Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOp
That is exactly what I was thinking. The "initiation"...dont worry, a few years from now all will be forgotten. Sucks though.. Will just make it that much sweeter....come Monday.

When I bought my 951...it was doing all kinds of weird **** in the PO's driveway...as I was getting ready to drive away. The headlights wouldnt come up..and the fog lights wouldnt turn on. He was like WTF...thats never happened? It hasnt happened since...

Like a cowboy selling his horse....it doesn't want to go. The ghost of Ferdinand lives...
Haha, thanks all. So I get a voicemail (slept in, very slight hangover) from the seller this morning... "hey Chris, looks like the money ended up getting in my account overnight... boy, sorry we had to reschedule everything... I appreciate you getting it all done... ok call me back..."

So there's a flight outta here at 3:00p...
Old 10-15-2011, 01:50 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Haha, thanks all. So I get a voicemail (slept in, very slight hangover) from the seller this morning... "hey Chris, looks like the money ended up getting in my account overnight... boy, sorry we had to reschedule everything... I appreciate you getting it all done... ok call me back..."

So there's a flight outta here at 3:00p...
wow...well, good! BTW, your experience with the bank is commonplace on Fridays. I sell cars and I can't tell you how many times deals for people with outside financing gets dropped because their bank didn't do what they were supposed to..ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON!

Safe travels...pics WILL be required!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:51 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Oh...and Cars and Coffee Nov. 5th (I was the only 951 last time)
Old 10-15-2011, 01:54 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
I will have always been your first!...

:ahem:
Haha, popped my cherry. Still waiting on that ride
Old 10-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by racerxrick
wow...well, good! BTW, your experience with the bank is commonplace on Fridays. I sell cars and I can't tell you how many times deals for people with outside financing gets dropped because their bank didn't do what they were supposed to..ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON!

Safe travels...pics WILL be required!
I believe it. Well I've printed my boarding pass and am outta here! Taking my DSLR camera- photo deluge and a new thread soon.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Medski
Instructor

Great, can't wait for the pics!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by Butters944
Haha, pulling the "eagle scout" card, something I will hopefully be able to do after this winter
Congrats! Keep it up- don't be a 'Lifer' like I and a buddy almost stayed. We got our Eagles a week before we turned 18. It was amusing in the end, but just do it!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Halfway there- connecting flight in Houston. Just checked with seller, all good!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:11 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dallas to Memphis via Houston... sounds like Southwest

Good luck, hope you have fun on the drive home!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Yep, Southwest and the car is in Nashville- as am I now! Got the handshake after an orientation drive around town and the car is now in my hands. Wow. Just wow. I'm grabbing dinner and a pint and hitting the sack for a big and hopefully uneventful drive tomorrow. New thread and pics on return!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:08 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sweet!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:39 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Yep, Southwest and the car is in Nashville- as am I now! Got the handshake after an orientation drive around town and the car is now in my hands. Wow. Just wow. I'm grabbing dinner and a pint and hitting the sack for a big and hopefully uneventful drive tomorrow. New thread and pics on return!
Man this is a fun thread! And the new car and owner will be local!!

I took mine on a road trip from Dallas through Eureka Springs and up to Branson (and drove it hard!) soon after purchasing the car. After getting to know the car better...and MUCH maintenance since then, I would not have had the ***** to make that trip.

But damn...it was nearly perfect!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Ha, yeah I'm going to get a better gauge on how I'm going to drive the car tomorrow in the daytime. I received the car and have been poking around it at night only so far. It's still overheating! Just at low speeds and if left idling for more than 5 min. Hopefully that'll still be an easy fix all things considered but surprised that wasn't seen in the final inspection. Runs nice and cool north of 45mph. It should be fine tomorrow but I'll get it looked at soon after I get back. Hitting up AutoZone for some coolant among other things before I leave town after checking fluids.

Got a good parking spot out front in a well lit area of the hotel and I can see it from my window! Almost want to sleep in it. Some dude just walked by and tried to get into my room. Peeked out and saw him glance at the number plaque after a min, "oh crap" and he walked off. Wrong number, hippie! I'm going to try and sleep- can only think of gobbling up miles now...
Old 10-16-2011, 01:44 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still over heating at low speed dam that's a PIA! Try running the AC, I believe it switches both fans on when engaged at low speeds...might be the fan relay or switch in any case.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Could easily be the water pump too...

Quick Reply: Driving my new '86 951 from Nashville to Dallas this weekend- what do I need?