porsche designed the entry level 944 and are designing this. Simple enough for you ? I'm sure you will work out a way to twist this simple statement, and no doubt belittle me while your doing it.
Let me know when the first production model is sitting on a Porsche showroom, we'll chat then.

I never stated anything as fact about the looks of this mystery car either. I'm more concerned about the power / weight specs and more importantly the weight, which is the best selling point of the Elise.

Hang on...I am confused ? then who said this
Contradiction much ? will they or won't they ?
Again, you are confusing two different ides here.

A. Will they produce a sub-boxster car
B. Will it be a bare bones, sub 2,000lb like the Elise?

A - Yes
B - No

Clear enough yet?

because I don't think it will end up as the rattle bucket, you claim the elise is
You are accusing me of of twisting what you say? PLEASE show me where I called the Elise a "Rattle Bucket" in this thread....I'm waiting.

Let me help you out, my post: "rough ride, noise, comfort, no cup holders, basic stereo etc...all the ingredients that make the Lotus what it is.

So you sum this up with "Rattle Bucket"......... Nice

Have you driven an Elise? I have, one of my favorite cars and I hope to add one to the garage some day (unless Porsche builds a similar car, I would buy that one instead).

I was just showing how one can easily twist what another said and make them look foolish
Try reading everything in full before posting and you would avoid this.

I am wondering if you could comprehend that I think, that they will make a cheap bare bones car, that kicks butt, because I don't think it will end up as the rattle bucket, you claim the elise is(and Porsche will make).
I know they could, but I doubt they will (see that word doubt.....that means I have no facts or figures, it's just my opinion).

IMO - (this means In My Opinion) the new car will weight closer to 2,500 - 2,700lbs (like a 944) which is a tank compared to the Elise.
Even if they squeak out 2,200 - 2,300 lbs that's still too heavy in my eyes.

I think this, because I think Porsche could make a light weight, bare bones car that ppl would love, and it could kick butt, and go without luxury items.
Yes they could which I've agreed with since the start. I simply doubt they will - are you catching the difference yet?

There is a precedent for this too, that you pointed out, in cars like the GT3, CS etc. We disagree that this potential new car will be one thing or the other, but neither of us knows, and they are just opinions. Can the 2 opinions co-exist or does your opinion have to rule ?
My opinion only appears to be offending you. The funny thing is I hope I'm dead wrong and you are 100% right which makes all of your bellyaching about this very funny.

No I haven't seen that information. I don't think they need a bargain basement car to save the company, nor did I state that I thought this was the case.
Uh.....
"The fact a cheap Porsche saved the company once before means there is a precedent for it happening again.

Sorry, I took the bold portion as stating they will once again need a bare bones car to save the company - my apologies.

On that note the 944 was never "bare bones" either. Even the lightest production 944 is a tank compared to an Elise (not counting the club cars or any other special editions).

Actually we should be talking about a 924 replacement then.......which started as an Audi / VW..........

that you seem to claim ownership of, and are the ruler of. I am also sorry that you are the type that uses fallacious arguments combined with taking statements out of context, to assert you authority over a discussion.
Fallacious arguments? How does this even apply when it's all 100% speculation and opinions?

Clearly your opinion is the only valid one
Actually I think you have that backwards, which is what started this whole debacle of a discussion.

I'll sum it up for you one last time.........

A. I hope you are 100% correct in everything you said will happen with the new model.
B. It's my personal opinion that will not happen. The actual car released will be much heavier which negates the entire concept of an "bare bones Elise fighter".

Ok?

If Porsche releases a sub-boxster priced car that hits the scales even close to 2,000lbs - not only will I gladly eat crow, I'll probably order one.
Old 12-04-2011 | 10:41 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Actually it all started with this post
That may be, but that's irrelevant.

Fact is, Porsche is not going to take the Panamera into a two door version and price it down below or at Boxster levels with a 4-cylinder engine.
This where you first state your opinion as fact to someone else you disagree with

Like it or not, the spiritually(sic) successor to the 944 is the Boxster / Cayman.
and again opinion is stated as fact (@ me this time)

The only platform that could be used to bring back the 944 is the TT or A4 from Audi. No way Porsche will develop a fresh design / chassis for an entry level car. Which ironically is how the 944 came to be, started as an Audi.
and again your opinion as fact. It was after this, I enquired if you worked for Porsche, as you had just told me that what I posted, was wrong(see above quote).
You state categorically that no way Porsche will develop a fresh design, after my post about a fresh design, in direct response to my post about said fresh design, which included a block quote from me. But I started this ?

The fact you still cut up what I say (to take it out of context), all these posts later, and then call me a smart ***(name calling...really ?) for starting this, just shows your lack of maturity, and your total failure to comprehend, that stating your opinion as fact, isn't actually a discussion. It's just a justification of why what you say, is the final word, and heaven help anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion. You have proved this ad nauseam and inserting smiley faces, after the fact, doesn't make your behaviour any more acceptable (IMO)
Old 12-04-2011 | 12:42 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

when i had my 944 i was very content with the idea that they didn't make it anymore...everyone and their mother can get a 911 because they've been in production for almost 50yrs...the 944, not so much. i always got stared at in it, or people would ask what year or model. the older people who remember the car liked it because it was an 80's sports icon, small, affordable, fun, plenty of power, and good styling.

ok...so the 8v didnt really have plenty of power, but the turbo and s2's did
Old 12-04-2011 | 01:11 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Originally Posted by 87 944 C
...very content with the idea that they didn't make it anymore.... "
"people would ask what year or model. the older people who remember the car liked it because it was an 80's sports icon, small, affordable, fun, good styling."
Well said mate.
Add neutral handling and as a kid in the 80's: my halo car.

On topic, ( although 1,000 lbs heavier) the Audi A5 is another apt descendant.
Old 12-05-2011 | 03:09 AM
vicvtr
Advanced

Old 12-05-2011 | 04:48 AM
ktel
Instructor

Originally Posted by VirginiaF1
Well said mate.
Add neutral handling and as a kid in the 80's: my halo car.

On topic, ( although 1,000 lbs heavier) the Audi A5 is another apt descendant.
Νο, the A5 is a FWD. Or Quattro. It can't be a 944 descendant.
Old 12-05-2011 | 04:58 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

not a lot of room for them to bring out a 944-type car with the market saturated with cars like the nissan Z/infiniti G, hyundai genesis coupe, etc at a lower price-point than porsche could justify, especially with audi in the family...
Old 12-05-2011 | 12:47 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by wanta944
Ok guys, let's cool it.

I've already said it, but I"ll say it again - the spirtual successor to the 944 is coming out this spring - the Subaru BRZ.

i like the car. and i agree with your opinion it looks a lot like a 944 might look. layout is very close. is it a transaxle ?

the center grill is also a 997 copy and identical to the one i'm fitting.
Old 12-05-2011 | 03:23 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
not a lot of room for them to bring out a 944-type car with the market saturated with cars like the nissan Z/infiniti G, hyundai genesis coupe, etc at a lower price-point than porsche could justify, especially with audi in the family...
Be careful V2...you might be accused of stating undocumented facts about future Porsche models....

Actually it all started with this post
That wasn't even directed towards anything you said...
This is getting very entertaining.

This where you first state your opinion as fact to someone else you disagree with
Well, it's true. Every bit of data on the new baby Porsche has centered around a new Audi / VW chassis, not a stripped down Panamera. If you have data that states otherwise please share it, I have not seen it.

Your own links said so, going back on your own posted data now?
Oh I see, you are just jumped the shark from any discussion even remotely related to the thread, this is just a sad effort to do….well I’m not sure what your agenda is but it is rather entertaining.

If Porsche decides to do a 180 on all current design models and use the Panamera, here's hoping they do something with the tail end so it's not quite so......bulbous. That's the funny thing about the automotive industry. Even if the president of Porsche AG made a statement that agreed with my post 100%, that still doesn't mean it will never happen. I think most people realize this.........Nothing is ever FACT in the automotive world until it's on the showroom floor with a window sticker.

and again opinion is stated as fact (@ me this time)
That is a fact, the 944/968 was phased out and replaced by the Boxster. Was it a “spiritually successor”? That could be debated all day long. The 944/968 was the entry level Porsche filled by the Boxster. What part of this don’t you understand?

and again your opinion as fact. It was after this, I enquired if you worked for Porsche, as you had just told me that what I posted, was wrong(see above quote).
You state categorically that no way Porsche will develop a fresh design, after my post about a fresh design, in direct response to my post about said fresh design, which included a block quote from me. But I started this ?
Yea……a “fresh design” from Porsche is not a copied chassis from VW / Audi, so I stand by my statement, which agrees with your own post.
You are arguing with yourself now.

Not to mention if they were to use the Panamera chassis in a stripped down version (previous point....) that would also not be a "fresh design".

The fact you still cut up what I say (to take it out of context), all these posts later, and then call me a smart ***(name calling...really ?) for starting this, just shows your lack of maturity, and your total failure to comprehend, that stating your opinion as fact, isn't actually a discussion. It's just a justification of why what you say, is the final word, and heaven help anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion. You have proved this ad nauseam and inserting smiley faces, after the fact, doesn't make your behaviour any more acceptable (IMO)
Congratulations, feel better now?

The fact that every one of your posts is still there for everyone to read kinda blows holes in your “out of context” argument.
It’s customary around the internet world to cut out the “fluff” when trying to make a direct counterpoint so the specific topic isn’t lost in the chatter. But just for you I retained every last letter from your previous post here.

The failure to comprehend is all yours. It’s rather obvious you got a bug up your rear when someone had a counter post to the article you were so proud to share with everyone. Sorry if an opposing opinion or point of view is so threatening to you.
Old 12-05-2011 | 10:00 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Originally Posted by ktel
Νο, the A5 is a FWD. Or Quattro. It can't be a 944 descendant.
Doh! Touche'... Forgot drivetrain.
Old 12-05-2011 | 10:36 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

That wasn't even directed towards anything you said...
This is getting very entertaining.
So you block quoting me and saying the info I found was not relevant, wasn't directed at me ? really ? my bad, I have always thought when someone quotes you and then dismisses what you have said/linked to, then it is directed at you.

Well, it's true. Every bit of data on the new baby Porsche has centered around a new Audi / VW chassis, not a stripped down Panamera. If you have data that states otherwise please share it, I have not seen it.
I never said anything about the panamera at all. You are trying to put words into my mouth(another bullying tatic). Another poster talked about the Panamera, I just pointed out that you stated as fact it will never happen, and dismissed their contribution too

Your own links said so, going back on your own posted data now?
Oh I see, you are just jumped the shark from any discussion even remotely related to the thread, this is just a sad effort to do….well I’m not sure what your agenda is but it is rather entertaining
It was one link(not links and no data was published by me), and I explained why I thought it was relevant. You are now saying I said something about the panamera and am now going against the link because of it. I have never said anything about the panamera, so why do you keep saying I have ? I posted how you stated an opinion as fact, against another user, and now you are taking that out of context. See how you keep doing that ?

If Porsche decides to do a 180 on all current design models and use the Panamera, here's hoping they do something with the tail end so it's not quite so......bulbous. That's the funny thing about the automotive industry. Even if the president of Porsche AG made a statement that agreed with my post 100%, that still doesn't mean it will never happen. I think most people realize this.........Nothing is ever FACT in the automotive world until it's on the showroom floor with a window sticker.
relevance ? see above

Yea……a “fresh design” from Porsche is not a copied chassis from VW / Audi, so I stand by my statement, which agrees with your own post.
You are arguing with yourself now.
So if Porsche designed a car for VW/Audi, it's not a Porsche design ? Isn't that exactly how the 924/944 came about ? In the link it says they(Porsche) are working on a new modular system of design, so the design by definition, would be fresh and by Porsche. Sorry I thought you had read all that stuff in all your mags

Not to mention if they were to use the Panamera chassis in a stripped down version (previous point....) that would also not be a "fresh design".
again with panamera ? My link was to a fresh design, another poster mentioned the panamera. see above

Congratulations, feel better now?

The fact that every one of your posts is still there for everyone to read kinda blows holes in your “out of context” argument.
Yes they are, and so are yours, so ppl can clearly see where you have taken me out of context.

It’s customary around the internet world to cut out the “fluff” when trying to make a direct counterpoint so the specific topic isn’t lost in the chatter. But just for you I retained every last letter from your previous post here.
Well it's not customary to edit what someone says down to the point where it is out of context, so that you are not addressing the actual point they made. That is a troll or bullying tactic

I said
*Contradiction much ? will they or won't they ? Please don't answer, as I was just showing how one can easily twist what another said and make them look foolish, if you take things they say out of context, and internet trolls and bully's have been doing it for a long time. I actually do comprehend that your opinion is...*
and you edited to
*Contradiction much ? will they or won't they ? *
and then responded to just the edited quote. That is taking it out of context, and you edited the quote, to make me look foolish. That is a fact and it is there for all to see. It's also ironic that you did it again, to a post about you doing just that. Guess the truth about your bullying tactics doesn't sit well with you, so you have to try and rewrite history, so you can claim the moral high ground, when everyone can see how you actually go about things.

The failure to comprehend is all yours. It’s rather obvious you got a bug up your rear when someone had a counter post to the article you were so proud to share with everyone. Sorry if an opposing opinion or point of view is so threatening to you.
I just posted a link, and tried to share something I thought was relevant to the community. I didn't write it, so not sure how I have pride in it, or is finding a link on the internet a big deal for you ? I am just a humble user and you are an all powerful mod, so the fact I have responded to you, clearly shows I am not threatened by your bullying tatics or anthing else you have said. I guess others may be threatened by you and so you feel quite comfortable being so bombastic and in bullying users, as you are probably used to getting away with it

Quick Reply: How would the 944 look today?